[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Is this a new banner? It happens when you go to Program Files>>Windows Apps>> and try to open an app directly from the folder. In 8.1 it does not seem to require admin rights to try and run it, and I don't recall seeing a dialog that requests permission with a password.

2ilotfm.png

• Like 1

Classic Shell installed .... my liking of Windows 10 just took an up turn. :yes:

What does classic shell offer over the new Start menu? If anything it simply makes the system look ugly and slightly outdated if you are using the classic theme.

• Like 3

What does classic shell offer over the new Start menu? If anything it simply makes the system look ugly and slightly outdated if you are using the classic theme.

It gives a sensible, familiar layout, and relieves frustration.

And if anything is ugly, Windows 8-8.1 was irritatingly UGLY. :pinch:

Newer is not always better.

This definitely does NOT look better:

startmenu1.png

A large quantity of users did want to switch to Windows 10 because it DOES have a built-in Start Menu and were mostly staying away from Windows 8.1 because of the lack of it. Since Start Menu is back, using third party Start Menu replacements seems to serve no purpose anymore at all. Besides, Windows 8 didn't need any Start Menu replacement application, because it didn't have a Start Menu to replace, to begin with :rofl:

Is this a new banner? It happens when you go to Program Files>>Windows Apps>> and try to open an app directly from the folder. In 8.1 it does not seem to require admin rights to try and run it, and I don't recall seeing a dialog that requests permission with a password.

2ilotfm.png

Hmm, I have noticed that too. Happened even when I was trying to open up an application that I have downloaded from the Internet, even if it didn't require administrative privileges to run/install it. They must be beefing up the security, kind of goes a bit in the Linux way: Windows.UI.Popups.MessageDialog.Sudo :rofl:

I am rapidly becoming disenchantecd with Windows 10.

It is just repackaged Windows 8, with a Start menu.

And I don't but the arguement that it's a beta -- it'll be great when it's done.

Microsoft just isn't interested in making an intuitive OS, nor giving users what they want.

Drifting back to Windows 7 ....

I have to disagree with you Hum, Windows * and now 10 is a step in the right direction when it comes to intuitive.  i'll give you an example, when I upgraded my Home Desktop to Windows 8 from Windows 7 my father, who is 60 years old and very illiterate when it comes to computers figured out a lot of functions faster than he did on Windows 7

Between Classic Shell & resolving the Bluetooth problem, I am now quite pleased with Windows 10. :happy:

Glad I did not give up ...

If you're using Classic Shell in Windows 10, then you shouldn't use Windows 10. There is a reason Microsft blocked CS, they need feedback, and you're just not giving it to them, which in the long run, only hurts you.

• Like 2

If you're using Classic Shell in Windows 10, then you shouldn't use Windows 10. There is a reason Microsft blocked CS, they need feedback, and you're just not giving it to them, which in the long run, only hurts you.

Not to mention it'll just further ruin the chance of getting an effective built-in Start Menu for those who opt for it.

Oh my, that doesn't sound good... I really hope they'll put in a quick and simple way to entirely disable this tiles junk.

And I hope they'll provide an option to hide the textlist side of the menu. I have no desire to return to a "traditional" start menu, but a desktop-UI implementation of the Screen might be useful - maybe as a quick launch.

A large quantity of users did want to switch to Windows 10 because it DOES have a built-in Start Menu and were mostly staying away from Windows 8.1 because of the lack of it. Since Start Menu is back, using third party Start Menu replacements seems to serve no purpose anymore at all. Besides, Windows 8 didn't need any Start Menu replacement application, because it didn't have a Start Menu to replace, to begin with :rofl:

Replacement menus and shells existed long before Windows 8. No reason for them to magically disappear just because a menu is built-in again. I myself used Norton Desktop in Win 3.x, and was horrified to discover that not only was it not compatible with 95, but Program Manager had been replaced with a cumbersome text list!  :angry: 

But still, after all the complaints about the menu being gone, it seems counter-productive to use a replacement on a beta intended to get feedback on the new features - including the new menu.

Not to mention it'll just further ruin the chance of getting an effective built-in Start Menu for those who opt for it.

^This. It would be ironic if because of all the people using Classic Shell because the new menu isn't good enough yet, Microsoft scrapped the menu and went back to just the screen. After all, if they really wanted it, they'd use it and test it, right?  :rolleyes:  I wouldn't mind because I prefer the Screen. I'd just have an epic facepalm ready when people once again complained about "Microsoft not listening!"

Would you care to explain why the live tiles are "junk", "infested", "annoying", and "atrocious"? The problem I have with people hating on Modern UI, is I have yet to found anyone with coherent, justifiable points.

You can take a look at my post in another thread here, or take a look at this image where I summed up the main failing points of Metro:

Fv99mayq.jpg

Not mentioned there because it didn't fit in the comparison is that the Metro UI is a huge pain in the anus to use with a mouse (which is what 98% of all desktop users are still using). That's because Metro was designed for touch devices only, and mouse control was poorly implemented as an afterthought.

Stats about how tiles are universally hated by most people are here.

Indeed. Windows 8 is the epitome of ugly. Also, emulating the look and feel, in many regards, of an OS that's over 25 years old (Windows 1.0) wasn't such a smart idea :rofl:

Anyway, after throwing out all that tiles garbage from the start menu, it's usable for now... perhaps I'll install classic shell at a later time, we'll see.

^This. It would be ironic if because of all the people using Classic Shell because the new menu isn't good enough yet, Microsoft scrapped the menu and went back to just the screen. After all, if they really wanted it, they'd use it and test it, right? :rolleyes: I wouldn't mind because I prefer the Screen. I'd just have an epic facepalm ready when people once again complained about "Microsoft not listening!"

Or in a future update, Microsoft will remove the Start Menu again stating that "It was YOU Insiders who didn't give us enough feedback and telemetry towards the reimplementation of the Start Menu, because the majority of you have been using third party Start Menu replacements while we were expecting results to further enhance the one within Windows 10. It is YOU who didn't listen to us!".

You can take a look at my post in another thread here, or take a look at this image where I summed up the main failing points of Metro:

Fv99mayq.jpg

Not mentioned there because it didn't fit in the comparison is that the Metro UI is a huge pain in the anus to use with a mouse (which is what 98% of all desktop users are still using). That's because Metro was designed for touch devices only, and mouse control was poorly implemented as an afterthought.

Indeed. Windows 8 is the epitome of ugly. Also, emulating the look and feel, in many regards, of an OS that's over 25 years old (Windows 1.0) wasn't such a smart idea :rofl:

Anyway, after throwing out all that tiles garbage from the start menu, it's usable for now... perhaps I'll install classic shell at a later time, we'll see.

I believe you are getting live tiles mixed up with the Modern UI. What you are saying is Modern UI has flat icons and you apparently don't like that. Many OSs are moving to a flatter looks.  You also say Microsoft should leave CP until it has a full replacement, which they are doing, so I don't see your argument? In Windows 10 9901, CP is still there, but by RTM I think it will be gone and Settings will take over. I don't see how that has anything to do with live tiles, but okay.

Next argument: it was a bad idea...this is subjective and has no proof that live tiles are the issue

Moving on: 98% of desktop users use mouse as their main input... yes and Windows 10 addresses that, but how do live tiles create that problem?

Let me look at your image 

1. Apps can be only ran as tiles and full screen--- Wrong I can snap up to 3 items on one screen, Windows 10 now runs them as windowed apps

2. Tiles are definitely re sizable and movable--  Why did you put this?

3. Tiles should not overlap! What good is two icons on top of each other?

4.Very edgy without round edges- what is the problem with that? Your screen is a square

5. Monochrome designs != Windows 1 style

7. Questionable choice of colors - this will probably change with Windows 10

• Like 3

Fv99mayq.jpg

Metro UI is not designed for mouse/keyboard? So what do you say about one of the greatest media player ever with no touch support?

post-62693-0-85816800-1418873643.jpg

If there is anything ugly, it is classic shell. You are mixing usability with aesthetics.

Metro UI is not designed for mouse/keyboard? So what do you say about one of the greatest media player ever with no touch support?

Agreed. I've said it over and over on this forum that Metro "not being mouse/keyboard friendly" is a myth. It is quite usable with a mouse and keyboard, even more so, than the original Start Menu. Fly out menus are not mouse friendly! But then it turns into a whole debate because its become the accepted narrative, even from Paul Thurrott.

The primary reason Windows 8 failed was apps, apps, and apps, and start button. Here are the top issues with Windows 8

1.) Metro/Moden Apps use a pre-mature API called WinRT that forked from .NET unnecessarily.

2.) Metro Apps are a locked down platform for developers, a break from the past.

3.) Metro Apps can only run in fullscreen or snap mode, making "universal apps" impossible.

4.) Missing Start Button which causes confusion for users.

• Like 2

What the taskbar looks like when it wants your attention for something (and new photos app icon/tile):

2a0j85s.png

I still expect to see changes to the taskbar itself, they should be working on letting live tiles work fully when pinned to it and not just turn into a static icon. We should also get the option to extend the tab previews we get from running apps on the taskbar to live tiles. In that event when I hover my mouse over a closed store app pinned live tile i'll see a tab preview of the live tile like it'd show up on the start menu/screen.

I still expect to see changes to the taskbar itself, they should be working on letting live tiles work fully when pinned to it and not just turn into a static icon. We should also get the option to extend the tab previews we get from running apps on the taskbar to live tiles. In that event when I hover my mouse over a closed store app pinned live tile I'll see a tab preview of the live tile like it'd show up on the start menu/screen.

I wonder if we'll see something like the planned MixView tiles coming to Windows Phone? Along with the window preview which we see now, we'll get exploding tiles that show more information/updates from the app without having to click open the window.

17mblk8w5ybr9jpg_story.jpg