Star Trek: Picard (CBS All Access)

On 27/07/2022 at 13:57, George P said:

It's the 3rd AND final season, so there's got to be some new show to take it's place unless Paramount wants to cut back and spread things out a bit more?  Personally I'd rather they not do a new show to replace it, stick with Disc, LD, Prodigy and SNW.   Use the money that you would've spent on a new 5th show and give us more episodes of SNW for example.  

But as far as the news coming out of SDCC goes, it sounds like they still plan to do 2 new shows.  Don't know what they are yet.  Maybe a Picard spinoff with Captain Seven would be interesting.  

Betting Disco wraps up soon. to be replaced by a 31st century starfleet academy series w/ Tilly. Ill take a 25th centuty seven of nine lead series for a few seasons, mixed with S31. Betting the emperor ends up sliding into the 25th century to combat the "threat" we see at end of Picard season .

They'll probably announce more about the shows with the next First Contact Day (April 5).

On 27/07/2022 at 13:59, shockz said:

Ill take a 25th centuty seven of nine lead series for a few seasons

I'm really hoping for a Fenris Rangers series with her.  Not sure how that will work if she's in a command uniform for S3 or she "retires" at the end and goes back the Fenris Rangers.

• 2 weeks later...

This show has been a complete disaster. I'm almost afraid of what's going to happen with season 3.

It's time for Trek to consolidate. End Picard, end Discovery, and focus on Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds. No more character spinoffs.

Season 2 was great. Seems like nobody has the attention span for multi episode arcs. Can’t wait for season 3. 

Strange new worlds has been fun, but it’s no better or worse than the other shows. Then again some of the naysayers here are too insecure about being woke to like them. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

• 1 month later...

I have to admit that on Discovery, I have seen someone in a wheelchair. Being in one myself, I know how difficult if not impossible that would be. A wheelchair user in space is bonkers to me, but 8it is politically correct. STUPID is more of an accurate statement, actually.

On 10/09/2022 at 08:00, NinjaGinger said:

I have to admit that on Discovery, I have seen someone in a wheelchair. Being in one myself, I know how difficult if not impossible that would be. A wheelchair user in space is bonkers to me, but 8it is politically correct. STUPID is more of an accurate statement, actually.

DS9 did that years ago...

image.png.bdf25c84914d30c212ed279653ebec63.png

And so did classic Trek, 50+ years ago...

image.thumb.png.498b70f7d1423b4cd12e81252cce766b.png

Discovery really did nothing new... It just rehashed old stuff, badly.

On 10/09/2022 at 06:26, NinjaGinger said:

I know the others did it, but now it seems more prominent. There is inclusion and over the top inclusion, and there are many examples.

That guy had no lines and if you weren’t looking, would miss it entirely.  How is that more prominent than an entire episode dedicated to a character in a wheelchair, or pikes now series foreshadowing his fate. 

So strange. Trigged on a blip of a wheelchair in discovery and laser focused on it. 

Also, per your previous post, how would it be impossible? Particularly with the advent of transporters and anti-grav units we have all saw on Trek. DS9 exploded some limitations, on a bulky cardassian “monstrosity”. Discovery and starfleet ships obviously would be more handicap accessible. 

• Like 2

On 07/08/2022 at 17:04, Dot Matrix said:

This show has been a complete disaster. I'm almost afraid of what's going to happen with season 3.

It's time for Trek to consolidate. End Picard, end Discovery, and focus on Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds. No more character spinoffs.

New writers should have to check in with legacy writers. Institutional memory demands that you not write in a vacuum. New ideas are fine, but context is everything. Sensibilities and fashion of today are not Star Trek ideals. As Seven Of Nine says in reaction to Neelix' culinary skills, 'it is offensive'.

On 10/09/2022 at 15:50, Dick Montage said:

Now it seems more people are triggered by inclusion

I think people get triggered when show runners make a major change just to be part of a social conversation, like for example changing a character from male to female, or a different race when the source material doesn't support such a change, for example the new film Pinocchio has the blue fairy as an African American: i.e. checking boxes... Pike was always in a (modern take on a) wheelchair even back in the 60s and nobody even blinked at this, except maybe the horrible disfigurement his character also had as part of the story. Geordi was always blind, and had future tech to help him see, these were disabilities too.. just to name a couple from decades past.

But okay, back then a large portion of the crew/show were not portrayed prominently as disabled or gay, or bi-polar or irritatingly weak minded and didn't belong in the part, for example on a bridge of any ship (Tilly). I cringe at the thought that her indecisiveness might earn her her own show as others have guessed she might be part of a Star Trek Academy show, yes she does belong in teaching so that she has answer sheets and she can second guess every command decision right along with her pupils, but does she belong in command? Nope. 

There's also the showrunners attempt to check boxes, thinking their viewers are mindless idiots and wouldn't see such things, but now when you point it out as a complaint, you're immediately labeled as a snowflake as well 😂

• Like 3

Stories written in a different time reflecting a different audience. That audience has changed and so should the representation.

Optimus Prime completely changed from one type of truck to another. Big deal.

• Like 2

On 10/09/2022 at 17:30, Dick Montage said:

Optimus Prime completely changed from one type of truck to another. Big deal.

Not the same thing. A truck is still a truck, it makes sense for that truck to blend in with other trucks of the same era.

[ SPOCK: Admiral, may I ask you a question?
KIRK: Spock, don't call me Admiral. ...You used to call me Jim. Don't you remember? Jim. ...What's your question?
SPOCK: Your use of language has altered since our arrival. It is currently laced with, ...shall I say, ...more colourful metaphors. 'Double dumb ass on you' ...and so forth.
KIRK: You mean profanity. That's simply the way they talk here. Nobody pays any attention to you if you don't swear every other word. You'll find it in all the literature of the period.
SPOCK: For example?
KIRK: Oh, the collective works of Jacqueline Susann. The novels of Harold Robbins.
SPOCK: Ah! ...'The giants'. ]

F-bombs aint Trek, I submit to you. No devolved sensibilities please. Colorful metaphors on occassion is fine. DS9 was genius even though it went dark for some at the time. Hat tip to showrunner. Color between the lines still gives one  wide enough bearth for any creativity, style, innovation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/09/2022 at 17:59, rocky01 said:

KIRK: Spock, don't call me Admiral. ...You used to call me Jim. Don't you remember? Jim. ...What's your question?
SPOCK: Your use of language has altered since our arrival. It is currently laced with, ...shall I say, ...more colourful metaphors. 'Double dumb ass on you' ...and so forth.
KIRK: You mean profanity. That's simply the way they talk here. Nobody pays any attention to you if you don't swear every other word. You'll find it in all the literature of the period.
KIRK: Oh, the collective works of Jacqueline Susann. The novels of Harold Robbins.

F-bombs aint Trek, I submit to you. No devolved sensibilities please. Colorful metaphors on occassion is fine. DS9 was genius even though it went dark for some at the time. Hat tip to showrunner. Color between the lines still gives one  wide enough bearth for any creativity, style, innovation.

I fully agree, it is getting so bad that it is now perfectly acceptable for a 13yo kid to drop f-bombs throughout a movie like SAMARITAN, which is on Amazon Prime, so expect this to start creeping into kid/teen shows too at some point.

On 10/09/2022 at 10:59, rocky01 said:

This honestly was something that made Trek so dry to wider audiences. Up until recently it was full of cringe humor, classical music and Shakespearean plays for holodecks and references. If they wanted to go crazy and spice it up we’d get Dick Tracy. None of that was appealing in the 90s to most audiences, let alone one in 2022. Their attitude was one of a glass bubble and gave mansion, rich class vibes. There only grit was deep space nine, and it got shat on by berman and die hards for it even back then. 

When discovery had a rave party the one episode I knew your types would

probably have a meltdown about it. 

Is discovery over the top? Maybe, and not until recently. Hopefully they rein it in a little bit, but the trek you’re quoting was from another era and would be a complete flop now. 

People hoping for a TNG style show with utopian ideas in 2022 might as well abandon ship and stick to reruns. It’s never going to happen. 

The overall theme of post enterprise trek is far more realistic, more human, more relatable. And shock, has people that actually exist and stick up for themselves and rights. Shock. Horror. 

Edited by shockz
  • Like 2

To each his own. Some things are meant to endure beyond the rise and fall of empires.

Trek is supposed to to accentuate the best in our selves. if you want something else, there's plenty to choose from out there. Suggest we don't dare mess up our collective aspirations with myopic moral banctrupcy and snarky ideologically driven tropes.

Yeah because when you have a holodeck that can literally make anything you wish for, you want to do gritty down to earth/appeal to poor people things in the holodeck instead 🙄

On 10/09/2022 at 12:00, Steven P. said:

Yeah because when you have a holodeck that can literally make anything you wish for, you want to do gritty down to earth/appeal to poor people things in the holodeck instead 🙄

Yes because Shakespeare plays and 1920s crime dramas is how I’d spend a weekend whenever I’d run a holodeck program lol 

• Like 1

On 10/09/2022 at 11:33, Steven P. said:

Not the same thing. A truck is still a truck, it makes sense for that truck to blend in with other trucks of the same era.

And not for representation to do so also?

A human is still a human.

On 10/09/2022 at 17:33, shockz said:

The overall theme of post enterprise trek is far more realistic, more human, more relatable. And shock, has people that actually exist and stick up for themselves and rights. Shock. Horror. 

Congratulations on completely and utterly missing the ENTIRE POINT of what Star Trek was always created to be.  Not an extension of what we are NOW, but a vision of a better future where humanity has solved it's internal problems.

On 10/09/2022 at 15:06, FloatingFatMan said:

Congratulations on completely and utterly missing the ENTIRE POINT of what Star Trek was always created to be.  Not an extension of what we are NOW, but a vision of a better future where humanity has solved it's internal problems.

I disagree. It’s always been a take on modern day issues set in a way that opinions on todays society could be easier to stomach with an audience but still get its point across.

It’s always been about the here and now, with an alien of the week portraying a modern day issue happening. Sure, you’ve got episodes strictly based in future tech stories, but deep space nine and the original series in particular had many, many episodes that were based in reality. 

but a vision of a better future where humanity has solved it's internal problems.

If you look past that TV guide synopsis you’ll see “internal problems” were a constant theme. How many admirals have gone bad… from the undiscovered country assassination attempts, to federation kidnapping in nemesis. Or the paradise lost take over attempt. Or the blatant bigotry toward data. The xindi and the xenophobia associated after. Section 31. The 60s racism in deep space nine. Trek hasn’t always been rosy. Outside miracle tech, there’s a lot of internal affairs blatantly out of order as well as a constant take on modern day issues.

Edited by shockz
  • Like 1

On 10/09/2022 at 09:50, Dick Montage said:

Now it seems more people are triggered by inclusion

There's inclusion, and then there's rub it in your face preachiness. 

Write good characters, and fans won't care who or what they are. But so far all I see is flat, 2D characters who want to preach and cry about every injustice written into the universe. Discovery is especially guilty of this.