Official Windows 11 Insider builds

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, George P said:

I hope it's not RTM yet... I'm hoping they'll add app/icon folders/groups back to the start menu (for pinned apps) before it's finalized (I made sure I found and up-voted feedback requesting that). That's the main thing I miss from Windows 10. And we don't have the Andriod apps yet either, though I suppose that could already be in the build just not enabled.

Though, if one installed a leaked build from the insiders ring and it gets updates not sure how that's proof it's RTM...

Just received an email from the Insiders.. stating that the Beta ring will be getting builds later this month.

In response to 22000 being the RTM.. not sure. Kinda leaves it up in the air.. I mean, are they releasing it soon.. or in the fall as previously known?

22000 may be the build prime number, but if the Dev ring is on .51... it may be well into those numbers as the final RTM. Ex: 22000.750. (give or take - just guessing)

Build 22000.71 is out.

• Like 1

Guys if you are using 22000.71 or lower build, create a folder and rename it to

System.{BB06C0E4-D293-4f75-8A90-CB05B6477EEE}

Then open it to see the absurdity. I am sure most of you will be familiar with the Classic System Properties. Windows Branding and logo is wrong there.

FnXjRz9.png

On 18/07/2021 at 19:35, d5aqoëp said:

Guys if you are using 22000.71 or lower build, create a folder and rename it to

System.{BB06C0E4-D293-4f75-8A90-CB05B6477EEE}

Then open it to see the absurdity. I am sure most of you will be familiar with the Classic System Properties. Windows Branding and logo is wrong there.

FnXjRz9.png

welcome to beta stuff where ###### isnt finnished... Nothing new moving along

Considering the control panel is on the way out, slow death for sure, and probably going to be even more hidden away in 11, I'd say they're not going to bother making any sort of changes to it you might find if you dig.

If there was some way to rip it out without breaking apps I'm sure they would've done it long ago.  It's that double edge sword called compatibility.  On one hand it makes Windows what it is, on the other it's also the bane of it's existence.

That's why the ideas about everything in containers that 10X was going for was super interesting IMO.  Maybe that'll find it's way into full Windows in time.

I haven't noticed any issues with Build 22000.71 myself. 

We’ve addressed an issue that was making your mouse move slowly when hovering over the Taskbar previews.

I was experiencing that issue on my Surface Pro X with the last build, and it caused some serious mouse pointer lag when the preview popped up. Whew, so glad that's fixed.

Looks like I have Teams chat, but it doesn't display anything, super handy...

SNAG-0000.png

Already tried killing the instance, didn't help.

On 23/07/2021 at 02:55, Steven P. said:

Looks like I have Teams chat, but it doesn't display anything, super handy...

Already tried killing the instance, didn't help.

Tried updating graphics drivers?  You wouldn't think you'd even need to with a new OS but it was really slow with some of my non DirectX games until I did.

On 23/07/2021 at 17:10, Randomevent said:

Tried updating graphics drivers?  You wouldn't think you'd even need to with a new OS but it was really slow with some of my non DirectX games until I did.

Well it is in a VM so IDK.

On 27/07/2021 at 08:47, Steven P. said:

Well it is in a VM so IDK.

...and later I think it cleared up on its own.  I don't know, don't ask me.  :p

On 28/07/2021 at 12:49, domboy said:

Has anyone gotten this new build?

Unlikely anyone will before tomorrow at the earliest.

On 28/07/2021 at 21:49, domboy said:

Has anyone gotten this new build?

On 28/07/2021 at 21:51, adrynalyne said:

Yep, apparently there will also be a beta build (promised before the end of the month) so I expect we will see that tomorrow, Thursday 1PM ET

On 28/07/2021 at 15:55, Steven P. said:

Yep, apparently there will also be a beta build (promised before the end of the month) so I expect we will see that tomorrow, Thursday 1PM ET

On 28/07/2021 at 15:51, adrynalyne said:

Ah ok, I do see Thursday/Friday is when mine has install the previous two builds. I wasn't sure since that tweet had the date as the 27th. Thanks.

On 28/07/2021 at 22:09, domboy said:

Ah ok, I do see Thursday/Friday is when mine has install the previous two builds. I wasn't sure since that tweet had the date as the 27th. Thanks.

Microsoft tests the builds internally for a few days usually, if no computer is on fire, they release it, apparently :D 

On 28/07/2021 at 16:13, Tantawi said:

Microsoft tests the builds internally for a few days usually, if no computer is on fire, they release it, apparently :D 

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation! This is my first time trying an Insiders build.

What about memory management (and gaming on it)?

It is better, the same, improved or worsened in comparison to Windows 10 latest builds?

On 29/07/2021 at 09:19, kiddingguy said:

What about memory management (and gaming on it)?

It is better, the same, improved or worsened in comparison to Windows 10 latest builds?

Too early to make that determination. Its very rough still, and gaming really shouldn't be evaluated and considered accurate due to a lot of debugging processes running.

On 29/07/2021 at 11:25, adrynalyne said:

Too early to make that determination. Its very rough still, and gaming really shouldn't be evaluated and considered accurate due to a lot of debugging processes running.

I don't really benchmark stuff usually so take this as you will (I do most of my gaming on Xbox atm) but it feels better for it in general.  Not significantly, but it's nice to have Auto HDR as well.

That said, the AMD driver installer insists their current win10 drivers are outdated but sticking with the OS' default gives me some wonky perf at times.  I'll stick with the win10 driver releases for now.

Just to show you how ahead MS is internally compared to the build they push out to testers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft Office 2021 is coming on October 5, LTSC available today
      by Usama Jawad

Back in February, Microsoft announced upcoming updates to two variants of Office, namely Office Long Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) and Office 2021. Both are quite similar in nature with a key difference being that the former is meant for organizational use and the latter is intended for consumers. Both offer five years of mainstream support via a one-time "perpetual" license purchase, but that also means that they won't get any new features or updates until the next perpetual license release. They are primarily intended for organizations and consumers who can't migrate to the cloud to take advantage of Microsoft 365, which gets updated way more frequently.

Microsoft announced a commercial preview of its LTSC releases in April, and now it has announced that Office LTSC has become generally available (GA) to organizations starting today while Office 2021 will hit GA on October 5, which is the same date as Windows 11's general rollout.

Microsoft has emphasized that Microsoft 365's subscription-based system is its preferred direction for the future, it understands that in some scenarios, organizations can't migrate to the cloud or connect certain services to the internet. As such, LTSC releases has more value for them. Although this LTSC release contains performance enhancements and improved accessibility, Microsoft has noted that it cannot take advantage of cloud-driven hybrid security capabilities, AI automation, and real-time collaboration. The company has noted that it will be making "investments" to make it easier for LTSC customers to shift to Microsoft 365 in the future.

Although you can dive into the full feature-set in Microsoft's documentation here, some highlights are that Office LTSC supports OpenDocument format (ODF 1.3), includes more Office Add-ins JavaScript APIs, and features new languages. It is also getting Dynamic Arrays and the new XLOOKUP function in Excel, Line Focus in Word, and the ability to record a slideshow with narration in PowerPoint.

Another major change from previous releases is that Office LTSC ships with Teams as part of the installed features, rather than Skype for Business, but Teams is treated differently than other Office apps. Unlike the others, it will continue to get updates continuously over time, but you also only get access to the free version of Teams, since the premium version is licensed separately. You can learn more about managing the free version of Teams here.

Office 2021 is the consumer version of "perpetual" Office and will replace Office 2019 on October 5, 2021. It will be available on Windows and macOS just like Office LTSC. If you're an IT admin at an organization looking to upgrade to Office LTSC generally available today, you can go through Microsoft's deployment instructions here.

• By Steven P.
      Windows 11 build 22000.194 adds update block for Virtual Machines in Beta channel
      by Steven Parker

Microsoft is today releasing a Beta channel build. While the Dev channel got Windows 11 build 22458 yesterday, the beta channel is being served a cumulative update, bumping up the build number to 22000.194. This is to be expected since the version heading to the Beta channel is in its final stages of development, being made ready for the October 5 release. However, the version will continue receiving cumulative updates with bug fixes post-release, especially since the release is a staggered one.

As for the fixes themselves, there's a few that are listed below, but readers might need to be aware that this build also introduces the TPM requirements in Virtual Machines, meaning updates will be blocked if you are running Windows 11 in anything but VMWare Workstation Pro or Hyper-V Manager that is included in Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise editions of Windows.

The build, however, contains a the exact same list of known issues as the previous one, released a week ago. It is anybody’s guess if these issues will be fixed in time for general availability, or if the OS ships with a few known issues, something that has happened in the past with certain Windows 10 versions.

Here is the complete list of issues:

As usual, Beta channel users can check for updates via Windows Update to pull the build. It will not be surprising to soon see Windows 11 builds head to the Release Preview channel for consumers since they have already begun being made available for commercial testing.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Closer Look: Default apps settings in Windows 11
      by Usama Jawad

We are inching closer to the general release of Windows 11, which is almost three weeks away. Although we have already discussed some of the OS' main features, we dive into some of the smaller capabilities in more detail twice a week in our ongoing Closer Look series.

So far, we have taken a look at Search, Widgets, the Start menu, Snap Layouts and Snap Groups, the Taskbar, quick settings and notifications, Virtual Desktops, and power and battery settings in Windows 11. In light of some recent developments, we feel that it is only fitting that we discuss default app settings available in the OS.

For the purpose of this hands-on, we'll be taking a look at Windows 11 build 22000.184 that was released to the Beta Channel a week ago versus a publicly available and up-to-date Windows 10 (version 21H1 build 19043.1237). As usual, it is important to note that the OS is still under active development so it's possible that some of the features we talk about may change by the time of Windows 11's general availability.

Default apps settings in Windows 10 Before we analyze what's on offer in Windows 11, we will first take a look at similar capabilities present in Windows 10. Fortunately, the ability to set default apps in Windows 10 is fairly straightforward. You get categories like Email, Maps, Music player, Photo viewer, Video player, and Web browser, and you can click on any of them to choose your default app. When being displayed a list of possible apps to choose from, you also get a label with the text "Recommended for Windows 10" below Microsoft apps like Microsoft Edge, Groove Music, and more. Microsoft apps are shown at the top of the list but there isn't anything more blatant beyond that.

Choosing default apps by file type in Windows 10 Of course, you can also choose default apps by file types and protocols, and have the ability to set defaults by app. It's quite a useful interface and utility, especially for power users who have a lot of software installed on their machine and want to customize how they want to open each of their files.

Default apps settings in Windows 11 When we come over to Windows 11, the situation is completely different, and not in a good way. While Microsoft has added a couple of useful search bars that should make it easier to sift through file extensions and associations, the first thing you'll notice is that the company has completely done away with the productivity categories. Instead, that space has been taken up by the "set defaults by app" UI, through which you can click on specific apps and then choose their association.

Setting default file types or link types by app in Windows 11 What this essentially means is that if you want to set Google Chrome (or any other browser, for that matter) as your default web browser, you will have to individually set it as the default for each and every extension and link, as can be seen above. In fact, when you attempt to switch a default app from a Microsoft-recommended one to another of your choice, Microsoft will show you a notification about how you're making the biggest mistake of your life (okay, I'm exaggerating that a bit).

There's not a lot else to say. Microsoft has added a couple of nifty search bars but stripped away the very useful ability that enables even laymen and people who are not tech-savvy to set their default app. This is strictly in contrast to Microsoft's boasts of accessibility in Windows 11. This UI and process is not accessible at all to someone who is not well-acquainted with tech. There's no other way to say it.

At best, this is a terrible design decision that has to be overturned at some point in time. And at worst, it's a very intentional move by Microsoft to promote its own default apps and make it difficult for people to set their own choice of apps as the defaults. I'm almost certain that it's the latter scenario given the fact that it strips away usability without offering a proper replacement.

This change does not only impact end-users, but app vendors as well. Now, they have to rely completely on the user to go and manually change the default app for each file association. There has been massive backlash on this decision from rival companies too. It has even led to Mozilla reverse-engineering Microsoft's own code for Edge in order to set Firefox as the default browser in Windows via a single click initiated by the user. Other developers are building tools that forces Windows to bypass default apps, especially when it comes to web browsers. I'm pretty sure that other Microsoft competitors will follow suit too unless Microsoft decides to either enhance its UI or plug this option entirely. If it does the latter, I can see rival firms taking it to court over antitrust issues.

All in all, there is nothing positive to say about the default apps settings in Windows 11. I won't mince words, it's absolutely terrible and counter-intuitive to human-centric design. I sincerely hope Microsoft rethinks the cost of what it's doing here. Moves like this erode public trust, as we have seen in the past with Windows updates and telemetry debacles in Windows 10.

Take a look at the section here or select from the links below to continue exploring Windows 11 in our ongoing "Closer Look" series:

Closer Look: Search in Windows 11 Closer Look: Widgets in Windows 11 Closer Look: Start menu in Windows 11 Closer Look: Snap Layouts and Snap Groups in Windows 11 Closer Look: Taskbar in Windows 11 Closer Look: Quick settings and notifications in Windows 11 Closer Look: Virtual Desktops in Windows 11 Closer Look: Power and battery settings in Windows 11
    • By Abhay V
      Windows 11 build 22458 for the Dev channel brings a 'Sign-in options' link to the power menu [Update]
      by Abhay V

Microsoft today released a new Windows 11 Dev channel build from the rs_prerelease branch. The build brings just one UI change in the form of a new 'Sign-in options' link to the power menu in Start. There are, as expected, a bunch of bug fixes and known issues accompanying the single new feature.

While the company has been releasing Dev and Beta channel builds simultaneously, it does not seem to be the case today, as there is no Beta channel build in sight yet. Surprisingly, there was no cumulative update for the OS either yesterday as part of the Patch Tuesday updates. As for Dev channel builds themselves, major new features slated for release in the next version will eventually start appearing in these releases.

Generally, the firm releases servicing updates when builds head to the Beta and/or Release Preview channels, which is the case with Windows 11 since it is now available for commercial customers in the Release Preview channel. With Windows 11 slated to begin rolling out to eligible users starting October 5, it is surprising to see the bulk of bug fixes heading to Dev channel builds. The firm does note that it will bring "some fixes" from these Insider builds to the stable version after it releases. It is anybody's guess if these features will come in the way of day one updates.

Here are the fixes made as part of build 22458:

As is expected with development builds, there are a bunch of known issues that users should be aware of. This includes the taskbar bug that misaligns the Start menu and the app icons, resulting in some icons being cut off. Here is the complete list of known issues:

Lastly, Microsoft is also announcing a refreshed Tips app for Windows 11, complete with UI refreshes and the ability to serve "100+" tips for users. The OS is also receiving the ability to serve tips across the OS showing off new capabilities and features added, such as widgets, the new touch-focused improvements, and much more.

Update: As pointed out by our readers, which was also confirmed by Microsoft's Brandon LeBlanc, the 'Sign-in options' link has been present in the Dev channel since last week's release. The addition was not mentioned in last week's release notes.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft: Running Windows 11 on M1 Macs is not a supported scenario
      by Usama Jawad

Around a month ago, Parallels announced that its Desktop 17 software supports running Windows 11 on both Intel and M1 Macs. However, users would only be able to emulate the Windows on ARM variant of the OS. It is important to note that in order to get Windows on ARM up and running on virtualization software like Parallels, you have to grab and utilize a virtual hard disk file from a Windows Insider Preview build, as noted by XDA.

That said, in a statement issued to The Register recently, a Microsoft spokesperson has confirmed that running Windows 11 on M1 Mac devices isn't a "supported scenario". What this means is that while you can install the OS via Parallels on an M1 Mac, if you run into any issue, Microsoft isn't responsible for providing a workaround or a fix. Furthermore, if at any point in the future, Microsoft makes changes to the OS that renders this virtualization impossible, people who paid for software like Parallels Desktop will be left out in te cold.

It is important to understand the importance of this caveat as a Windows 11 Dev Channel build recently starting throwing errors related to hardware compatibility on M1 Macs, and although Parallels was able to update its software to resolve the issue, there might be a future scenario where a quick fix is not possible. Interestingly, Thurrott does say that a source told him that Windows on ARM for M1 Macs would be officially supported by Microsoft in September. However, this seems to be very unlikely to happen now, in light of the recent statement.