Incandescent light bulbs now banned in the US per new energy efficiency rules

On 25/08/2023 at 19:49, Xenon said:

I had the same thing. It has to do with the quality of the bulb. I replaced them with higher quality bulbs and it doesn't do it anymore for me. Gotta admit thought, it made a great night light. 

What brand are you using?

Incandescent bulbs have been banned for sale in the UK for a few years.

but if anyone still wants them, they are so easy to buy online, Amazon, eBay and others still sell them.  Halogen bulbs are also banned for sale now, I use halogen in my reading light, hate LED for reading, so I got a load of bulbs for my light. I still have a load of Incandescent bulbs in a box, I use them these days for the downstairs loo as I have Philips hue around the rest of the house.

• Dislike 2

On 28/08/2023 at 22:34, ad47uk said:

but if anyone still wants them, they are so easy to buy online, Amazon, eBay and others still sell them.  Halogen bulbs are also banned for sale now, I use halogen in my reading light, hate LED for reading, so I got a load of bulbs for my light. I still have a load of Incandescent bulbs in a box, I use them these days for the downstairs loo as I have Philips hue around the rest of the house.

Dude… get your eyesight checked. 

• Like 4

On 29/08/2023 at 07:34, ad47uk said:

I used to be like you, LED bulbs and lights used to have a "cold" effect and didn't have the warm glow of a Incandescent bulb, but the tech has come very far in the last ten years. Philips Hue is also LED bro, which actually proves my point.

• Like 3

On 29/08/2023 at 07:32, FloatingFatMan said:

^ Ow... My eyes... Why such a huge font, dude?

I don't know, for some reason it just went that way and i could not do anything about it.

On 29/08/2023 at 09:41, Steven P. said:

I used to be like you, LED bulbs and lights used to have a "cold" effect and didn't have the warm glow of a Incandescent bulb, but the tech has come very far in the last ten years. Philips Hue is also LED bro, which actually proves my point.

I will use LED  for normal use, as said I have Philips Hue, but for my reading light it is Halogen. I find LED is not great for reading.

I wonder if this only applies to residential bulbs There are tons of valid reasons to use incandescent over LEDS for certain purposes such as traffic lights (the heat of the incandescent bulb melts snow and ice away from the lens far more efficiently than putting a heater on an LED based Traffic light), or in rural areas for road lights, an incandescent sodium lamp will send light farther due to the wavelength of yellow/orange light that it can produce for less energy than an LED at the same frequencies and brightness. (these are just anecdotal examples.)

Don't get me wrong, for MOST use cases an LED is going to be better than an incandescent or even a florescent bulb of the same brightness / colour.

• 1 month later...

Been using LED for most everything for several years,

• no problem using LEDs in work areas. 

• holiday & exterior lights are all LED

Except as noted below,

there have been issues....

• for enclosed fixtures you need to use bulbs rated for that use. Enclosed Fixture bulbs are more heat resistan.

• power outages which cause voltage transients (common in our area) can kill regular LEDs (if you're lucky the bulbs may last 2-3 weeks then start to flicker).  In my  experience, the Enclosed Fixture bulbs are  much more likely to survive these transients, so they also get used in most other locations. 

• don't even think about using LEDs inside of an oven. Yes, they make "Appliance"  LEDs - they work fine in the refrigerator & freezers, but have a reduced lifespan in an oven vs. incandescents. Annoying.  Stockpiled 40 watt Appliance bulbs. 

On 24/10/2023 at 16:06, DocM said:

Stockpiled 40 watt Appliance bulbs. 

LOL, why?  They aren't part of the ban.

On 29/08/2023 at 13:05, Geoffrey B. said:

I wonder if this only applies to residential bulbs There are tons of valid reasons to use incandescent over LEDS for certain purposes such as traffic lights (the heat of the incandescent bulb melts snow and ice away from the lens far more efficiently than putting a heater on an LED based Traffic light), or in rural areas for road lights, an incandescent sodium lamp will send light farther due to the wavelength of yellow/orange light that it can produce for less energy than an LED at the same frequencies and brightness. (these are just anecdotal examples.)

Don't get me wrong, for MOST use cases an LED is going to be better than an incandescent or even a florescent bulb of the same brightness / colour.

There are a lot of exemptions (traffic lights being one of them) ... see third page ....

https://www.energy.gov/sites/default/files/2022-05/GSL Backstop Enforcement Webinar May 4 2022.pdf

Not sure why this was turned into a political thing by politicians and media.  I fall on the right, by today's standards probably pretty far to the right, but I've been using LED bulbs for years and years.  Superior technology is superior.  I don't care what politicians have to say about it.  Daylight 5000k LEDs for me, love em.

On 24/10/2023 at 18:18, Jim K said:

LOL, why?  They aren't part of the ban.

They aren't part of thr incandescent ban yet. Give 'em a little more time and they will be. 

What’s odd in UK is they’re meant to be banned now (has to be under a certain wattage) , except for car lights which makes no sense especially when Osram (at least) sell road legal LED bulbs

Is it the same in US?

You’d think the majority of bulbs being binned these days will be car bulbs

On 26/10/2023 at 19:31, Dan~ said:

What’s odd in UK is they’re meant to be banned now, except for car lights which makes no sense especially when Osram (at least) sell road legal LED bulbs

Is it the same in US?

Most of the cars sold today in Canada are either LED or Xenon bulbs for headlights and strictly LED for tail lights

On 26/10/2023 at 16:31, Dan~ said:

What’s odd in UK is they’re meant to be banned now (has to be under a certain wattage) , except for car lights which makes no sense especially when Osram (at least) sell road legal LED bulbs

Is it the same in US?

You’d think the majority of bulbs being binned these days will be car bulbs

Putting leds in enclosures designed for halogen has a high probability of blinding others and actually having less useable light for the driver.  

On 27/10/2023 at 01:30, adrynalyne said:

Putting leds in enclosures designed for halogen has a high probability of blinding others and actually having less useable light for the driver.  

That’s not factually true, check out the Osram bulbs

On 27/10/2023 at 01:16, Dan~ said:

That’s not factually true, check out the Osram bulbs

Actually, the existence of Osram bulbs does not change what I said.

https://jalopnik.com/why-most-led-headlight-upgrades-dont-really-work-an-ex-1843070472

I can find many of these articles but here is one. 

Oh and https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/factually in case you wanted to brush up on the meaning of the word. Read what I said again: high probability.

On 27/10/2023 at 10:49, adrynalyne said:

Actually, the existence of Osram bulbs does not change what I said.

https://jalopnik.com/why-most-led-headlight-upgrades-dont-really-work-an-ex-1843070472

I can find many of these articles but here is one. 

Oh and https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/factually in case you wanted to brush up on the meaning of the word. Read what I said again: high probability.

Thank you for your sarcastic comment, hope you’re feeling better now

https://www.osram.com/ecat/NIGHT BREAKER H7-LED-LED lamps (street-legal)-Car lighting-Automotive/com/en/GPS01_3401765/

Street legal Osrams , others most likely are not and will blind.

If they are road legal there’s no probability of blinding

On 27/10/2023 at 07:14, Dan~ said:

Thank you for your sarcastic comment, hope you’re feeling better now

https://www.osram.com/ecat/NIGHT BREAKER H7-LED-LED lamps (street-legal)-Car lighting-Automotive/com/en/GPS01_3401765/

Street legal Osrams , others most likely are not and will blind.

If they are road legal there’s no probability of blinding

No sarcasm really, if you are going to say I am factually incorrect, I’m gonna call you out since I know better. 

We aren’t discussing legality and nothing of what you said changes what I did. You can believe what you like and whatever marketing Osram and the likes throws your way but if you do some research, you will find out otherwise. 

On 27/10/2023 at 15:35, adrynalyne said:

No sarcasm really, if you are going to say I am factually incorrect, I’m gonna call you out since I know better. 

We aren’t discussing legality and nothing of what you said changes what I did. You can believe what you like and whatever marketing Osram and the likes throws your way but if you do some research, you will find out otherwise. 

“I know better” haha sure 

On 27/10/2023 at 15:43, Som said:

this thread is proof that people will argue over anything

It is indeed, some people eh

On 27/10/2023 at 07:48, Dan~ said:

“I know better” haha sure 

Bruh, this isn’t a discussion. This is just you buying marketing BS from Osram and applying it to all situations by calling it fact. I don’t care what you believe, if you really wanted to learn for yourself you would do the research. 

You can have the last word, I’ve plenty of other things to do than argue with those that buy marketing and call it fact. 

On 27/10/2023 at 15:51, adrynalyne said:

Bruh, this isn’t a discussion. This is just you buying marketing BS from Osram and applying it to all situations by calling it fact. I don’t care what you believe, if you really wanted to learn for yourself you would do the research. 

You can have the last word, I’ve plenty of other things to do than argue with those that buy marketing and call it fact. 

So hang on, these Osram bulbs which have been approved to be road legal is just marketing, is that what you’re saying?

Just visit https://osram.com/nb-led and you’ll see you’re wrong, not that you’d admit it...

As @adrynalyne stated, they're only road-legal if used in the correct housing, eg. projector style housing.  Not only can you damage the electrical system in your car using bulbs that it wasn't designed to use, you can also damage the housing.

Same applies to Halogen and Xenon bulbs too.

• Like 2

On 27/10/2023 at 16:52, Matthew S. said:

As @adrynalyne stated, they're only road-legal if used in the correct housing, eg. projector style housing.  Not only can you damage the electrical system in your car using bulbs that it wasn't designed to use, you can also damage the housing.

Same applies to Halogen and Xenon bulbs too.

Wrong! The Osram’s are fine, not all cars yet but it doesn’t matter if it’s projector or reflector

On 27/10/2023 at 09:03, Dan~ said:

Wrong! The Osram’s are fine, not all cars yet but it doesn’t matter if it’s projector or reflector

It doesn't work like that, even though marketing loves that you believe it. 

Regardless, I was never discussing legality to begin with, that was something you threw in later.

Not to mention, DoT and (whatever is used in Europe and other areas) differs from one place to the next. What is ADOT approved for example (Arizona Department of Transportation) is not the same for whatever California's equivalent.