The Matrix Resurrections

On 10/09/2021 at 00:46, FloatingFatMan said:

After the mess of 2 & 3, I refuse to get excited...

i refuse. this looks like a bad anime adaption of a better show.... also since the creators came out and the fact that the right wing sort of adopted the whole blue pill/red pill paradigm.. i'm almost certain this is going to be all about trans issues and them taking back the pills.

• Facepalm 1

On 10/09/2021 at 07:39, seta-san said:

i refuse. this looks like a bad anime adaption of a better show.... also since the creators came out and the fact that the right wing sort of adopted the whole blue pill/red pill paradigm.. i'm almost certain this is going to be all about trans issues and them taking back the pills.

Ah, so that's why Lana Wachowski was listed, I thought it was a sister or something. I had no idea they'd come out as trans, mainly because I don't follow Hollywood and its vapid, inconsequential inhabitants. :p

I don't know how to fell about this movie, I love the first one but I hated Reloaded and Revolutions.

I'll watch it, but I'm not happy about it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/09/2021 at 09:39, seta-san said:

There's no hint of anything trans related in the trailer.  You're taking a massive leap in assumptions here.    If anything this pushes the same narrative we had in the original movie about questioning reality and ones sanity.     Not everything has a political undertone in it as well, the red and blue pills have been there from the start.

• Like 3

Watched the trailer earlier.

I'm not so sure.

A re-boot with the same characters is always risky but a re-boot without most is perhaps more risky.

But having someone that looks like Lawrence Fishbourne but isn't... not so sure of that.  A younger version of him (after all, if people keep being reborn over and over, a young Fishy is bound to come round again).

I'll still be watching it...  with a beer in hand!

On 09/09/2021 at 18:31, McCordRm said:

I'm so freaking excited. If this ends up sucking, I'm gonna crash hard

because of it. Also, Neil Patrick Harris' line "We don't use that word IN HERE."

The double entendre... oooo chills. 

*EDIT*

Also, I'm glad they didn't get someone else to cover White Rabbit; there is no substitute for Grace Slick's voice.

Also, blue eyeglasses, blue pills....

On 09/09/2021 at 10:03, warwagon said:

I think it's time he shaves. All I see is John Wick.

the thing is he did shave for the Bill and Ted movie and it just looks wrong on him now :D at least while still keeping the long hair

bill-and-ted-face-the-music-1.jpg

I want it to be good... I really do... and it does look good...

But I've been burned so many times before...

On 10/09/2021 at 00:31, McCordRm said:

I'm so freaking excited. If this ends up sucking, I'm gonna crash hard

because of it. Also, Neil Patrick Harris' line "We don't use that word IN HERE."

The double entendre... oooo chills. 

*EDIT*

Also, I'm glad they didn't get someone else to cover White Rabbit; there is no substitute for Grace Slick's voice.

On 09/09/2021 at 20:02, Sulphy said:

*twitching* .... personally, i cannot wait.... it had better bloody deliver! :):D 

OMG I haven't been this excited about a trailer for years!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/09/2021 at 08:46, Brandon H said:

the thing is he did shave for the Bill and Ted movie and it just looks wrong on him now :D at least while still keeping the long hair

bill-and-ted-face-the-music-1.jpg

Then if they were to cut his hair. He probably had to keep his hair long for john wick. for Bill and ted too. Beards are a bit faster to grow.

On 10/09/2021 at 18:12, warwagon said:

Then if they were to cut his hair. He probably had to keep his hair long for john wick. for Bill and ted too. Beards are a bit faster to grow.

He has the same hair style in the original B&T movies though, so the only thing that had to go was the beard.   No need to cut his hair short.   

On 10/09/2021 at 10:21, George P said:

He has the same hair style in the original B&T movies though, so the only thing that had to go was the beard.   No need to cut his hair short.   

Good point!

• 3 months later...

Yeah I wanted to like it, but aside from a few action scenes that felt very pedestrian at times, compared to the original movies, the only thing I learned:

Spoiler

is that humans still want to be ignorant except if you somehow found your soul partner, then anything's possible.

Also, this sums it up too:

SNAG-0011.png

Edit: BTW I also rated it 6/10 on imdb.

I feel there was a bunch of stuff that they should have leaned into more, like (I'm on mobile so I'm not sure how to spoiler tag so I'll be as vague as possible) the

Spoiler

new alliance with a subplot of the "ai/robots/machines".

On 23/12/2021 at 00:19, cacoe said:

I feel there was a bunch of stuff that they should have leaned into more, like (I'm on mobile so I'm not sure how to spoiler tag so I'll be as vague as possible) the new alliance.

bbcode [ spoiler ] works too lemee test for sures

test

Yup works, no spaces.

On 22/12/2021 at 23:32, Steven P. said:

bbcode [ spoiler ] works too lemee test for sures

Reveal hidden contents

test

Yup works, no spaces.

Sorry, fixed it and added a bit now I'm at my PC

I saw it in the theater yesterday. Light spoilers ahead.

With some minor changes and an actual cinematographer and fight choreographer, this probably could have beat the other two sequels. There are problems for sure, but the actual story is comprehensible, and despite an occasional exposition dump, it flows much better as opposed to Reload and Revolutions, and is better integrated into the action set pieces.

The first act leans way too hard into being self-referential, and tries to make fun of itself while doing it, but it didn't really land for me. I hated the use of archival footage. It would have been okay during the first act while Neo still doesn't remember who he is, but it just keeps going.

After Neo wakes up in the real world, the movie starts feeling like the Matrix again. There's some wonderful scifi in the real world sections of the movie. I always thought that Matrix was in a lot of way a live action anime, and some stuff in the middle of the movie reminded me of that, in a good way.

The characters feel just right, which can make or break any movie. I'm only split about the reappearance of Smith - I love that the face of corporate America is not a suit anymore, it's a douchy tech bro. And I love Jonathan Groff. But the way he's introduced, and changing the actor, it kind of deflated the effect.

The biggest problem the movie has, and it's something I would usually very easily let go of - it just looks incredibly lame. The action scenes basically have no choreography and they're shot absolutely horribly. It's mind-blowing to me that this came from the same person that was (half) responsible for redefining action in western cinema. Fights are hard to make out, they're too crowded, too zoomed in, use too much of shaky cam, and there's nothing remotely creative about them. During the red pill scenes where the characters are disoriented, and during bullet time when one particular character slows down time, they utilize that soap opera blur effect. It looked shockingly bad. The last action set piece was actually fun, looked better than the rest of the movie, and had one section that I don't want to spoil, that was actually creative and a lot of fun. But overall the movie looks very cheap, like a Netflix Original. Even Jupiter Ascending, which was a silly and pretty bad movie, at least looked cinematic. And for a Matrix movie, that was the last thing I expected, and the one that rubbed me the wrong way the most.

I actually enjoyed the movie for the most part, flaws and all, but I'm not sure I can say it's a good movie. It's funny that they literally make the joke about Warner Brothers wanting a fourth Matrix, with or without the original authors, and in the end, someone else directing might have made this much more interesting. Lana Wachowski certainly had some good ideas, she understands these characters, she made a movie that had some things to say, and ultimately, I think the world of the Matrix is richer by the end of the movie. But it desperately needed fresh blood and some vision in terms of directing and action.

The beginning did seem to drag on a bit but I enjoyed it.  I kind of feel like this series will never feel "finished."

I mean, I don't mind that much, we had the same thing after the trilogy...it's just awkward when you don't really know if it's continuing or not.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2021 at 13:06, Steven P. said:

Saw this earlier:

SNAG-0003.png

Teehee.

That is funny.

I am watching it today... So I will be back.

Just hope I can enjoy it.

Oh boy a Matrix discussion.

Spoilers here - I guess there is going to be a lot of this about.

The use of footage from the previous movies to try and explain emotion and events seems like really put me off the movie. Hopefully there is a directors cut on bluray with those parts simple removed. I don't think they add anything to the movie, and just cause distraction. Something I feel the movie has been good at.

Throughout the movie there is suggestions that the new world Tom lives is the matrix.
If you watch the movie again with the idea that Neo is in the matrix already. The movie makes much more sense.

kS0oszP.jpg

I haven't seen it yet and I'm not looking at any of the spoilers, so guys please use spoiler tags if you're going to talk about those.

As far as this goes as a series, I'm starting to wonder if it would be better to just let someone else do it if WB even wants to make more.    Fans just want a pure scifi action flick and it's clear from the sounds of it, and the way the 2nd and 3rd movies went, the Wachawski(s), would rather talk psychology and so on.    That seems to be what turns off those who end up not licking it in the end.