Incandescent light bulbs now banned in the US per new energy efficiency rules

On 29/10/2023 at 10:11, Dan~ said:

And what you don’t get is these bulbs are designed, tested and approved to be retrofitted into halogen housings in Europe and for specific cars at the moment!!

It’s me who’s talking to a brick wall not you talking to one.

I don’t believe you understand how rigorous testing is in Europe and how rigorous the yearly car tests we have. lighting beam, colour, approved bulbs used & headlight washer system works.

An example say you bought a Tesla which was identical in Europe as it was in US, the US headlights are brighter because Tesla does not have a headlight washer system, so Tesla has to dim the headlights in order to sell the car in Europe. If they didn’t then the car will be banned, yet US where regulations not caught up yet can have the full potential of the headlights but can blind people because it doesn’t have a headlight washer system.

I’m sorry if this is difficult for you lot to comprehend, maybe you need to realise that’s America’s way isn’t the only way and not the best?

PLENTY of headlights in the UK are so damn bright they can dazzle you at night, so I wouldn't get on your high horse about American safety standards if I were you...  I've lost count of the number of times I've gone blind for a few seconds because some dipshit put aftermarket bulbs in their car without changing the reflectors or housing to compensate.

• Like 2

On 29/10/2023 at 10:18, FloatingFatMan said:

PLENTY of headlights in the UK are so damn bright they can dazzle you at night, so I wouldn't get on your high horse about American safety standards if I were you...  I've lost count of the number of times I've gone blind for a few seconds because some dipshit put aftermarket bulbs in their car without changing the reflectors or housing to compensate.

That is someone putting any old HIDs illegally and will fail the MOT and immediately invalidates insurance.

These LED retrofits by Osram & Philips for approved cars will not do that, no high horse needed. Next time you open your bonnet look at your headlight and you’ll see an E number. This is what Osram at least is designing their lights for and correct adaptors (not connectors).

But DVSA is so behind atm even these road legal LEDS in most other European cars for the same car is illegal to use in UK.

They’ve recently allowed motorbikes (2022 I think) to retrofit LEDs so it won’t be long until they do so for cars

On 28/10/2023 at 06:03, Jim K said:

I mean sure...this particular ban origin started with the Energy Independence and Security Act in 2007.  The Department of Energy followed Section 321 (source) of this Act which clearly spells out the exclusions.  So sure, I guess it could happen in another 16 years...ha.

Sooner than that, there's a  list of not-yet banned bulb types which are prime for regulatory picking, starting with grow lights. 

On 29/10/2023 at 22:15, DocM said:

Sooner than that, there's a  list of not-yet banned bulb types which are prime for regulatory picking, starting with grow lights. 

Were you one of the toilet paper hoarders during the COVID lockdown?

On 30/10/2023 at 00:15, DocM said:

uh huh.  Sure, that's on the Exclusion list within the Act...

EXCLUSIONS.—The term ‘general service
incandescent lamp’ does not include the following
incandescent lamps:
‘‘(I) An appliance lamp.
‘‘(II) A black light lamp.
‘‘(III) A bug lamp.
‘‘(IV) A colored lamp.
‘‘(V) An infrared lamp.
‘‘(VI) A left-hand thread lamp.
‘‘(VII) A marine lamp.
‘‘(VIII) A marine signal service lamp.
‘‘(IX) A mine service lamp.
‘‘(X) A plant light lamp.
‘‘(XI) A reflector lamp.
‘‘(XII) A rough service lamp.
‘‘(XIII) A shatter-resistant lamp (including a
shatter-proof lamp and a shatter-protected lamp).
‘‘(XIV) A sign service lamp.
‘‘(XV) A silver bowl lamp.
‘‘(XVI) A showcase lamp.
‘‘(XVII) A 3-way incandescent lamp.
‘‘(XVIII) A traffic signal lamp.
‘‘(XIX) A vibration service lamp.

/etc

...so my previous comments remain the same.  Did you also go out and bulk purchase grow lights?  What is Mr. DocM growing ....?  😉

• Haha 2

On 29/10/2023 at 03:11, Dan~ said:

And what you don’t get is these bulbs are designed, tested and approved to be retrofitted into halogen housings in Europe and for specific cars at the moment!!

It’s me who’s talking to a brick wall not you talking to one.

I don’t believe you understand how rigorous testing is in Europe and how rigorous the yearly car tests we have. lighting beam, colour, approved bulbs used & headlight washer system works.

An example say you bought a Tesla which was identical in Europe as it was in US, the US headlights are brighter because Tesla does not have a headlight washer system, so Tesla has to dim the headlights in order to sell the car in Europe. If they didn’t then the car will be banned, yet US where regulations not caught up yet can have the full potential of the headlights but can blind people because it doesn’t have a headlight washer system.

I’m sorry if this is difficult for you lot to comprehend, maybe you need to realise that’s America’s way isn’t the only way and not the best?

source.gif

On 28/10/2023 at 06:03, Jim K said:

I mean sure...this particular ban origin started with the Energy Independence and Security Act in 2007.  The Department of Energy followed Section 321 (source) of this Act which clearly spells out the exclusions.  So sure, I guess it could happen in another 16 years...ha.

It was supposed to in 2020 ... but you-know-who (he knows light bulbs better than anyone, he has the best light bulbs) rolled back the ban.

Should have known... Mr Cheeto McDouchebag would block anything and everything that's GOOD for humanity...  If someone came out with the cure to cancer, Trump would be like, FAKE NEWS, USE BLEACH INSTEAD!  KNOCKS IT OUT IN LESS THAN A SECOND!"  😛 

• Haha 1

I just replaced my 800 lumen 5000k leds in my living room (very bright, but also too sharp/harsh) with some 1600 lumen 2700k leds and they are significantly more pleasant on the eyes while retaining a similar perceived brightness level.

I had a 2700k 800 lumen led (60w incandescent replacement) in one of my end table lamps and while it was very cozy, it felt like it barely threw off any light. I'm very happy so far with the new 100w incandescent replacement leds.