Incandescent light bulbs now banned in the US per new energy efficiency rules

BALTIMORE -- Incandescent light bulbs are now banned in the US.

This initiative was first introduced in 2007. It was rolled back by the Trump Administration, but in April, President Biden flipped the switch on it.

Customers are now urged to start buying LED light bulbs because they conserve energy.

Some people have already made the switch.

They're much better," Elaine Yelverton of Waverly said. "They're much better. They stay on longer and last longer… It's a good investment."

[...]

Incandescent light bulbs now banned in the US per new energy efficiency rules - CBS Baltimore (cbsnews.com)

I've been using LED for ages now because they last longer and get much brighter.  I have "daylight" color bulbs in the living room and they're awesome.

I get a head ache listening to far right people talk about hoarding incandescent bulbs and how LED burn out in "weeks"... what cheap a** bulb are they buying from a grey market china vendor? I have had some LED bulbs for 10yrs now that are still working, sure they aren't as bright as LED's do dim over time but they still work

the best part the incandescent ban originally started under G.W. Bush, but yet somehow it's the Left taking your "rights" away... why do people want to pay more to run lights? I don't get it... yeah the bulb costs more up front but over its life you save money...and now days, they are pretty cheap, and even have filament versions that look the same basically

the more ironic thing is the original act was called "Energy Independence and Security Act" sounds like a republican name right? the whole idea was to rely less on foreign energy......

Edited by neufuse

A lot of people will buy the cheapest LED bulbs they can find, which are usually not enclosure rated and have poor cooling. Then they stick them inside glass enclosed ceiling fixtures where they overheat and the components fail and cause them to start flashing and flickering. Buy good quality enclosure rated bulbs and they'll last for decades. I haven't used incandescent bulbs in my house for a really long time, except for Christmas lights. No one will ever take away my old fashioned painted C7 incandescents; LED Christmas bulbs suuuuck (but not as bad as those stupid mini bulbs where one goes out and takes out the entire string). 😁

• Like 2

On 04/08/2023 at 20:14, neufuse said:

I get a head ache listening to far right people talk about hoarding incandescent bulbs and how LED burn out in "weeks"... what cheap a** bulb are they buying from a grey market china vendor? I have had some LED bulbs for 10yrs now that are still working, sure they aren't as bright as LED's do dim over time but they still work

the best part the incandescent ban originally started under G.W. Bush, but yet somehow it's the Left taking your "rights" away... why do people want to pay more to run lights? I don't get it... yeah the bulb costs more up front but over its life you save money...and now days, they are pretty cheap, and even have filament versions that look the same basically

the more ironic thing is the original act was called "Energy Independence and Security Act" sounds like a republican name right? the whole idea was to rely less on foreign energy......

I’ve had problems with led bulbs burning out in weeks. They were the Walmart great value bulbs. Complete ######. Lasted a couple months at best. Problem I have with these bulbs is that I don’t know what brands are good. 

On 04/08/2023 at 21:41, seta-san said:

I’ve had problems with led bulbs burning out in weeks. They were the Walmart great value bulbs. Complete ######. Lasted a couple months at best. Problem I have with these bulbs is that I don’t know what brands are good. 

you bought a cheap brand, which is basically a rebrand of that chinese junk line... buy a good brand like OSRAM, Phillips, GE, Fiet Electric, Halo they will last a long time

On 04/08/2023 at 21:29, Rigby said:

A lot of people will buy the cheapest LED bulbs they can find, which are usually not enclosure rated and have poor cooling. Then they stick them inside glass enclosed ceiling fixtures where they overheat and the components fail and cause them to start flashing and flickering. Buy good quality enclosure rated bulbs and they'll last for decades. I haven't used incandescent bulbs in my house for a really long time, except for Christmas lights. No one will ever take away my old fashioned painted C7 incandescents; LED Christmas bulbs suuuuck (but not as bad as those stupid mini bulbs where one goes out and takes out the entire string). 😁

I got some C7 LED's that are screw in they look exactly like the old ones, expensive though $2 a bulb, no flicker at all, look amazing actually

I started using LED lightbulbs in 2011 and I've used LEDs ever since.

I prefer LED bulbs because they last for years instead of months... and they don't generate tons of wasted excess heat.

95% of the energy consumption of incandescents is lost to heat... with only 5% going to visible light.

Yeah they cost more per bulb... but if they last ten times as long, use less power, and are cooler... why would anyone want old-fashioned incandescents?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/08/2023 at 22:30, Michael Scrip said:

I started using LED lightbulbs in 2011 and I've used LEDs ever since.

I prefer LED bulbs because they last for years instead of months... and they don't generate tons of wasted excess heat.

95% of the energy consumption of incandescents is lost to heat... with only 5% going to visible light.

Yeah they cost more per bulb... but if they last ten times as long, use less power, and are cooler... why would anyone want old-fashioned incandescents?

because the republicans told them this is the dems talking their american rights away! must stock up on 100w bulbs!!!! they will never take my tungsten away! 🤣

On 04/08/2023 at 20:44, neufuse said:

you bought a cheap brand, which is basically a rebrand of that chinese junk line... buy a good brand like OSRAM, Phillips, GE, Fiet Electric, Halo they will last a long time

biggest one there being GE. The tried and true reliable of incandescents is still just as reliable in the LED space, so not knowing brands isn't even an excuse if you go with old familiar.

It looks like I have to replace my ceiling fan.  It doesn't LED bulbs.  When you turn off the light, the bulb glows.  The fan was installed before my wife and I bought the place.

On 25/08/2023 at 10:06, Steffan said:

It looks like I have to replace my ceiling fan.  It doesn't LED bulbs.  When you turn off the light, the bulb glows.  The fan was installed before my wife and I bought the place.

that's just odd, sounds like there is voltage where it shouldn't be in your ceiling fan or how its wired up

On 25/08/2023 at 10:06, Steffan said:

I had the same thing. It has to do with the quality of the bulb. I replaced them with higher quality bulbs and it doesn't do it anymore for me. Gotta admit thought, it made a great night light. 

On 26/08/2023 at 01:20, Warwagon said:

Just got my electric bill for the month. All LED bulbs, computers, and AC set to 74F .. $104

Okay...?  I'm sure that's nice for you but... where's the comparison with incandescent bulbs?  Otherwise your data literally means nothing...

On 26/08/2023 at 07:20, FloatingFatMan said:

Okay...?  I'm sure that's nice for you but... where's the comparison with incandescent bulbs?  Otherwise your data literally means nothing...

doesn't really mean anything either way... could have had on incandescent bulbs 4hrs a day but leave LED on 14hrs a day in the end it could be a wash

This is good - we replaced all the bulbs in our house with LED bulbs years ago.  We just purchased a new kitchen light which is strips of LED lights.  It should last 10-12 years.  

On 25/08/2023 at 19:20, Warwagon said:

Just got my electric bill for the month. All LED bulbs, computers, and AC set to 74F .. $104

All LED's here $235 per month power bill, AC on NEST set to 74F. It's hard to remove Humidity in Florida when it (Humidity) has almost nowhere to go. 

This is data relative to the observer as the variables change.

On 25/08/2023 at 08:02, neufuse said:

because the republicans told them this is the dems talking their american rights away! must stock up on 100w bulbs!!!! they will never take my tungsten away! 🤣

Thank God for President Biden.  

On 27/08/2023 at 12:05, xrobwx71 said:

Thank God for President Biden.  

and George W. Bush 😅 he's the one it passed under as a energy independence act to get us "not reliant on foreign energy" that was the big republican push at the time, it's amazing how the republicans today forget this fact

• Like 3

On 27/08/2023 at 11:39, neufuse said:

and George W. Bush 😅 he's the one it passed under as a energy independence act to get us "not reliant on foreign energy" that was the big republican push at the time, it's amazing how the republicans today forget this fact

We forget it because we have you to keep up with it for us. 😁