[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

Yeah now this is interesting. This morning, it appears an Nvidia Driver auto installed from Windows Update. Version 353.54, along with it install 3dVision, HD Audio, Nvidia update, etc. All of which I never install.

Here's the best part, the system is ignoring this setting...

driver-install.jpg

Yeah now this is interesting. This morning, it appears an Nvidia Driver auto installed from Windows Update. Version 353.54, along with it install 3dVision, HD Audio, Nvidia update, etc. All of which I never install.

driver-install.jpg

Windows Update on 10 has been doing that for a while now for certain drivers.

I am an insider but I moved back to Windows7, while I have the upgrade option in my system tray, I assume I will have to wait till the 29th? and their is no way to speed up this process?

You can download the ESD, like I did. Just upgrade from Win 7 and you're all set and activated too.

You can download the ESD, like I did. Just upgrade from Win 7 and you're all set and activated too.

Depends on when the insider program was stopped.

What? If you create and ISO the ESD you can use it to upgrade any Win 8.1 or 7 PC at any time, regardless if it was previously on the Insider Program or not. I presume it will work exactly like it will for normal users on the 29th.

driver-install.jpg

Try this: 

1. Tap on the Windows-key, type regedit and hit enter to open the Registry Editor.
  2. You may receive an UAC prompt which you need to accept.
  3. Navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching
  4. Locate the Dword SearchOrderConfig underneath it. It determines the download driver software from Windows Update preference.
  5. If you set it to 0, you block driver updates.
  6. If you set it to 1, you set it to download driver updates automatically.
  7. If you set it to 2, driver software is installed if it is not found on the system (this may not work anymore in Windows 10).
  8. Double-click on the preference and change its value.
  9. Restart the PC afterwards.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/07/21/how-to-disable-driver-updates-from-windows-update/

What? If you create and ISO the ESD you can use it to upgrade any Win 8.1 or 7 PC at any time, regardless if it was previously on the Insider Program or not. I presume it will work exactly like it will for normal users on the 29th.

What do you mean, what?

If the insider program was stopped before MSA accounts were required, they will NOT be activating.

If 10240 was never installed, there is an excellent chance that it too, will not be activating because there was a key change and activation servers are not online yet.

Insider never stops,  but they hold off the new builds until after 29th.. Then they will release new build to Insider members.

I am on insider build on my laptop.. it works fine.

I never had the Insider Preview natively on this computer, only in a VM. However, I did use my MSA account there. Maybe that's why it worked.

I active 8.1 and upgraded, after doing a clean install.

Insider never stops,  but they hold off the new builds until after 29th.. Then they will release new build to Insider members.

I am on insider build on my laptop.. it works fine.

...you absolutely can leave the Insider program.

I didn't say anything about the program as a whole stopping.

...you absolutely can leave the Insider program.

I didn't say anything about the program as a whole stopping.

I know I can leave but I rather stay in and test after 29th.  Since I have several pcs to play/test on.

• Like 1

If under "Get Insider Builds" it offers me to get started, does that mean that on this computer I'm not going to receive Insider builds?

I know I can leave but I rather stay in and test after 29th.  Since I have several pcs to play/test on.

And thats fine. I wasn't replying to you leaving it. I was addressing someone's concern on install 10240 before the 29th since they left the insider program some time back.

If under "Get Insider Builds" it offers me to get started, does that mean that on this computer I'm not going to receive Insider builds?

If it says "Stop Insider builds"   then that means you are receiving the builds

What do you mean, what?

If the insider program was stopped before MSA accounts were required, they will NOT be activating.

If 10240 was never installed, there is an excellent chance that it too, will not be activating because there was a key change and activation servers are not online yet.

The second laptop never was updated in the insider program, is not even associated with my Microsoft Account. It that case, as long as it updates from a legit Windows 8.1 install, it WILL activate, and once activated once from upgrade you can do clean install from an ISO. I suspect this is the same behavior for Win 8.1 upgrades. No one will get a product key, just the HW ID will be whitelisted by MS and you will be able to activate over and over again on that same equipment.

I'm glad we have people like you around here for help and tips. thanks  my friend!  (Y)

The second laptop never was updated in the insider program, is not even associated with my Microsoft Account. It that case, as long as it updates from a legit Windows 8.1 install, it WILL activate, and once activated once from upgrade you can do clean install from an ISO. I suspect this is the same behavior for Win 8.1 upgrades. No one will get a product key, just the HW ID will be whitelisted by MS and you will be able to activate over and over again on that same equipment.

Good luck with that.

Don't need it, done and activated. And several others have reported the same.

Uh huh.

I can point out just as many where it didn't work.

Some are activated and some are not.

He didn't say ALL.

Right, can't speak for others, just in my own testing for both computers I have tried everything I can to make them not activate after the initial upgrade (Reset, Clean install, clean install using different MS ID, or without MS ID) and all of them have ended up as activated in both computers.

Try this: 

1. Tap on the Windows-key, type regedit and hit enter to open the Registry Editor.
  2. You may receive an UAC prompt which you need to accept.
  3. Navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching
  4. Locate the Dword SearchOrderConfig underneath it. It determines the download driver software from Windows Update preference.
  5. If you set it to 0, you block driver updates.
  6. If you set it to 1, you set it to download driver updates automatically.
  7. If you set it to 2, driver software is installed if it is not found on the system (this may not work anymore in Windows 10).
  8. Double-click on the preference and change its value.
  9. Restart the PC afterwards.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/07/21/how-to-disable-driver-updates-from-windows-update/

Above is exactly what the image I posted does, mine is currently set to 0. I set it in the GUI as the image shows. Windows Update ignored it and installed the driver update anyway.

Right, can't speak for others, just in my own testing for both computers I have tried everything I can to make them not activate (Reset, Clean install, clean install using different MS ID, or without MS ID) and all of them have ended up as activated in both computers.

Well then why are you butting into my conversation with someone else, and speaking in absolutes?

Well then why are you butting into my conversation with someone else, and speaking in absolutes?

There is a PM button for private conversations......this is an open forum for discussion. It is annoying that a lot of people is paranoid about the activation, and they don't really understand that MS have changed the upgrade activations considerable from the past, and how it worked in the past might not necessarily be the case with Windows 10.

This is public forum, anyone can jump in whenever they want. 

If you do not want that, then take the conversation to the PM for private.. so anyone won't bother you two.

Simple.