AMD Ryzen CPU lineup leaked, will have 17 versions with the flagship R7 1800X 'Black Edition' CPU at 4GHz

4 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

And I'm prepared to be replacing the CPU/mobo if necessary so we'll see how it goes. The confidence I'm seeing from them after the poor Bulldozer rollout gives me some faith but that doesn't keep it from bugging out in the first run :laugh:. I don't usually do early adoption, but I might as well give it a wirl while I still have a perfectly functional rig in my back pocket in case this goes south.

Please share your experiences when you're ready to, I'd be VERY interested in your findings, (slightly jealous as I cannot afford to do that as I'm currently tapped out <mortgage payments and so on>)

13 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Please share your experiences when you're ready to, I'd be VERY interested in your findings, (slightly jealous as I cannot afford to do that as I'm currently tapped out <mortgage payments and so on>)

Well if all goes well between a $500 gift card from work and selling my old rig for $500, I'll only be out ~$300 for a fully new build.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2017 at 0:53 PM, Ravensky said:

Exactly, I trust AMD like a trust the Democrats...lol NOT!

Depends on where you are.

Both my current notebooks are AMD, so I can't exactly say *boo* to AMD.  Also, I'm currently driving DDR3 on my desktop - if I go jump in the lake (Sky, Kaby, or Coffee), I'm forced to change RAM to DDR4 (owtch) - with Ryzen, I can take it with me.  This would be the first AMD-based build since the 386DX-40 that I built for the Windows 95 beta (and wound up my first Windows NT box before I sold it).

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 4:47 AM, Emn1ty said:

Well if all goes well between a $500 gift card from work and selling my old rig for $500, I'll only be out ~$300 for a fully new build.

off topic

ironically, my original username was Enmity in Panjabi

/off topic

• Like 2

And the AMD fun begins

"AMD Ryzen CPUs Facing Issues with High Frequency DDR4 Memory; Fix Expected in 1-2 Months": - http://www.mobipicker.com/amd-ryzen-high-frequency-ddr4-memory-issue/

"AMD Ryzen 1700 disappoints on GTA 5 leaked Benchmark against Core i7 7700K" - http://www.gamepur.com/news/25935-amd-ryzen-1700-disappoints-gta-5-leaked-benchmark-against-core-i7-7700k.html

43 minutes ago, xendrome said:

And the AMD fun begins

"AMD Ryzen CPUs Facing Issues with High Frequency DDR4 Memory; Fix Expected in 1-2 Months": - http://www.mobipicker.com/amd-ryzen-high-frequency-ddr4-memory-issue/

"AMD Ryzen 1700 disappoints on GTA 5 leaked Benchmark against Core i7 7700K" - http://www.gamepur.com/news/25935-amd-ryzen-1700-disappoints-gta-5-leaked-benchmark-against-core-i7-7700k.html

We'll see if this is the case with my build. If so I can pull down the frequency and return the RAM I already bought. Not the end of the world... yet.

On 2/23/2017 at 0:07 AM, PGHammer said:

Depends on where you are.

Both my current notebooks are AMD, so I can't exactly say *boo* to AMD.  Also, I'm currently driving DDR3 on my desktop - if I go jump in the lake (Sky, Kaby, or Coffee), I'm forced to change RAM to DDR4 (owtch) - with Ryzen, I can take it with me.  This would be the first AMD-based build since the 386DX-40 that I built for the Windows 95 beta (and wound up my first Windows NT box before I sold it).

I want to say that Ryzen is DDR4 only.  I'm not sure if there will be any DDR3 Ryzen boards.

57 minutes ago, xendrome said:

So an Intel Core i7 7700K overclocked to 5 GHz is compared to an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 stock at 3 GHz?

One hell of sensational journalism.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

So an Intel Core i7 7700K overclocked to 5 GHz is compared to an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 stock at 3 GHz?

One hell of a sensational journalism.

With a single game this also stinks. Even though I suspect Ryzen will be the biggest letdown since no mans sky

yea ... that seems like a really poorly conducted review.  I'd wait until the 28th when reviews drop like flies.  All this early stuff is ... well early. :) 

17 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

We'll see if this is the case with my build. If so I can pull down the frequency and return the RAM I already bought. Not the end of the world... yet.

Memory is so expensive right now.

I just need 8 GB DDR4 and don't even care what speed it is.

...just need it on a budget

15 minutes ago, TPreston said:

With a single game this also stinks. Even though I suspect Ryzen will be the biggest letdown since no mans sky

AMD said since last year that Ryzen 7 1800X (before the name was announced, obviously) would be as fast if not faster than the Intel Core i7 6900K.

Isn't that what all the leaked benchmarks show?

Edited by Mockingbird

1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

AMD said since last year that Ryzen 7 1800X (before the name was announced, obviously) would be as fast if not faster than the Intel Core i7 6900K.

What?  Did you by chance mistakenly quote me?

4 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

AMD says a lot of things, Best not to count your chickens before they hatch.

17 minutes ago, Jim K said:

yea ... that seems like a really poorly conducted review.  I'd wait until the 28th when reviews drop like flies.  All this early stuff is ... well early. :) 

I thought the reviews don't come out until March 2.

1 hour ago, xendrome said:

And the AMD fun begins

You must really dislike (maybe even hate) AMD going by the various comments you've made about it.

While the first one does look like an issue for some people, it's good that it will only take a BIOS fix.

The second one looks like bull, from setup to the graph itself. Not that I don't expect 7700K to legitimately win in most games due to its high frequencies. That being said, when has AMD stated that they'll beat the 7700K in gaming?

Edited by Luc2k
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

I thought the reviews don't come out until March 2.

March 2d is the launch date.  February 28th is the NDA lift per sites like WCCFTech and TechPowerUp

Edit ... hmm Hexus put it at March 2d.  

So...dunno. :) 

Just now, Jim K said:

March 2d is the launch date.  February 28th is the NDA lift per sites like WCCFTech and TechPowerUp

I'm not sure any more with the ton of articles that came out, but I think the final date is launch day. Might be a nice touch to still be the 28th considering the pre-ordering nonsense.

2 hours ago, xendrome said:

And the AMD fun begins

I am not an AMD fanboy, but the issue was a bug with an Asus motherboard. These are rumors of course as we will see as reviewers are under NDA for a time (probably until next Friday or close here of). Second the 1700 is 3rd place for Ryzen. The 1700X, 1800, and 1800X are higher performance. The 1700 has smaller cache and is clocked slower. Infact for GTA V an 1600X should easily outperform the 1700.

GTA V is a single threaded game optimized for Nvidia and doesn't scale well with lots of stream processors or CPUs.

Unfortunately, since I do VM work for my certs I won't be using Ryzen anytime soon unless the virtualization cpu instructions improve or the later ones are supported with Hyper-V and VMWare Workstation. MS dropped support so if anything if I had money and my system died tomorrow I would be plunking down on a 6 core Intel system anyway so I am non biased. I do want AMD to succeed as we all benefit.

1 hour ago, TPreston said:

I wouldn't worry. GTA V doesn't scale well. The game performs better with less cuda/stream & cpu cores clocked faster than other games. Also the 1700 is the slowest of the 8 core systems. THe 1700X, 1800, and 1800X are all faster and GTA will perform better on those. For Ashes of Singularity AMD creamed INtel :-)

Even the lesser 1600X unreleased should theoretically outperform the 1700 in GTA V and older games. Things like Doom 2016 will perform better as they do more things in parallel.

On 2/11/2017 at 7:07 AM, Mockingbird said:

Supposed benchmark of the Ryzen 7 1700X:

We finally have some synthetic benchmarks of Ryzen. The CPU used in this test still carries internal codename (AMD Ryzen: ZD3406BAM88F4_38/34_Y), where F4 stands for B-steppings qualification sample, in other words, it shouldn’t be much different from a retail model.

It’s worth noting that Turbo mode for Ryzen CPU is currently disabled (or undetected), so the performance could still theoretically increase. The Ryzen 7 model that was used for this test has a base clock of 3400 MHz. Judging from what we know so far, this means Ryzen 7 1700X, so it is not the fastest Ryzen model out there.

What’s also quite interesting is the fact that Ryzen 7 CPU was tested on .. MSI A320 motherboard, which looks like this. This is an entry-level AM4 motherboard, so we don’t know how did that affect performance, maybe that’s why Turbo mode was undetected in the first place.

Finally the last important thing to note are memory timings (17-17-17-39 2T) @ 2400 MHz. This also could’ve negatively affected the performance, as those timings are not very good.

AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-baseline-e148681378371

Passmark benchmark

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-1-1000x625.png

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-2-1000x612.png

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-3-1000x613.png

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-4-1000x613.png

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-5-1000x610.png

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-6-1000x614.png

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-7-1000x618.png

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-8-1000x615.png

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-9-1000x613.png

The following metrics are a comparison between my stock Intel Core i7 6800K and Ryzen (presumably Ryzen 7 1700X):

A side-by-side comparison to my i7 6800K:

2017-02-11-12_30_57-PerformanceTest-9.0-

SiSoft benchmark

We also have the first SiSoft benchmark result. The 16-thread Ryzen CPU is ranked at a 2513th position. The qualification was labeled as excellent performance. The test was performed in Multi-media processing.

AMD-Ryzen-Sisoft-benchmark.png

This gave Ryzen 7 1700X 42nd position in the ranking in this particular test. That’s just under Kabylake Intel Core i7 7700K, which was running 100 MHz above specs.

AMD-Ryzen-7-Multi-media-performance-1000

Source: https://videocardz.com/65825/first-amd-ryzen-7-1700x-benchmarks-are-here

Also to note this is not even the fastest Ryzen. Both the 1800 and 1800X are both clocked faster so I expect it to challenge those on INtel highest end in those benchmarks. But this sure beats the i7 7700K which is what most geeks would be buying if If it were not for Ryzen.

On 2/7/2017 at 4:42 PM, BinaryData said:

AMD has nothing on Intel. Years of bringing successful chips to the market, and continuing to improve them will keep them #1. I work in a DC, there's a reason why I only see Intel chips. We got rid of our AMD because their service was crap, and their products under performed for the same price as Intel. I can say for a fact that Intel is going to drop new CPUs this year rocking 32 Cores, 64 threads. AMD can't even build a decent desktop processor..

Dude

Go to maximupc, anandtech, and other sites before stating this? You maybe in for a shock. Also AMD has a server grade version of these chips coming out next to compete with the xeons. AMD AthlonXP's historically hammered INtel Pentium III's and Pentium IV's for almost 5 years man. They were the fastest because of IP bought by Digital Equipment including the lead designer of the ALpha RISC chip. Infact he was rehired to make the Ryzen from scratch in 2012 and this is the result.

On 2/9/2017 at 10:12 AM, Mockingbird said:

Like you said, it would run, but without the proper drivers. If you run into issues, then you are on your own.

Skylake is supported on Windows 7, but Kaby Lake is not.  Since Kaby Lake is not a significant upgrade from Skylake, many people just don't care.

AMD told PCWorld that it won't be releasing drivers for Windows 7.

Good riddance. It's an eight-years old OS.

For geeks this is a WTF moment. For corporate buyers NOT supporting Windows 7 is a WTF moment that could hurt sales. INtel kept XP support for their i7s all the way until Haswell. Infact some XP loyalists prefered those over Skylake so they can install 2001 era XP on them.

If you have 70,000 computers all running in different OU's with so many different combinations of software and client specified software this becomes a nightmare to manage. Worse, if you have management who doesn't like IT in an almost hostile environment if something breaks then you have a fear of change where running Windows 7 == keeping your job. I used to work for 2 such companies which will remain anonymous.  

My point is Windows 7 support means Dell and HP can sell them to companies which are ready to get rid of their Windows 7 boxen kicking and crying to the tune of tens of thousands a cycle! Before you can migrate you need your hardware to support both the new and old OS. Right now this means Skylake over Ryzen as this year they can start the hardware refresh and next year start the Windows 10 migration.