Microsoft working on "total update" to File Explorer for Windows 10.

Yes get rid of the Win32 file manager, don't even keep it around like IE for backward compatibility, and include only the UWP Explorer. Then we will see Bob 10 fail even faster and all the idiots who came up with Metro will be fired. Windows Update Abuse Services is already killing Bob 10. :p

5 hours ago, Order_66 said:

And yet every single glorified metro app has shown to be missing a vast amount of features and functionality when compared to win32 programs.

Ah still trolling lies and bs about metro aren't you. no one's forcing you to use them you know. 

and you're living under the same illusion that UWP is metro.

4 hours ago, kozukumi said:

I thought all those games were actually Win32/DirectX based but delivered through the store in a UWP "wrapper"?

Edit: Also why on earth would you want a UWP version of a game with all the restrictions/limitations mentioned here http://techfrag.com/2016/02/27/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-on-windows-store-no-slicrossfire-pseudo-fullscreen-always-on-vsync/ ??

Things such as -

• Games purchased through Windows Store can’t run in exclusive fullscreen mode, instead they run in borderless windowed mode or pseudo-fullscreen;
  • Vsync is always on and can’t be turned off, which may lead to input lag and a drop in performance;
  • Nvidia SLI and AMD Crossfire are not supported, which means you won’t be able to combine two or more graphics cards;
  • Windows Store games include no support for modding;
  • Game overlays are not supported;
  • Windows Store versions of games are only compatible with Windows 10, so you’ll never be able to play them on older Windows versions.

I mean seriously that is just a stupid idea when you can buy a normal version without any of those limitations. 

I always run in borderless full screen in my games and are annoyed with games that don't support it.

vsynci is a full screen thing though, and unless you're running sub 30 fps you won't notice any lag.

with DX12 which all these games should support you don't need sli or crossfire.

modding is kind of up to the devs anyway, why would the store have special support for it.

oh no, no overlays. well now I just won't know what to do when those annoying steam and ubi overlays don't always pop up and nag me about annoying stuff every time I start the game. buy the steam version then.

Windows 10 is taking over among gamers according to steam stats, so... eh big deal, it's also a free effin update for everyone on steam except the minor minority of xp users 

4 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

Silly...I know.  But is it or is it not a splash screen?  Doesn't matter how quick it disappears.

Technically it's the base window, waiting for the controls to load and before it resizes to your last opened setting. so it's not really. even though it's claimed to be. 

2 hours ago, Chugworth said:

Oh no.  Please don't metro the file explorer.  :no:

I swear, it's going to be a gradual downhill ride as they continue to release "upgrades" for Windows 10.

Explorer is already metro so... eh...

6 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

I know...right?

I know that exists, but I barely see it. Occasionally for a split second, even on my machine which isn't particularly powerful compared to some of the rigs being rocked here. Certainly not enough for it to ever bother me (a higher tolerance maybe?). The way you (and others) repeatedly bring it up makes it sound like it is on screen for several seconds. 

There are a number of technical reasons that 'spash screen' needs to exist. 

The cynical side of me thinks that you (and others) only repeatedly bring this up is to spread FUD. I have yet to be proved wrong. ;-)

8 hours ago, kozukumi said:
  • Windows Store versions of games are only compatible with Windows 10, so you’ll never be able to play them on older Windows versions.

The Windows Store only is found on Windows 10 (and 8 depending on your viewpoint), so obviously they cannot be installed via the store on older versions. This really isn't a valid bullet point.

7 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

I know...right?

Untitled.jpg

How slow is your system that you're complaining of a screen you see for a split second (if that)?

1 hour ago, Dot Matrix said:

How slow is your system that you're complaining of a screen you see for a split second (if that)?

My i7 sandy bridge with 16GB of RAM shows that darn splash screen for about a second when I open calc... there is absolutely no reason for a splash screen on a small program... splashes should only be used on long loading programs

5 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Technically it's the base window, waiting for the controls to load and before it resizes to your last opened setting. so it's not really. even though it's claimed to be. 

4 hours ago, Fahim S. said:

I know that exists, but I barely see it. Occasionally for a split second, even on my machine which isn't particularly powerful compared to some of the rigs being rocked here. Certainly not enough for it to ever bother me (a higher tolerance maybe?). The way you (and others) repeatedly bring it up makes it sound like it is on screen for several seconds. 

There are a number of technical reasons that 'spash screen' needs to exist. 

The cynical side of me thinks that you (and others) only repeatedly bring this up is to spread FUD. I have yet to be proved wrong. ;-)

Two both of you.  A splash screen is still a splash screen.  Per Microsoft, every UWP must have a splash screen.  Which is odd ... why would a UWP need a splash screen when "legacy" w32 programs do not?  Why do I need "immediate feedback" while the app loads resources?  It is a minor annoyance ... but most certainly is not "FUD".

2 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

Does it matter?  Coming from the one who complains about "legacy" items but is ok with a splash screens.  Look, I do not care about splash screens for larger programs (like Word, Photoshop) ... but why the heck does every single UWP require a splash screen ... like the simplest calculator?

38 minutes ago, neufuse said:

My i7 sandy bridge with 16GB of RAM shows that darn splash screen for about a second when I open calc... there is absolutely no reason for a splash screen on a small program... splashes should only be used on long loading programs

But how fast is your drive? With SSD, splash screens are barely noticeable.

I just don't see what all the complaining is about. It's a simple design element.

30 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

But how fast is your drive? With SSD, splash screens are barely noticeable.

I just don't see what all the complaining is about. It's a simple design element.

I think my Intel nvme drive can handle it :rolleyes: (a lot of the example code out there for Universal app splashes have minimum time shown timers, so no mater what they show for x amount of time) the complaining is about why should I need a splash on a program that takes under 5 seconds to launch? If they make explorer a universal type app we will see the darn splash every time you open a folder because it will probably launch a new instance of the program for the new window, and if it is a single window only interface, gawd help all the admins out there and real workers that push documents and files all over the place........

Edited by neufuse

The only thing File Explorer needs for me is tab support. I swear, if they try to appify it...actually, just the thought has got me looking for file explorer alternatives.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

The only thing File Explorer needs for me is tab support. I swear, if they try to appify it...actually, just the thought has got me looking for file explorer alternatives.

That's what I'm scared of... making the shell an "app" instead of a shell..... people tend to forget explorer is more then a folder / file viewer..... it's the whole desktop UX (task bar, start, system tray, file explorer, desktop)

9 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Don't be silly. You wouldn't have installed Windows 10 if you didn't expect a complete revamp eventually.

2 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

Don't be silly. You wouldn't have installed Windows 10 if you didn't expect a complete revamp eventually.

there is a huge difference between a revamp and making the shell an "app", a shell in theory can never be an app since it is well a shell

1 minute ago, LimeMaster said:

The thing is I've enjoyed the upgrade and new features of Windows 10. You know what I've also enjoyed? Being able to avoid apps. Thankfully a joy of Windows is that there are plenty of alternative programs available, so if this were to happen I won't be too put out of place.

11 minutes ago, neufuse said:

That's what I'm scared of... making the shell an "app" instead of a shell..... people tend to forget explorer is more then a folder / file viewer..... it's the whole desktop UX (task bar, start, system tray, file explorer, desktop)

In fairness 'start' is already an App... 

5 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

In fairness 'start' is already an App... 

actually it's not in the sense of how it works, it's coded into explorer but uses "modern" API's to make it work how it is, it's not a full blown independent app like the other apps are... you can't launch "start" without explorer working, hence why if you kill explorer you kill start

It drives me up the wall that thumbnails DO NOT scale with DPI.

This also means breaking the Windows Explorer bloat (menus, thumbnails, etc) other applications install.

30 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

The thing is I've enjoyed the upgrade and new features of Windows 10.

You know what I've also enjoyed? Being able to avoid apps. Thankfully a joy of Windows is that there are plenty of alternative programs available, so if this were to happen I won't be too put out of place.

From the desktop side of things, there hasn't been much changes from Windows 8. So I'm assuming you missed a Windows release.

I'll admit I like the fact that all versions of Windows are heavily customizable.  

9 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

From the desktop side of things, there hasn't been much changes from Windows 8. So I'm assuming you missed a Windows release.

I'll admit I like the fact that all versions of Windows are heavily customizable.  

yep, windows 10 is highly customizable.... unless you want a different background color that isn't pre-picked for you..... the deeper we get into removing "legacy" control panels the less we have choice wise it feels like for customization...

38 minutes ago, neufuse said:

yep, windows 10 is highly customizable.... unless you want a different background color that isn't pre-picked for you..... the deeper we get into removing "legacy" control panels the less we have choice wise it feels like for customization...

The legacy Control Panel will only get removed once all the functions get moved over to the Settings app. And we've get got a long way to go before that happens, especially since recent builds have been primarily focusing on adding features to Edge.