Official Windows 11 Insider builds

George P

Now that we're getting Windows 11 and things are starting to change up more than the past few years with Windows 10, I un-pinned the old Windows 10 thread and started this one.

With the leaked build and the event coming on the 24th things are getting interesting once more.  

George P

George P

Some more info on Windows 11 from early benchmarks of the leaked build.

• 2 weeks later...
George P

Looks like screenshots from a newer build have hit twitter.

E49n-gLWEAUiITJ.jpg:large

E49r6wiX0AIeDTB.jpg:large

E49sHoUX0AMpw3A.jpg:large

E49siv7XoAAEGlL.jpg:large

Dark mode looking good.

• Like 1

cacoe

It's looking really slick, I kinda liked it before but I really like this.

I just hope they manage to release with consistency for once otherwise legacy UI elements will be there for the duration of Windows 11.

George P
Just now, cacoe said:

It's looking really slick, I kinda liked it before but I really like this.

I just hope they manage to release with consistency for once otherwise legacy UI elements will be there for the duration of Windows 11.

I don't expect them to get to everything by the rumored October release date, but if the goal is to do the whole UI, maybe more of those hidden 9x era bits can get removed next year.   Windows 11 is going back to a single release per year so they've got the time to do quite a bit, if they want that is.

Sulphy

Indeed, does look good. I am pretty impressed so far running the leaked build. I just hope and pray that they bring taskbar on multi monitors back! It is a nightmare snapping my head back and forth from screen 2 to 1, just to click on the app icon i am after 😁 also, makes me dizzy after a while!! 😆

Steven P.

I would say, keep an eye out for today 

These two people are not clickbait fake journalists, of which there are too many of these days...

• Like 2

George P

It'll be interesting to see the first official version they send out.  I've heard a few times that not everything is going to be in there to start.   

George P

First official dev build is out.   Things are going to get interesting now.

+warwagon

Got it running last night on this HP Envy Ultrabook .. it just so happen to have an 8th gen Intel. It's Sad,  I probably have 15+ computers computers and this one (which a customer recently gave me) and an Ultrabook in my theater are the only 2 that will support Windows 11.

The one in my theater is a water damaged Ultrabook another customer gave me. After scrubbing the motherboard with isotropic alcohol I got it working accept for the audio, which is great because the HDMI audio output still works which makes it the perfect theater PC to hook to a receiver / projector. 

image.thumb.png.7a0ae6fd6074128b263b05b4741e2bf6.png

George P

Well, TPM stuff aside, they might add some 7th gen intel chips into the supported list.  But that still leaves me and anyone else with a 6th gen or older out.  At this point I don't care enough to be mad.  It's a shame I won't be able to upgrade to 11 on this gaming pc, or my other 3 systems actually.   I'll just ride out windows 10 till I've got a new system ready, probably sometime next year when we're all talking about Windows 11.1 or whatever new version naming they're going with.

• Like 1

drjekel_mrhyde

My computer don't meet the requirements, but it put me on W11Pro anyway? Is this actually the real deal or will i have to get rid of it when it's a official build. This is not the leaked ISO, my computer restarted to this last night.

w11.PNG

adrynalyne
46 minutes ago, drjekel_mrhyde said:

My computer don't meet the requirements, but it put me on W11Pro anyway? Is this actually the real deal or will i have to get rid of it when it's a official build. This is not the leaked ISO, my computer restarted to this last night.

w11.PNG

Insider builds are more relaxed on requirements.

I got put on Enterprise, LOL. I wasn't on Enterprise before.

Louisifer

I think they relaxed the rules yesterday, windows update kicked me off at 8% last week once the popup check happened. yesterday it installed on its own. its a weird situation because as the windows core RTM'd last month everything that changes now is just UI level stuff, it really shows that nothing on the os level actually required any of the harsher restrictions.

So if we get kicked off once the UI goes RTM then its 100% just some guys decision and not based on os limitations.

+warwagon
24 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

I think they relaxed the rules yesterday, windows update kicked me off at 8% last week once the popup check happened. yesterday it installed on its own. its a weird situation because as the windows core RTM'd last month everything that changes now is just UI level stuff, it really shows that nothing on the os level actually required any of the harsher restrictions.

So if we get kicked off once the UI goes RTM then its 100% just some guys decision and not based on os limitations.

What did the popup check say last week?

Louisifer

It just opened a mini health checker program that listed No TPM and Secure Boot for me and then it reports back to windows update to cancel the download

+warwagon
6 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

It just opened a mini health checker program that listed No TPM and Secure Boot for me and then it reports back to windows update to cancel the download

I wonder, was that the same checker app that they said they took down and will release a new version of down the road?

image.thumb.png.0b9f928be3ec85fa65c6dfaab1140ff2.png

Louisifer

It was this. this is all it does, pops up blank with a loading icon and then populates with what you failed with and when you click close it runs a clean up script or a successful script if you pass so windows update knows the outcome.d2yddompdpqxzurm_1624000513.jpeg.241ec923041ab11691d4b670997c2515.jpeg

George P

Think the official stance is that  you can try it via insider preview even if you don't meet the requirements but the final is not going to install for you.

domboy
Posted (edited)

Well I took the plunge and switched my Surface Pro X to the insiders testing on the dev channel and upgraded the OS. I've been tempted to switch it since the x64 emulation came out last November, but with the supposed improvements to the UI for touch, as well as the potential ability to run android apps coming I figured why not. So far it seems to run just fine, which I would hope for a Microsoft device (you never know). I will say it sure is a nice change for WoA compared to the unfortunate fate of the Surface RT/2 that never officially got a Windows 10 upgrade (there is a leaked ARM32 insider build of Windows 10 that will install on them).

I actually don't have any 64-bit productivity apps I need to use on it, so I tried a few 64-bit games instead. I found one issue that the x64 emulation at the moment can't get around, and that is if the app itself checks the architecture when it loads. For example, games that use Epic Games Unreal engine start to run and then throw an "unsupported architecture" message like this one:

1386412903_2021-07-01(2).thumb.png.70bc880d532dadf75504a307c320a766.png

I don't don't know if there is anything Microsoft can do about that, so it might be up to the developer. Honestly I'm not sure why Epic decided to put this check in, as doing some searching it seems it's come out since the x64 emulation arrived. I've seen posts about this from people using Windows on ARM devices like the Pro X, as well as Mac users with a device using Apple's new M1 processor running Windows in a virtual machine via Parallels. Apparently Apex Legends used to run, and then broke. I may file a support ticket with Epic asking for a way to ignore or bypass this check. Hopefully there won't be many apps like this.

Edited by domboy

neufuse

anyone else have square window borders after the upgrade? every system I did they are square.... the leaked build they where round

and now I also lost the new explorer toolbar, it strangely went back to the old ribbon

Circaflex

FYI you can access Task Manager by right clicking the start button or crtl+shift+esc as it is no longer in the corner right click menu.

• Like 2

Louisifer

hopefully thats something they either add back to the taskbar or we can add it via registry edit along with adding refresh back to the new desktop right click

adrynalyne
3 hours ago, neufuse said:

anyone else have square window borders after the upgrade? every system I did they are square.... the leaked build they where round

and now I also lost the new explorer toolbar, it strangely went back to the old ribbon

The loss of round borders sounds like bad video drivers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By hellowalkman
      Microsoft itself hints at possible October Windows 11 launch
      by Sayan Sen

The release notes of Intel's graphics driver version 30.0.100.9684, which launched back in July, contained a crucial bit of information that hinted at the possible Windows 11 launch date. According to the notes, it was looking like Microsoft was planning for an October release for the brand new OS. And today, we have even more evidence suggesting that the finding could indeed be true as even Microsoft's own Windows Hardware Compatibility Program (WHCP) blog post hints towards that.

Spotted by Windows Latest, Microsoft posted this article back in June titled "Now accepting Windows 11, version 21H2 submissions". Basically, it appears that the Redmont Giant has requested all of its partners to submit drivers compatible with Windows 11 21H2 update by "September 24, 2021". Here's what the full statement reads:

So as it stands, the September 24, 2021 date essentially appears to be the deadline for the final submission of Windows 11 compatible drivers for Microsoft's partners. This means Windows 11 could indeed release in October or somewhere around that window.

When inquired, Microsoft also clarified in the comments that this Windows Hardware Certification submission request was indeed for Windows 11 21H1 and not related to Windows 10 21H1.

Source: Microsoft via Windows Latest

• By Steven P.
      How to switch to the Beta Channel in Windows 11 Insider Preview
      by Steven Parker

With the rolling out of Windows 11 build 22000.100 to the Windows Insiders Beta channel last week, there are once again two paths of development for Windows 11. Live fast and loose with the latest relatively untested builds in the Dev channel, or opt for the more stable builds in the Beta channel. When we say relatively untested, this is somewhat untrue, Microsoft does put all builds through some internal testing before releasing them to the Dev channel, which can mean that builds get delayed or pulled after the fact if blocking bugs are discovered.

Today we are going to show you how to switch to the Beta channel so that you only receive builds that have already been tested by Microsoft, and Windows Insiders in the Dev channel. The build may have even received a cumulative update that fixes issues found in the Dev channel, either way, it will be a much more stable experience.

First of all, click on Start > Settings, alternatively you can right-click on Start and select Settings from the context menu, now select Windows Update in the left pane and then Windows Insider Program, as shown in the image above to open it.

You will see the current build you are on, in this case, we're on the latest 22000.100 build delivered through the Dev channel of the Windows Insider Program. Go ahead and click on Dev to expand it.

Here you can opt to move to the Beta Channel, which is what we have done and is shown to be recommended as well. It is currently not possible to switch to the Release Preview Channel, as no such build of Windows 11 exists yet.

Windows 11 does not prompt to restart upon changing Insider settings, and moving between other Settings pages and back to Windows Insider Program confirms that the change was made.

In certain conditions, such as those people who modified the registry in order to enroll for Windows 11 Insider updates back in June, you may experience a "blank" Windows Insider Program settings page, or find you can't switch channels. To fix this, simply head to the official Windows Insider website (on the same machine) and check that your device is registered. In our case, although our Virtual Machine was receiving new builds through Windows Update, we were shown as not being registered as a Windows Insider; upon registering on the Windows Insider Program page in Windows 11 it updated to show that we were in the Dev Channel which allowed us to make the above changes to the Beta Channel.

Does the availability of the Beta Channel mean you might now opt into Windows 11 on your main devices? Let us know in the comments below.

• By Sszecret
      Microsoft Weekly: Flight Sim on console, Windows updates, and Q4 earnings
      by Florin Bodnarescu

As yet another set of seven days has gone by, it’s time we take a look at the news that popped up during this time, including the landing of Flight Simulator on console, a series of updates for Windows, and the Q4 earnings report for Microsoft’s 2021 fiscal year. You’ll find info about those subjects and more below, in your Microsoft digest for the week of July 25 – 31.

Flight Sim on console

As promised, on July 27, Microsoft Flight Simulator landed on Game Pass and the Xbox Series X|S. This is the first time the title has made its way to console, with Xbox One users presumably being able to enjoy it via Xbox Cloud Gaming, where possible.

In case simulators are not quite your thing, there’s currently an Xbox Ultimate Game Sale, featuring deals for Assassin’s Creed games, Call of Duty titles, and others, and if you have an Xbox Live Gold subscription, Darksiders III and Lost Planet 3 are now free to claim.

In first-party news, Forza Motorsport 7 is set to be removed from storefronts in September (having initially been released in October of 2017). Those who currently own the game will be unaffected though, as they get to (obviously) keep their copies.

And ending with another first-party game, Halo Infinite’s first Insider test is now live, and runs until August 2, at 10AM PT. Do be warned that Microsoft has accidentally leaked Infinite campaign details, so you’ll need to be cautious if you don’t want to have plot points spoiled.

Windows updates

Much like taxes, Windows updates are a given, and this week, there were definitely some interesting such updates.

For one, Microsoft released the first Windows 11 build to the Beta channel, last week’s Dev channel build, 22000.100. As you’d imagine, it contains broadly the same number of fixes as the Dev build, only this one has a couple more known issues added. As is the case with Windows 11 going forward, Teams is quite tightly integrated with the OS, so here’s our hands-on with said Teams experience.

In additional news about changes, Microsoft is set to retire semi-annual Windows Server updates in favor of LTSC (Long-Term Servicing Channel) releases. The next LTSC variant, set to drop this year, will still be based on Windows 10.

And speaking of, KB5004296 was pushed out by the firm, bumping up the build numbers for Windows 10 versions 2004, 20H2, and 21H1 to 19041.1151, 19042.1151, and 19043.1151. The list of fixes is a little longer than usual, and contains everything from fixes for bugs with WFP (Windows Filtering Platform) to System Integrity memory leaks, and more.

Last but not least, to end the talk about versions and version numbers, Windows 10 21H1 is now on 26% of PCs, with Windows 11 (the Insider flavor) grabbing 0.9% of the market.

Q4 FY21 earnings

It’ll come as no shock to those who follow Microsoft that the Redmond giant has now posted its quarterly earnings for the fourth quarter of its fiscal year 2021, which ended June 30.

Microsoft brought in $46.2B in revenue (up 21% Year-over Year). Operating income landed at $19.1B (up 42%), with net income being $16.5B (up 47%). Diluted earnings per share was $2.17 (up 49%).

Of the three sections that Microsoft’s earnings are split into, Productivity and Business Processes brought in $14.7B (up 25%), Intelligent Cloud contributed the most with $17.4B (up 30%), and More Personal Computing accounted for $14.1B of the total sum, a 9% increase year-over-year.

In the first category, Office Commercial products and cloud services grew 20% in terms of revenue – off the back of a 35% increase in Office 365 Commercial revenue. Consumer Office earnings grew 18%, with Microsoft 365 consumer seats increasing to 51.9 million. Revenue from LinkedIn and Dynamics grew 46% and 33%, respectively.

In the Intelligent Cloud bracket, Azure revenue grew 51%, with revenue from cloud services and server products being up 34% (accounting for $3.9B). The Enterprise Mobility install base grew 19% (to over 190 million seats), and Premier Support – as well as Microsoft Consulting services - grew by a respectable 12%.

Under More Personal Computing, there was strong Search advertising revenue growth, with Windows Commercial products growing 20%, and OEM Pro (as well as non-Pro) revenues dipping 2% and 4% (respectively), which happened due to supply chain constraints. The other effect of said constraints was a 20% fall in revenue for the Surface unit.

Gaming revenue was up 11%, with a 172% increase in hardware revenue (year-over-year). Xbox content and services were down 4%, and Search advertising was up 53%.

Because this is also the end of the fiscal year, Microsoft shared the overall FY21 figures, with revenue landing at $168.1B (up 18%) and net income being $61.3B.

Dev channel
      The final Edge Dev 93 build (93.0.961.2) is now out with an improved Settings layout. Outlook on the web now has a ‘My Day’ pane for easy access to Calendar and To Do. New phishing protections are now live in Teams. Teams now has nearly 250 million monthly active users. Logging off
      We end the column by highlighting a software transition that took place earlier this week.

As was announced by Microsoft two years ago, Skype for Business Online was retired on July 31, 2021. The replacement is of course Teams, and the company is so confident in its latest chatting endeavor that it’s not extending the EOL date of Skype for Business Online.

For folks who have not moved to Teams completely (or at all), there will be Microsoft-assisted upgrades (starting in August). Until the upgrades are completed, users will be free to continue their chats and calls via Skype for Business Online.

Missed any of the previous columns? Check them all out at this link.

If you’d like to get a daily digest of news from Neowin, we now have a Newsletter you can sign up to either via the ‘Get our newsletter’ widget in the sidebar, or this link.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft releases the first Windows 11 build for the Beta channel
      by Abhay Venkatesh

It’s a new week, which means it’s time for a new Windows Insider build. However, this time, it's Beta channel users who are receiving a new update in the way of Windows 11 build 22000.100. This is the first Windows 11 build being released for the Beta channel, giving users of that channel the first official way to run the latest generation of Windows.

The build heading out today is the one that was released to the Dev channel last week, which means that along with the complete new OS, users will be receiving all the fixes that have been made through the course of the Dev channel releases. These include tweaks such as the improved UI elements in the taskbar and other areas to better align them with the Windows 11 design language, a search box in the Start Menu, and more. This is to be expected since Beta channel releases are considered more stable.

It must be noted that the new Teams chat experience will not be enabled for Beta channel users yet. However, that should be enabled for those users soon. You can take a look at all the new Windows 11 features in our run-down here.

In addition to all the bug fixes and improvements, the build contains a bunch of known issues, some of which have been added since build 22000.100 was released. We have listed only the new known issues that the firm is adding to the latest build based on feedback from those running these builds – which happen to be close to 1% of the total number of Windows machines:

With the OS now being promoted to the Beta channel, it is a hint that the company is hitting a certain threshold of stability since Beta channel builds usually are more reliable. The company also notes that Dev channel users who wish to stay on more stable builds should move to the Beta channel now. However, this does not mean that the builds are ready for daily use on main machines since anything can go wrong with test versions.

Additionally, Dev channel builds aren't exactly tied to specific versions, so those who jumped onto the Dev channel just to try out Windows 11 have this so-called magic window to jump to a more stable channel to continue testing builds a step away from the bleeding edge. As for Dev channel users, the firm confirmed via a tweet that there will not be a new build this week.

• By Abhay V
      AdDuplex: Windows 10 version 21H1 is now on over 26% of PCs, Windows 11 makes its debut
      by Abhay Venkatesh

After a gap of a couple of months, AdDuplex has released its Windows version usage report for the month of July. The report is collected from 5,000 Microsoft Store apps that are running the AdDuplex SDK v.2 or higher, and around 60,000 Windows PCs were sampled for this report. This month’s highlight is the debut of Windows 11, which was formally announced in June. As for Windows 10, version 21H1 that was released in May is now running on over 26% of Windows machines.

Just like the October 2020 Update, the Windows 10 May 2021 Update was an enablement package that light up new features in the OS. The underlying codebase for 21H1, however, is identical to versions 20H2 and 2004, meaning that the three most recent versions are serviced with the same cumulative updates. It is, therefore, not surprising to see that the rollout of the latest version has been faster than the previous versions has seen. This is only expected to increase as version 2004 begins to reach the end of support for consumer SKUs.

With Windows 10 21H1 now on more than 26% of PCs, the three latest versions of the OS account for close to 88% of usage share. The title for the most famous version of Windows 10 is retained by version 20H2 at 36.3%, followed by version 2004 at 24.6%. Windows Insiders running Windows 11 in the Dev channel account for close to 1% of total devices.

Windows 10 version 21H2 is also slated to be an enablement package. However, with Windows 11 expected to begin rolling out later this year, it will be interesting to see how the usage share changes, since there are still questions about the pace of the rollout and what the final hardware specifications will be.