Official Windows 11 Insider builds

Well since the Xbox app has been locking up since the start and Steam started refusing to log in as well I'm back on 10 for now, but otherwise I really liked 11.  I'm sure I'll be back on it soon enough.

10 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

The loss of round borders sounds like bad video drivers.

I'm seeing this in a VM and a hardware system now

we need the ability to open task manager from the taskbar back... that's been there since forever and I can't break the habit of right clicking to get to it ugh

• Like 3

1 hour ago, neufuse said:

we need the ability to open task manager from the taskbar back... that's been there since forever and I can't break the habit of right clicking to get to it ugh

If you right click the start button, it’s still there. Not really what you meant, but there is still that thankfully. 

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

If you right click the start button, it’s still there. Not really what you meant, but there is still that thankfully. 

Indeed, I was quite happy to discover it in the start button context menu!

6 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

yeah, I know just hard to break that memory habbit of where it always was

4 minutes ago, neufuse said:

yeah, I know just hard to break that memory habbit of where it always was

Yeah, same here. 

20 hours ago, domboy said:

Indeed, I was quite happy to discover it in the start button context menu!

I wonder if that's just the way it's going to be now with 11.  Instead of having a different menu when you right click on start and one when you right click on the taskbar.   It'd simplify the UI overall but who knows if they add anything more to the right click on taskbar other than taking you to that part in the settings app.

On 02/07/2021 at 04:41, neufuse said:

I agree with you 100%.  Having said that, my dad still doesn't remember that right-clicking on the taskbar will show a menu.  Basically, they're making it like Gnome 40 is currently.

9 hours ago, devHead said:

I agree with you 100%.  Having said that, my dad still doesn't remember that right-clicking on the taskbar will show a menu.  Basically, they're making it like Gnome 40 is currently.

Yeah, not seeing the correlation there. 

This may not be the right thread but ah well... The UI issues that people are dealing with, could that somehow be related to GPU drivers? On my desktop with nvidia it's a constant weirdness with the UI ... On my laptop with AMD, it doesn't happen. Not even the UI lag with Explorer. I know we're dealing with a dev build and I'm sure the next release will fix some things. Just something that crossed my old brain.

2 hours ago, jbarcus81 said:

This may not be the right thread but ah well... The UI issues that people are dealing with, could that somehow be related to GPU drivers? On my desktop with nvidia it's a constant weirdness with the UI ... On my laptop with AMD, it doesn't happen. Not even the UI lag with Explorer. I know we're dealing with a dev build and I'm sure the next release will fix some things. Just something that crossed my old brain.

Set your display to 8 bit color. Its been reported.

Windows Central  has a pretty detailed post up with changes so far.    It'll be interesting to see how long this list gets by the rumored October release.

Maybe I shouldn't say anything just yet, and maybe it's all in my head, but it seems since I switched my Pro X to the Insiders Dev channel July 1st (and the subsequent OS upgrade) that it has improved the battery usage when going into connected standby. It has only hibernated once. I don't have a count of how often it would before, but often enough that I've noticed it not doing so lately. I'll be keeping an eye on it to see if this continues, especially with subsequent dev builds that will be coming.

On 02/07/2021 at 12:41, neufuse said:

CTRL+SHIFT+ESC for life.

I can understand if taskbar being your main goto has suddenly gone, thats going to be pretty jarring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cacoe said:

CTRL+SHIFT+ESC for life.

I can understand if taskbar being your main goto has suddenly gone, thats going to be pretty jarring.

oh hey I didn't even know that one thanks

...tried win11 again, backed out of it again.  I love it overall but I should probably wait until it's reasonably close to release...I won't, but I should.

1 minute ago, George P said:

Was just going to post about this, beat me to it.  Time to see what's new or tweaked in this build.

Excited to see screenshots if there are even any tiny changes :D

Back in the day I'd be running my main driver with beta builds but it didn't really matter back then.

BTW, if I decide to join the insider program and use a VM, my existing licence won't work will it? With me concurrently already running Windows 10 for the VM?

2 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Excited to see screenshots if there are even any tiny changes :D

Back in the day I'd be running my main driver with beta builds but it didn't really matter back then.

BTW, if I decide to join the insider program and use a VM, my existing licence won't work will it? With me concurrently already running Windows 10 for the VM?

I'm not quite sure how VMs go?  Can't you install it without a key and just ignore the activation error it spits out on the desktop?  I haven't installed a insider build in a VM in quite some time.

E5yiZStWUAoxCY2.jpg:large

The new Settings app is such a huge step up, looking so good.   There's also this little tidbit I just saw posted.

9 minutes ago, George P said:

I'm not quite sure how VMs go?  Can't you install it without a key and just ignore the activation error it spits out on the desktop?  I haven't installed a insider build in a VM in quite some time.

you can but you don't get customization or most of the new rounded UI elements without activating.

There are a few activation scripts out there for the Windows 11 insider builds if you search but since that's a gray area I'm not going to link/refer directly to them but they're out there

9 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

you can but you don't get customization or most of the new rounded UI elements without activating.

There are a few activation scripts out there for the Windows 11 insider builds if you search but since that's a gray area I'm not going to link/refer directly to them but they're out there

MS should just release special keys for use with VMs for insiders.  It's not like the OS can't figure out it's running on vbox.

This is a nice little addition,  The WU section of the Settings app now gives you a ETA on install/reboot for updates.   Also, MS said updating Windows 11 should be a good bit faster compared to Windows 10.