Star Trek: Picard (CBS All Access)

On 07/05/2022 at 20:29, sava700 said:

I doubt I'll continue for another season...kinda lost me after that.

Picard was renewed for a third and final season.

Besides some lingering questions I enjoyed the season as well.

I haven't posted very much lately, but I watched those two clips, and found them truly touching. I've only seen the first episode of the PICARD series, thought it had far too much action and violence. It's one of the last of the new STAR TREK series episodes I've seen, other than a few glimpses of DISCOVERY, the first two years of which were truly "train wrecks" of violence and pointless action and gore. I've been watching/sampling virtually everything TREK since 1966 when I watched TOS as a pre-teen/teenager and went to a few of the earliest conventions, one where I met and chatted with Gene R., a very mellow, humble guy at the time, and got to watch his black and white 16mm "work print" of The Cage ST pilot, which very few people of us in that crowd had gotten to see at the time (outside of Menagerie pt. 1 and 2). Suffice it to say, the audience at that screening went stark raving wild. All we had seen at the time was what we had watched on the NBC Network, and in the very early series syndication. 

Very little of the Trek output today interests me, but those two clips of Picard and Q do interest me. 

Edited by nerim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 07/05/2022 at 19:36, Dot Matrix said:

What a train wreck of a show. The writing this season is just appalling. These writers couldn't write their way out of a brown paper bag if they tried.

Come on Man, it wasn't that bad. Be fair. The scenes with Q and Picard were very touching indeed. John De Lancie was great as always in his performance of Q. I do believe he will be in the third and final season of Picard. I personally have a feeling Picard will die in the 3rd and final season. That's just my personal opinion. Seeing Q again was fantastic.

• Like 3

My favorite part of this season was Picard mouthing off at Q and Q slapping Picard. Gravitas galore and Q redeems himself for all of his impishness we put up with over the years. Great seeing him. Makes up for these young writers thinking wokeness is Starfleet ideals in the Paramount properties. Write for the future and posterity please.

On 07/05/2022 at 20:17, spacelordmaster said:

Come on Man, it wasn't that bad. Be fair. The scenes with Q and Picard were very touching indeed. John De Lancie was great as always in his performance of Q. I do believe he will be in the third and final season of Picard. I personally have a feeling Picard will die in the 3rd and final season. That's just my personal opinion. Seeing Q again was fantastic.

I agree. Heck, I'm more of a '60s TWILIGHT ZONE / OUTER LIMITS viewer anyway.    

• Like 2

I liked this season for 2 main reasons, first they finally did something new and IMO interesting with the Borg which past shows had decided to overuse to the point where they got played out so to speak.   And Picard and Q was great, as a TNG fan and knowing all their backstory their final 2 scenes together hit me emotionally very well.   It's a shame that any new Trek fans who jumped on with the newer shows and don't know the backstory are missing out but oh well.  You could always go back and watch TNG I suppose.

Besides, Season 3 is looking like it's actually going to be more like a Season 8 of TNG, pretty much everyone from the cast and crew from TNG are coming back.  

It's kind of weird, trying to keep up with Trek fans is tiring at this point, some of you are all over the place on things.   For years fans wanted them to make a show going back to the classic trek formula, so we get Strange New Worlds, and just today I see some fans complain that they don't want the old way and they want something new, not a retread of TOS.   It's like, WTF do you guys want?

Fans don't want a serialized show like Disc and Picard, they want episodic.  Another group doesn't want the old episodic format and they want a serialized show.   Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  

Oh and for those canon purists out there who knee jerk at every little thing,  I hate to break it to you but Gene Roddenberry himself was revisionist with Trek, he'd break canon and retcon whatever he didn't like at any point in time.  He hated the animated series and proclaimed it as not canon.  So all those complaining about recasting Robert April need to get over it.  

• Like 4

On 07/05/2022 at 23:17, spacelordmaster said:

No, it was. From Seven and Raffi killing a bunch of highly trained and partially assimilated mercenaries with *checks notes* a bottle opener, to Queen Juratti eating car batteries when she had an entire ship, to countless ramblings from Picard, this season was a mess. Don't even get me started on the ridiculous FBI plot that went absolutely nowhere.

It's like the writers ate too many car batteries themselves.

• Haha 1

On 08/05/2022 at 05:17, spacelordmaster said:

I personally have a feeling Picard will die in the 3rd and final season. That's just my personal opinion. 

Maybe that is what the cast reunion was for? 😶

• Like 2

"... trying to keep up with Trek fans is tiring at this point ..."

That's why I don't read Trek sites any longer. It's all too toxic. I just watch the shows that interest me.

2nd season was ok. 

But I think the 1st episode of Strange New Worlds was better than anything the 1st or 2nd season had. Also probably the best 1st episode of any Star Trek series. 

• Like 2

This whole season was pointless. It added zero to the franchise, in fact it took away from the franchise more than it gave back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/05/2022 at 01:09, Emn1ty said:

This whole season was pointless. It added zero to the franchise, in fact it took away from the franchise more than it gave back.

So, adding a non-assimilating Borg to the franchise didn't count?

Seriously the series is about Picard which is set in the Star Trek universe.  What were you really looking for it to add?

• Like 1

On 13/05/2022 at 08:05, primortal said:

It literally makes no sense, at all. The whole reasoning behind it is nonsense.

On 13/05/2022 at 08:05, primortal said:

Seriously the series is about Picard which is set in the Star Trek universe.  What were you really looking for it to add?

The series isn't though, he's mostly sidelined by terribly written characters who make stupid decisions and miraculously accomplish things with mcguffins or off-screen. They leave the timeline completely trashed... and mostly ignore established lore because the writers haven't watched a single episode of TNG.

1. Picard remembers his mother in a TNG episode, where she's elderly (implying she lived till she died of old age). Picard, the series, hand waives this with a line "I always pictured my mother old".

2. The series sets up that Picard could never love anyone because he couldn't forgive himself or live with himself. Except there's multiple episodes in TNG where Picard falls for other women and gets involved romantically; as well as Inner Light where he had kids, grandchildren, and a wife whom he loved.
3. Jerati gets into the Borg's mind by saying they "long for connection", which is incredibly dumb. That was never what the Borg were about. They are about evolution, no matter the cost. That's why they were such a massive threat. Diplomacy wasn't a concept they cared to acknowledge. They either assimilated you, or ignored you. This show completely nullified that and basically made the Borg just like every other character, ie: "Running away from their dark past"

Yeah... the Borg which assimilated trillions of people is just gonna turn over a new leaf because nobody in those trillions of people ever brought that concept to the collective consciousness? 

I know you want me to turn my brain off, but Trek was always about turning your brain on. If I have to turn my brain off for Trek to be watchable, then it isn't Trek anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2022 at 11:05, primortal said:

A woke Borg Collective. *groans*

On 24/05/2022 at 04:54, Dot Matrix said:

A woke Borg Collective. *groans*

You could argue the Borg started to get "woke" in TNG when they sent Hue back.   Just saying.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 24/07/2022 at 00:47, Steven P. said:

295448830_1447645495753904_5368670849447945764_n.jpg

So they are making us wait a year then, despite it being filmed and wrapped along with season 2 😒

Don't think they want the shows to overlap at this point. Lower Decks season 3 is up next.

Going off of the teaser it sounds like they're going to go through the gate/portal/wormhole or w/e it is that opened up at the end of Season 2 to find out what's on the other side.   I figure it's a gate to another galaxy, Andromeda here we come!  It'd be picking up that old TOS plot thread which would be cool.

On 27/07/2022 at 04:22, jnelsoninjax said:

Is there a date for season 3 to be aired?

Other than 2023, nothing specific I don't think?  I don't know if Paramount has a fixed rotation for their Trek shows yet.   So at this point it's hard to know what order the shows are going to come back going forward.  We have zero info on Discovery season 5 for example. 

On 27/07/2022 at 04:55, George P said:

Other than 2023, nothing specific I don't think?  I don't know if Paramount has a fixed rotation for their Trek shows yet.   So at this point it's hard to know what order the shows are going to come back going forward.  We have zero info on Discovery season 5 for example. 

Thanks, all I have been able to find is that it is coming, but no date.

On 27/07/2022 at 09:50, jnelsoninjax said:

Thanks, all I have been able to find is that it is coming, but no date.

Being its next year they won't give a release date till its months aways.

On 27/07/2022 at 10:17, primortal said:

Being its next year they won't give a release date till its months aways.

Yeah, I gathered that much, all I had seen was saying that it there was another season, but nothing other than that.

It's the 3rd AND final season, so there's got to be some new show to take it's place unless Paramount wants to cut back and spread things out a bit more?  Personally I'd rather they not do a new show to replace it, stick with Disc, LD, Prodigy and SNW.   Use the money that you would've spent on a new 5th show and give us more episodes of SNW for example.  

But as far as the news coming out of SDCC goes, it sounds like they still plan to do 2 new shows.  Don't know what they are yet.  Maybe a Picard spinoff with Captain Seven would be interesting.