Warning Levels

I personally view the warning bar as a very good idea. I expect it will cause some members to think twice before making a post that they know is against the rules when they will be able to see the warning they recieve for it everytime they post. Many people view a private message as a slap on the wrist. They keep their account, and may even lose posting priviledges for 24 hours, but then are right back at it. Some go as far as to create a new account after they've ****ed too many people off.

The one suggestion that I would like to make regarding the warning system would be some form of merit system that causes the warning meter to go down, or possible to change to a green merit meter when you've been helpful to other members of the board, etc.

Well said (Y)

The warning bar is there to remind you of what you have done in the past, to learn from it and essentially become an even better member here at Neowin.

So what if you have been warned, no-one is perfect here at Neowin. We downgrade warnings if we are at fault or there is a mistake altogether depending on the specific situation - other than that, they stay.

I honestly don't see what is all the fuss about people being annoyed that they have recieved some warnings in the past and can now see them - deal with it.

Neowin is not your "run-of-the-mill" tech website, we are unique and this change show that.

xStainDx - I'll ask the Admins if it is possible to implement it into the User CP, but don't hold me to that.

Radish?

I see where you are coming from dude,

But it still sucks that it is rubbed in my face constantly, some mistake I made before I even had 50 posts here..... now here I am at post 500 posts and it's gonna haunt me till the end of my days/this forum.

'sides, even if I disagreed with the warning that was placed on my account all those months ago, it is too late to question it now as past events have been deleted/lost in the last database error.

Maybe a system where you lose a warning for every 3 months you go without warning...

Just not a permanent record.....that just sucks.

I'm all for reminding people of mistakes when they're new. In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. If neowin is your first experience with an online community (forums, usenet, irc, etc) then it serves as a reminder that certain communities will hold you accountable for your actions, that learning and reading the rules of a community is important, and that reading the AUP/FAQ is not optional. When they move on to other places where they'll be interacting with people they'll already have a firm grasp of what sort of behavior is expected online.

If neowin isn't your first forum then there is NO excuse for not reading and understanding all the rules: if you didn't learn how to act somewhere else, you can be damn sure the moderators here will make it clear pretty fast.

as for the idea of an "anti-warning" scale for 'good posts'... meh. The only opinions that mean squat to me around here are the regular/long standing members (and even then, you're still just a name on a website). By the time I've earned myself a 'good' reputation they'll already know who I am, how I post, and what I think and won't need a little green bar to remind them.

Random Q newbie isn't going to care that I have a +100% rating (or whatever), johny X flamebait won't care either. People who dislike me won't care, and people who do like/respect me are going to make that decision from the text of my posts so in my opinion a good-karma, anti-warning, or good-guy meter really isn't necessary.

Ok, I changed it so that you can now watch your warn level on your profile page. So it's no longer visible with each post you make

Ok, I changed it so that you can now watch your warn level on your profile page. So it's no longer visible with each post you make

(Y)

Thank you very much.

Kinda cool to know that the mods will listen to the minority sometimes.......God bless Neowin :cry:

Kinda cool to know that the mods will listen to the minority sometimes.......God bless Neowin :cry:

Yea. Ain't it awesome? :D :laugh:

I was wondering if other neowinians thought that neowin should maybe like drop -5 warning percent like every 2 weeks or something. Because if your here longer your most likely got a higher warning level. Vote and tell us why

It really depends on how active you are on neowin as well. For example, you can mess up big time by being a pain in the ass and being rude and stuff.. then you go on a holiday or something or you don't visit neowin for a while and your warning level drops, that's just not fair.

Ooo.. Everyone who votes yes will get a warning added to them... :shifty:

j/k... The warning level is there for a reason, and most people won't get it too high. Altho we do all have bad days.

I also liked it at the bottom of my posts, but we shouldn't really care. Redmak, it is always to please everyone but I think it was wise to move it to the profile. Only the people who wanna see it will see it and it takes away another graphics load for the 56k members. :p

-Couch Potato?

Awww.. I liked it on the bottom of my posts :(

Edit: Found a bug. If you click your percentage, this comes up.. weird :/ .    :o Clicky Me! :p

That is not a bug, you just don't have enough access to view the staff notes.

My warn level is not showing anymore. It used to until a few minutes ago.

edit: sorry I haven't been following this thread much it doesn't display under my posts now but its in my member profile like it says in previous posts

i think something needs to be explained once more..

the warn bar isn't just a faceless 60% or whatever. when you're warned, an explanation is associated with it and the date is entered. Because it reads 60% doesnt automatically mean you're at a 60% on the ****list forever. Yes it doesn't decrease, but personally I look at past warnings and their dates to determine my next steps. If you're at 40% and you were warned twice over a year ago for flaming, I take that into account that you've been obeying the rules that whole time until now, so you might just get a PM from me asking to cool it.

Just because you're at 60% doesn't mean you have 2 more strike outs and you're outta here. A person at any stage in the warn system can be restricted from posting or banned if what they've done is bad enough. All the warning is meant to be is for mods to be able to look back at your track record so we can make a good decision on how we should mod future infractions. Its also a helpful reminder to you so that maybe you'll watch what you post going forward.

Its not something to fear or get upset about. Honestly. It's been in place for a long long time, and anyone who sees that they've already got a percentage higher than 0 just means that you've been warned at some point in the past months.

I hope that helps clear up some concern.

What is this warning percent thing?

I had it earlier today but its gone now...

The warning level is now only in your member profile

I think it should go down because everyone makes a few mistakes