Incandescent light bulbs now banned in the US per new energy efficiency rules

On 27/10/2023 at 16:34, Dan~ said:

So hang on, these Osram bulbs which have been approved to be road legal is just marketing, is that what you’re saying?

Just visit https://osram.com/nb-led and you’ll see you’re wrong, not that you’d admit it...

Corporate websites are not the best places to go to for facts...  You're white knighting, dude. :p

• Haha 3

On 26/10/2023 at 16:01, DocM said:

They aren't part of thr incandescent ban yet. Give 'em a little more time and they will be. 

I mean sure...this particular ban origin started with the Energy Independence and Security Act in 2007.  The Department of Energy followed Section 321 (source) of this Act which clearly spells out the exclusions.  So sure, I guess it could happen in another 16 years...ha.

On 28/10/2023 at 00:38, The Rev said:

wth I thought this happened years ago...

It was supposed to in 2020 ... but you-know-who (he knows light bulbs better than anyone, he has the best light bulbs) rolled back the ban.

• Haha 2

On 28/10/2023 at 01:57, FloatingFatMan said:

Corporate websites are not the best places to go to for facts...  You're white knighting, dude. :p

I guess Osram isn’t big in US which is why you’re all acting a bit weird and refusing to accept facts/laws, Osram is a highly respectable company in Europe at least, hopefully the US will catch up 

On 28/10/2023 at 03:25, Dan~ said:

I guess Osram isn’t big in US which is why you’re all acting a bit weird and refusing to accept facts/laws, Osram is a highly respectable company in Europe at least, hopefully the US will catch up 

Osram is just as big in the US; they go under the name Sylvania (also respected) and FloatingFatMan isn’t even in the US. Nor is Matthew S. for that matter. 

We arent acting weird, we are trying to explain headlight housings designed for halogen don’t necessarily work well for drop-in retrofit leds. That’s why it hasn’t taken off and halogen headlamps banned. The legality part was brought up by solely you. Your “facts” are based on marketing shtick. 

On 28/10/2023 at 13:32, adrynalyne said:

Osram is just as big in the US; they go under the name Sylvania (also respected) and FloatingFatMan isn’t even in the US. Nor is Matthew S. for that matter. 

We arent acting weird, we are trying to explain headlight housings designed for halogen don’t necessarily work well for drop-in retrofit leds. That’s why it hasn’t taken off and halogen headlamps banned. The legality part was brought up by solely you. Your “facts” are based on marketing shtick. 

I see you’re now saying “necessarily” good because the lights are road legal for certain cars in certain countries (both been updated regularly). No marketing magic, they’re legal, the same as some Philips LED retrofits.

Housing doesn’t matter nor does it matter if it’s projector or reflector lense, you just need the correct adaptor (if needed) for your car

On 28/10/2023 at 05:43, Dan~ said:

I see you’re now saying “necessarily” good because the lights are road legal for certain cars in certain countries (both been updated regularly). No marketing magic, they’re legal, the same as some Philips LED retrofits

My position was never about legality, so, no. 😂

You seem to think performance, what I was discussing, is legality. Is there a language barrier here or something?

On 28/10/2023 at 13:46, adrynalyne said:

My position was never about legality, so, no. 😂

You seem to think performance, what I was discussing, is legality. Is there a language barrier here or something?

Performance where have I said that? I’ve said countless times it’s legal, you can go on the Osram, Philips, TUV site and EU regulation site if you want or are you purposely being obtuse?

I guess because it’s not American and foreign it means it’s lies and false marketing with you 

On 28/10/2023 at 06:06, Dan~ said:

Performance where have I said that? I’ve said countless times it’s legal, you can go on the Osram, Philips, TUV site and EU regulation site if you want or are you purposely being obtuse?

I guess because it’s not American and foreign it means it’s lies and false marketing with you 

Look at what you originally replied to and said I was “factually” incorrect. 

You went off on this legality tangent, not me. I’ve been trying to be nice and not accuse you of shifting goalposts but that’s precisely what you did. 

On 28/10/2023 at 14:09, adrynalyne said:

Look at what you originally replied to and said I was “factually” incorrect. 

You went off on this legality tangent, not me. I’ve been trying to be nice and not accuse you of shifting goalposts but that’s precisely what you did. 

You were factually incorrect due to their being some that’s legal but then you started with the insults by saying I don’t know what words mean.

It’s clear you were narrow minded and wasn’t aware of road legal LED retrofits, but instead of accepting it you’ve gone on a tangent. I’m hoping you’ve just got troll tendencies rather than being pig ignorant to facts

On 28/10/2023 at 11:25, Dan~ said:

I guess you didn't notice my location then?  Dude, white knighting for ANY company, no matter who they are, is just plain weird.  What, you think they care even a teeny tiny little bit about customer loyalty or being completely honest about their product?  They just want your money, dude. :p

Also, well known? Maybe to you, I've never heard of Osram, personally. ;)

On 28/10/2023 at 13:32, adrynalyne said:

This... Fact.  If the housing isn't designed for the bulb type, you risk heat damage to the housing and potential electrical damage if the voltage/wattage rating is too different.  Halogens use WAY more power than LEDs do, if you're trying to use them in an LED housing or vice-versa, you're asking for trouble...

And before you ask, I'm not a vehicle electrician, but I DO have about 44 years of electronics hobbyist experience.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2023 at 14:30, FloatingFatMan said:

This... Fact.  If the housing isn't designed for the bulb type, you risk heat damage to the housing and potential electrical damage if the voltage/wattage rating is too different.  Halogens use WAY more power than LEDs do, if you're trying to use them in an LED housing, you're asking for trouble...

Never heard of Osram, says it all 🤣

There’s no risk when using the correct bulb, adaptor for an approved car

On 28/10/2023 at 14:33, Dan~ said:

All it says is that I've never come across that particular brand of bulbs, nothing more.  Or if I have, it was so long ago I just don't remember.  My car uses LEDs, so did the previous one so that counts for like, 10 years.

On 28/10/2023 at 09:33, Dan~ said:

There’s no risk when using the correct bulb, adaptor for an approved car

Talk to a certified mechanic, they'll tell you differently.

On 28/10/2023 at 06:47, Matthew S. said:

Talk to a certified mechanic, they'll tell you differently.

Nobody is gonna get through to him. 

On 28/10/2023 at 06:21, Dan~ said:

You were factually incorrect due to their being some that’s legal but then you started with the insults by saying I don’t know what words mean.

It’s clear you were narrow minded and wasn’t aware of road legal LED retrofits, but instead of accepting it you’ve gone on a tangent. I’m hoping you’ve just got troll tendencies rather than being pig ignorant to facts

I WAS NEVER TALKING ABOUT LEGALITY. 

Ok, can you read that? Is it unclear in any way? Do I need to make the font larger? How can I be factually incorrect about something I wasn’t taking about? 

On 28/10/2023 at 16:19, adrynalyne said:

Ok, can you read that? Is it unclear in any way? Do I need to make the font larger? How can I be factually incorrect about something I wasn’t taking about? 

Bit of a waste of time arguing with a white knight, mate... Might as well talk to a wall...

• Like 2

On 28/10/2023 at 08:24, FloatingFatMan said:

Bit of a waste of time arguing with a white knight, mate... Might as well talk to a wall...

Yeah, I am done, for the second time. I should have listened to myself. He isn’t even reading what is being said. 

• Like 2

On 28/10/2023 at 16:19, adrynalyne said:

You said about blinding people, an unapproved headlight will blind people but the approved ones don’t.

Then went off on trying to know more than me when all you’ve done is proved you have absolutely no idea what you’re taking about. I suspected you got blinded by some eejit who retrofitted some from an unknown Chinese eBay special, rather than £300 approved and tested Osrams.

You’ve done everything to try and insult me for no reason other than you know you’re wrong and trying to deflect.

What a sad individual you are, along with FloatingFatMan and Matthew S who has also joined in and knowledge in the matter is non existent

On 28/10/2023 at 16:03, Dan~ said:

You said about blinding people, an unapproved headlight will blind people but the approved ones don’t.

No, even "approved" halogens can blind you, especially if the housing is NOT DESIGNED for the particular discharge rating that you've chosen and improper aiming.

Then went off on trying to know more than me when all you’ve done is proved you have absolutely no idea what you’re taking about. I suspected you got blinded by some eejit who retrofitted some from an unknown Chinese eBay special, rather than £300 approved and tested Osrams.

We obviously do know more than you.  I have no problems with LED lights on cars, as long as the car is designed for them.  I drive a car that came with them stock.

I also have a car that uses halogen, yes I was like you at one point and said "let's put LED's in there" they're " DOT approved", so went to my local auto parts shop and grabbed a bunch of Sylvania (Which is Osram), guess what? I had so many issues with them from being too dim to burning out parts of the electrical system, took it to a mechanic, and guess what was the root cause of the issues? the blubs that the system wasn't designed for. 

The other issue is due to the housing not being meant for them is in the winter, not enough heat is sent forward through the housing causing ice buildup while driving, which is a major safety issue, in North America people are on the road much longer than in European countries.

You’ve done everything to try and insult me for no reason other than you know you’re wrong and trying to deflect.

What a sad individual you are, along with FloatingFatMan and Matthew S who has also joined in and knowledge in the matter is non existent

You're assuming none of us work on our own cars or know how to research or for a fact have experience with these issues.

So sure claim that we don't know what we're talking about, but we sure as hell know more than you.

• Like 2

On 28/10/2023 at 21:56, Matthew S. said:

No, even "approved" halogens can blind you, especially if the housing is NOT DESIGNED for the particular discharge rating that you've chosen and improper aiming.

We obviously do know more than you.  I have no problems with LED lights on cars, as long as the car is designed for them.  I drive a car that came with them stock.

I also have a car that uses halogen, yes I was like you at one point and said "let's put LED's in there" they're " DOT approved", so went to my local auto parts shop and grabbed a bunch of Sylvania (Which is Osram), guess what? I had so many issues with them from being too dim to burning out parts of the electrical system, took it to a mechanic, and guess what was the root cause of the issues? the blubs that the system wasn't designed for. 

The other issue is due to the housing not being meant for them is in the winter, not enough heat is sent forward through the housing causing ice buildup while driving, which is a major safety issue, in North America people are on the road much longer than in European countries.

You're assuming none of us work on our own cars or know how to research or for a fact have experience with these issues.

So sure claim that we don't know what we're talking about, but we sure as hell know more than you.

Osram has only since 2021 made road legal LEDs, obviously the approval needed for DOT approval is not as stringent as tests needed in Europe but there’s no surprise there considering the US is often years behind for regulations.

Hopefully these new ones will make their way to you and you’ll see there’s no issue, just expect around $400 for the lights.

Halogen can blind you like you said but as far as i’m aware you don’t have proper car tests done in US like we do in UK so the chances of being blinded is incredibly low

Edited by Dan~

On 28/10/2023 at 17:20, Dan~ said:

Osram has only since 2021 made road legal LEDs, obviously the approval needed for DOT approval is not as stringent as tests needed in Europe but there’s no surprise there considering the US is often years behind for regulations.

Hopefully these new ones will make their way to you and you’ll see there’s no issue, just expect around $400 for the lights.

Halogen can blind you like you said but as far as i’m aware you don’t have proper car tests done in US like we do in UK so the chances of being blinded is incredibly low

You still don't get it, if the system is not designed for it it doesn't matter what the ECE/SAE/DOT/etc says.

I'm out it's like talking to a brick wall.

• Like 2

On 29/10/2023 at 01:25, Matthew S. said:

You still don't get it, if the system is not designed for it it doesn't matter what the ECE/SAE/DOT/etc says.

I'm out it's like talking to a brick wall.

And what you don’t get is these bulbs are designed, tested and approved to be retrofitted into halogen housings in Europe and for specific cars at the moment!!

It’s me who’s talking to a brick wall not you talking to one.

I don’t believe you understand how rigorous testing is in Europe and how rigorous the yearly car tests we have. lighting beam, colour, approved bulbs used & headlight washer system works.

An example say you bought a Tesla which was identical in Europe as it was in US, the US headlights are brighter because Tesla does not have a headlight washer system, so Tesla has to dim the headlights in order to sell the car in Europe. If they didn’t then the car will be banned, yet US where regulations not caught up yet can have the full potential of the headlights but can blind people because it doesn’t have a headlight washer system.

I’m sorry if this is difficult for you lot to comprehend, maybe you need to realise that’s America’s way isn’t the only way and not the best?

• Facepalm 2