Official Windows 11 Insider builds

George P

Now that we're getting Windows 11 and things are starting to change up more than the past few years with Windows 10, I un-pinned the old Windows 10 thread and started this one.

With the leaked build and the event coming on the 24th things are getting interesting once more.  

George P

George P

Some more info on Windows 11 from early benchmarks of the leaked build.

• 2 weeks later...
George P

Looks like screenshots from a newer build have hit twitter.

E49n-gLWEAUiITJ.jpg:large

E49r6wiX0AIeDTB.jpg:large

E49sHoUX0AMpw3A.jpg:large

E49siv7XoAAEGlL.jpg:large

Dark mode looking good.

• Like 1

cacoe

It's looking really slick, I kinda liked it before but I really like this.

I just hope they manage to release with consistency for once otherwise legacy UI elements will be there for the duration of Windows 11.

George P
Just now, cacoe said:

It's looking really slick, I kinda liked it before but I really like this.

I just hope they manage to release with consistency for once otherwise legacy UI elements will be there for the duration of Windows 11.

I don't expect them to get to everything by the rumored October release date, but if the goal is to do the whole UI, maybe more of those hidden 9x era bits can get removed next year.   Windows 11 is going back to a single release per year so they've got the time to do quite a bit, if they want that is.

Sulphy

Indeed, does look good. I am pretty impressed so far running the leaked build. I just hope and pray that they bring taskbar on multi monitors back! It is a nightmare snapping my head back and forth from screen 2 to 1, just to click on the app icon i am after 😁 also, makes me dizzy after a while!! 😆

Steven P.

I would say, keep an eye out for today 

These two people are not clickbait fake journalists, of which there are too many of these days...

• Like 2

George P

It'll be interesting to see the first official version they send out.  I've heard a few times that not everything is going to be in there to start.   

George P

First official dev build is out.   Things are going to get interesting now.

+warwagon

Got it running last night on this HP Envy Ultrabook .. it just so happen to have an 8th gen Intel. It's Sad,  I probably have 15+ computers computers and this one (which a customer recently gave me) and an Ultrabook in my theater are the only 2 that will support Windows 11.

The one in my theater is a water damaged Ultrabook another customer gave me. After scrubbing the motherboard with isotropic alcohol I got it working accept for the audio, which is great because the HDMI audio output still works which makes it the perfect theater PC to hook to a receiver / projector. 

image.thumb.png.7a0ae6fd6074128b263b05b4741e2bf6.png

George P

Well, TPM stuff aside, they might add some 7th gen intel chips into the supported list.  But that still leaves me and anyone else with a 6th gen or older out.  At this point I don't care enough to be mad.  It's a shame I won't be able to upgrade to 11 on this gaming pc, or my other 3 systems actually.   I'll just ride out windows 10 till I've got a new system ready, probably sometime next year when we're all talking about Windows 11.1 or whatever new version naming they're going with.

• Like 1

drjekel_mrhyde

My computer don't meet the requirements, but it put me on W11Pro anyway? Is this actually the real deal or will i have to get rid of it when it's a official build. This is not the leaked ISO, my computer restarted to this last night.

w11.PNG

adrynalyne
46 minutes ago, drjekel_mrhyde said:

My computer don't meet the requirements, but it put me on W11Pro anyway? Is this actually the real deal or will i have to get rid of it when it's a official build. This is not the leaked ISO, my computer restarted to this last night.

w11.PNG

Insider builds are more relaxed on requirements.

I got put on Enterprise, LOL. I wasn't on Enterprise before.

Louisifer

I think they relaxed the rules yesterday, windows update kicked me off at 8% last week once the popup check happened. yesterday it installed on its own. its a weird situation because as the windows core RTM'd last month everything that changes now is just UI level stuff, it really shows that nothing on the os level actually required any of the harsher restrictions.

So if we get kicked off once the UI goes RTM then its 100% just some guys decision and not based on os limitations.

+warwagon
24 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

I think they relaxed the rules yesterday, windows update kicked me off at 8% last week once the popup check happened. yesterday it installed on its own. its a weird situation because as the windows core RTM'd last month everything that changes now is just UI level stuff, it really shows that nothing on the os level actually required any of the harsher restrictions.

So if we get kicked off once the UI goes RTM then its 100% just some guys decision and not based on os limitations.

What did the popup check say last week?

Louisifer

It just opened a mini health checker program that listed No TPM and Secure Boot for me and then it reports back to windows update to cancel the download

+warwagon
6 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

It just opened a mini health checker program that listed No TPM and Secure Boot for me and then it reports back to windows update to cancel the download

I wonder, was that the same checker app that they said they took down and will release a new version of down the road?

image.thumb.png.0b9f928be3ec85fa65c6dfaab1140ff2.png

Louisifer

It was this. this is all it does, pops up blank with a loading icon and then populates with what you failed with and when you click close it runs a clean up script or a successful script if you pass so windows update knows the outcome.d2yddompdpqxzurm_1624000513.jpeg.241ec923041ab11691d4b670997c2515.jpeg

George P

Think the official stance is that  you can try it via insider preview even if you don't meet the requirements but the final is not going to install for you.

domboy
Posted (edited)

Well I took the plunge and switched my Surface Pro X to the insiders testing on the dev channel and upgraded the OS. I've been tempted to switch it since the x64 emulation came out last November, but with the supposed improvements to the UI for touch, as well as the potential ability to run android apps coming I figured why not. So far it seems to run just fine, which I would hope for a Microsoft device (you never know). I will say it sure is a nice change for WoA compared to the unfortunate fate of the Surface RT/2 that never officially got a Windows 10 upgrade (there is a leaked ARM32 insider build of Windows 10 that will install on them).

I actually don't have any 64-bit productivity apps I need to use on it, so I tried a few 64-bit games instead. I found one issue that the x64 emulation at the moment can't get around, and that is if the app itself checks the architecture when it loads. For example, games that use Epic Games Unreal engine start to run and then throw an "unsupported architecture" message like this one:

1386412903_2021-07-01(2).thumb.png.70bc880d532dadf75504a307c320a766.png

I don't don't know if there is anything Microsoft can do about that, so it might be up to the developer. Honestly I'm not sure why Epic decided to put this check in, as doing some searching it seems it's come out since the x64 emulation arrived. I've seen posts about this from people using Windows on ARM devices like the Pro X, as well as Mac users with a device using Apple's new M1 processor running Windows in a virtual machine via Parallels. Apparently Apex Legends used to run, and then broke. I may file a support ticket with Epic asking for a way to ignore or bypass this check. Hopefully there won't be many apps like this.

Edited by domboy

neufuse

anyone else have square window borders after the upgrade? every system I did they are square.... the leaked build they where round

and now I also lost the new explorer toolbar, it strangely went back to the old ribbon

Circaflex

FYI you can access Task Manager by right clicking the start button or crtl+shift+esc as it is no longer in the corner right click menu.

• Like 2

Louisifer

hopefully thats something they either add back to the taskbar or we can add it via registry edit along with adding refresh back to the new desktop right click

adrynalyne
3 hours ago, neufuse said:

anyone else have square window borders after the upgrade? every system I did they are square.... the leaked build they where round

and now I also lost the new explorer toolbar, it strangely went back to the old ribbon

The loss of round borders sounds like bad video drivers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Steven P.
      This Windows Hello webcam with privacy shutter is 20% off for only $67.99
      by Steven Parker

Today on Amazon, you can pick up the wo-we Windows Hello Face Recognition Webcam for only $67.99 when you apply the $20 coupon, saving you 17% off the $84.99 list price.

A nice thing about this webcam is not only is it a cheap way into Windows Hello password-less sign-in on Windows, but also has a manual privacy shutter, something you don't get on the more than doubly expensive Logi Brio webcam.

Here are a few of its highlights:

Below are a few of this camera's specifications, besides being compliant with Windows Hello.

This item qualifies for free delivery, and the prices mentioned here are before taxes. It also includes standard manufacturer's warranty for which Amazon says you need to contact the seller.

Get the wo-we Windows Hello Face Recognition Webcam for $67.99 (list price $84.99) 20% off

As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.

• By anmol112
      Hands-on with the new Microsoft Teams experience for Windows 11
      by Anmol Mehrotra

Earlier this week, Microsoft released another Windows 11 build to Windows Insiders in the Dev Preview ring. The new build brought improvements to the UI as well as the new Microsoft Teams integration. Microsoft announced the Teams integration at the Windows 11 launch event last month. With the feature now rolling out to Windows Insiders, we decided to take a closer look at the new Teams integration for Windows 11.

First time setup
      After you install the new Windows 11 build, you will see a Teams icon on the taskbar. Clicking on the option will open Team for the first-time setup. The setup is pretty simple.

Microsoft allows you to use your regular MSA account for personal use. You can also use your work or school account if you have one and want it easily accessible.

Once you select the account, Microsoft will ask you to verify ownership (if you have two-factor authentication) as well as add a phone number. This will add as a secondary username and also allow others to find you on Teams.

Lastly, Microsoft will confirm the settings and ask you if you want to use your existing Outlook or Skype contact list to find people on Microsoft Teams. One thing to note here is that if you have used Windows Phone in the past or you use Outlook to sync your contacts then you will see your address book on Teams (provided you selected the sync Outlook contact list on the last step).

Using the app
      The experience is same more or less. However, with a personal Teams account, users can now use it as way to stay connected to their loved ones. Moreover, you can now enter an email address to send a Teams message to them.

This works in two parts: if the person already uses Teams, they will get a general chat notification. However, if the person you are messaging does not use Teams, they will get an email inviting them to join Teams and continue the chat.

One thing that I personally believe can enhance the Teams experience is the support for SMS. While you can message people using phone numbers, they have to be in your contacts. Unfortunately, you can’t directly start a conversation with someone if they are not in your contacts. This is something that Microsoft can add in the future to allow users to start conversations by just entering the phone number of the person they want to talk to and if the person is not on Teams, they will get an invite to join the app.

However, there is one way to invite others to a text chain and that is via the 'invite using link' option. As the name suggests, the option generates a custom link that can be shared with others to allow them to join a conversation.

Lastly, Microsoft is also expected to merge the Meet Now feature into Teams in the feature. It will further enhance the user experience by allowing users to make audio and video calls using Microsoft Teams. Currently, the feature exists just as a placeholder button, but the company is expected to add it before Windows 11 is shipped as an update to existing Windows users.

Do you plan to use Microsoft Teams on Windows 11? Let us know your thoughts below.

For more information on Windows 11, you can check out our article on minimum system requirements as well as the list of CPUs that support Windows 11. Apart from the general requirements, Microsoft has also listed out specific feature requirements for Windows 11 including webcams, Bluetooth and Precision Touchpad on all upcoming laptops. Last month, Microsoft also updated the PC Health Check app to show why a device is not ineligible to receive the Windows 11 update. However, the company will allow some manufacturers to bypass the TPM 2.0 requirement and it is also allowing Windows Insiders with unsupported hardware to test Windows 11 Insider Builds. Several manufacturers have published a list of hardware that will be compatible with Windows 11.

If you are still out of the loop, then you can check out hands-on video. If you want to get in-depth information about Windows 11 then you can check out our article covering all the new features and changes.

• By Sszecret
      Microsoft Weekly: Windows 11 testing, future gaming, and HiveNightmare aka SeriousSAM
      by Florin Bodnarescu

It’s been a rather busy seven days in Redmond, with new Windows 11 test builds, long-awaited game releases on console, and yet another security vulnerability all being in the news. You can find details about the aforementioned and more below, in your Microsoft digest for the week of July 18 – 24.

Windows 11 testing
      It would be prudent to start with some of the news surrounding Microsoft’s next major iteration of Windows.

For one, there’s the possible release time frame, which was revealed in a document accompanying a recent Intel GPU driver update. In it, Windows 11 is referred to as the October 2021 Update, though it’s possible this may also be a reference to Windows 10 21H2, which should drop around the same time.

This timing wouldn’t be too surprising, as October has been the month of choice for the denomination or GA of several H2 updates - barring say 1809, which was quickly pulled following a number of problems, then re-released in December -, or previous major releases like Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8.

As far as the release of the Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) variant of Windows 11 is concerned, Microsoft was clear that it is still several years out. The LTSC release that’s about to drop this year will be based on Windows 10 21H2, but the release after that is set to be underpinned by Windows 11. Given the recent change in the LTSC support lifecycle – namely slashing of support from 10 to five years -, there’s still a bit of a wait involved.

Until then though, Microsoft is continuing to shed little more light on its Windows 11 design choices, such as the new context menu, or the Teams integration. Sadly, the Store variants for Business and Education will not be supported in Windows 11, though the downloading of Edge from the Store will be.

And speaking of, Teams chat can now be tested thanks to Windows 11 Insider build 22000.100, which also adds some taskbar enhancements. Naturally, there are some known issues to keep in mind as always, one of which is the fact that Windows Hello is now broken. Not to worry though, there’s a way to fix it.

Finally, in not exactly earth-shattering news, Microsoft has released a new cumulative update to Windows Insiders in the Release Preview ring. This is KB5004296 and should be available for folks running Windows 10 21H1 and 21H2. The only change is a new policy which „creates generic strings and removes branding-specific terms, such as „Windows” or „PC” for IoT Enterprise editions”. In other words, you’ll be seeing phrases like „Getting things ready” instead of „Getting Windows ready”.

Future games

On the gaming side of things, there’s a selection of titles now available on Game Pass, including Battlefield V, Cris Tales, Atomicorps, and Raji: An Ancient Epic. In terms of high-profile releases arriving soon, there’s Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, The Ascent, as well as the long-awaited console release of Microsoft Flight Simulator. If those are not your cup of tea, the Deals with Gold are right this way.

In other news of future releases, Halo Infinite’s first technical preview will focus on bots, with the kickoff allegedly happening as soon as next weekend. Matches will be 4v4 across the Bazaar, Recharge, and Live Fire maps.

Yet another first-party title, this time Fallout 76, is set to get a long-requested feature in a couple of months, namely private servers. Dubbed Fallout Worlds, it will officially arrive in the game in September, but the PTS (Public Test Servers) already have it available, for those interested in testing this out early.

Last but not least, we should mention the Dead Space remake announced at EA Play. Rebuilt by Motive Studios from the ground up to use the Frostbite engine, the game is slated to launch across PC, Xbox Series X|S, and PlayStation 5, though no release date or window was given.

HiveNightmare aka SeriousSAM

It seems like Microsoft just can’t catch a break when it comes to security recently. Following the massive Exchange Online exploits in March and April, and the PrintNightmare exploit affecting the Print Spooler Service, there’s now another high-profile security flaw going around.

Dubbed HiveNightmare – due to it being a registry vulnerability -, or SeriousSAM (due to the Windows Security Account Manager – or SAM – database being involved), the flaw allows passwords and security keys to be accessed by non-admin users. As such, it would give an attacker access to the SAM, SYSTEM, and SECURITY registry hive files. In the linked post, we’ve detailed how to restrict access to the system32 config file, as well as how to delete Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) shadow copies in order to protect yourself against this.

In light of the above, it’s perhaps no surprise that Microsoft chose to acquire CloudKnox Security in order to enhance its unified privileged access capabilities.

Unfortunately, the section won’t be ending with any good news, as the July set of updates for Windows 10 has broken printing and scanning via the use of smart cards. This is an unfortunate side effect of the Redmond giant’s attempts at fixing the aforementioned PrintNightmare flaw.

And as if that wasn’t enough, fake Windows 11 installers have also started circulating around the web. Unsurprisingly, they are being used for malware distribution.

Dev channel
      Apps for Teams meetings are now supported on mobile. Microsoft is fighting legal battles to restrict the use of imposter domains. Online civility has deteriorated in the second year of the pandemic, says the Redmond giant. Edge 92 is now out, with a new Password Health dashboard. SharePoint Server Subscription Edition is now available in public preview. Visual Studio 2022 for Mac is now available in private preview. Logging off
      We end today with a Task Manager concept featuring what is perhaps one of the most oft-requested features for the utility.

via AlurDesign While the Task Manager has certainly evolved over the years from its inception, one of the most often requested features is an option to switch to dark mode. Changes have been made so far in Windows 11 to make the implementation of this theme option a lot more consistent, though legacy apps still don’t respect the dark mode setting.

To visualize just how a dark mode for Task Manager would look, Twitter user Jakub (AlurDesign) has put together a concept – seen above – which makes use of the more rounded aesthetic in Windows 11, as well as translucency effects.

Of course, it’s a mere concept, but here’s hoping Microsoft sees this and chooses to take at least some design cues from it.

Missed any of the previous columns? Check them all out at this link.

If you’d like to get a daily digest of news from Neowin, we now have a Newsletter you can sign up to either via the ‘Get our newsletter’ widget in the sidebar, or this link.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Fake Windows 11 installers are being used to distribute malware
      by Usama Jawad

Microsoft released the first Windows 11 Insider Preview build on June 28, and has been frequently updating it in the past month or so, with the latest build landing just over a day ago. While the process to upgrade your existing PC to Windows 11 is fairly simple in the sense that you just have to enroll your machine into the Dev channel of the Windows Insider Program and have the build seeded to you, many have been trying other methods of obtaining unofficial ISOs and are being infected with malware instead.

This distribution of Windows 11 via fake installers isn't sophisticated by any means. It relies on people downloading a shady installer and then clicking through the terms and conditions without reading them to initiate the installation.

A report from Kaspersky states that a file called "86307_windows 11 build 21996.1 x64 + activator.exe" is making the rounds on the internet. While the file size is 1.75GB and the name indicates that it contains Windows 11 build 21996.1 - which is actually an outdated build that leaked ahead of Microsoft's official unveiling of the OS - and a key activator on top, it is actually a single and "useless" DLL file.

When users initiate the installation process via this file, it downloads and runs another executable. It also comes with a full-fledged license agreement which states that some "sponsored programs" will be installed on your machine. People who accept it without reading it get malicious software installed on their PC. Kaspersky notes that this software can be anything ranging from adware to Trojans to programs that steal your credentials. The company says that it has tackled hundreds of infection attempts that utilize this technique to supposedly distribute Windows 11.

Kaspersky can cautioned that official methods such as the Windows Insider Program should be used to install builds, and that the OS should not be installed on a primary machine yet since it can lead to stability issues.

Source and image: Kaspersky via XDA Developers

• By anmol112
      How to fix Windows Hello not working in the latest Windows 11 build 22000.100
      by Anmol Mehrotra

Yesterday, Microsoft released another Windows 11 build to Windows Insiders in the Dev Preview ring. The new build brought improvements to the UI as well as the new Microsoft Teams integration. However, it also came with a bunch of known issues, one of which was the broken Windows Hello.

Fortunately, there is an easy fix for "Something went wrong" error when trying to use Windows Hello on Windows 11. If you are facing the issue, then you can follow the steps below to get the issue fixed:

Click on Windows Search or the Windows button Type "Device Manager" and click on 'open'. You can also right-click on the Windows button and select Device Manager. Once Device Manager is opened, double-click on "Biometric devices" Now right-click on "Windows Hello Face Software Device" and click on 'uninstall device' Once done, reboot the system, let Windows download and install the latest drivers After the installation is finished, Windows Hello should be good to go. We hope Microsoft fixes this issue in the future build. While not critical, the issue certainly can be a pain for users who rely on Windows Hello to sign-in to their devices.

For more information on Windows 11, you can check out our article on minimum system requirements as well as the list of CPUs that support Windows 11. Apart from the general requirements, Microsoft has also listed out specific feature requirements for Windows 11 including webcams, Bluetooth and Precision Touchpad on all upcoming laptops. Last month, Microsoft also updated the PC Health Check app to show why a device is not ineligible to receive the Windows 11 update. However, the company will allow some manufacturers to bypass the TPM 2.0 requirement and it is also allowing Windows Insiders with unsupported hardware to test Windows 11 Insider Builds. Several manufacturers have published a list of hardware that will be compatible with Windows 11.

If you are still out of the loop, then you can check out hands-on video. If you want to get in-depth information about Windows 11 then you can check out our article covering all the new features and changes.