P4 1.8GHz or AMD Athlon XP And Why?

yeah, he is right.

AMD is better than INTEL.

I have a notebook and that's why i have pentium III-M processor, but when I buy a PC, it's going to be an AMD for sure.

These XXXX XP+ processors rule over P4 big time.

Nah.. these so-called "benchmarks".. sad really, they compare DDR systems on both P4 and AMD. You want more power, hit up a P4 system with some RDRAM.. Im afraid no AMD could beat my other machine, a P4 2.2 Ghz with 1 gig of RDRAM =)

Then again, if you want a DDR-based system get an AMD, if you want a Rambus-based system, definately get an Intel. Just remember, DDR bandwidth = squat

yeah.. AMD all the way for me too. I've always rathered AMD since the Athlon came out and nobody could have ever changed my mind about that. I don't care what people say about AMD being hotter and or just a phase... AMD is here to stay and they'll be getting all my hard earned money when VIA release their KT333A chipset and AMD reaches up to a 2.0Ghz CPU.

/edit

That rambus is only power for Multimedia applications and nothing for normal apps.

Save some money and go for the AMD.

Nah.. these so-called "benchmarks"..

You have to watch the Intel guys. They claim that all of the benchmarks are lies. Just watch, next one of them will brag that the Intel doesn't even need a fan and the AMD will catch fire. If you mount your heatsink correctly you'll never have to worry about it.

lets take this scenario... dont XP processors only take DDR RAM? meanwhile the P4 takes SDRAM, DDR, RDRAM.. but correct me if Im wrong. Anyhow, as well as the mobos for an Intel support a broader range of processors.. anywhere from a 1.4 GHz up to a 2.2 GHz.. thats quite the expandability aint it?

..and yes, not here to start anything :)

I am using an ASUS A7A266 mobo which can take anything from the slowest Duron to the fastest Athlon XP and can take either PC133 or DDR RAM. For a guy that wanted to upgrade his box a piece at a time that is expandability.

I'm not trying to pick on anybody either. I'm not a "fan boy." When it came time for me to make my recomendations for the 2002 capital budget at my company I did my research. AMD beat the Pentium 4 (not including the brand new one that wasn't out at the time) in all of the tests except the Quake III test. I am saving $400 on each workstation and getting a better box.

my athlon XP 1700+ comes today :) wohoo,

Upgrading from my amd 800mhz thingy,

as it says on the NVIDIA website,

FERIOCIOUS POWER. or summit

I Love AMD

Also.. I read (not sure) That the DDR333 board can be outperformed by a DDR266(A?) board.

Which doesn't make sense to me.

If you want a cheap, fast system get an Athlon XP. Athlons aren't as reliable as Pentiums because of heat issues and buggy chipsets(especially Via based chipsets). If AMD could only shake thier heat problems and start making more of thier own chipsets(instead of relying on 3rd party chipset makers) then the Athlon would be the ultimate platform.

If you want excellent reliability, great speed and a piece of mind that your CPU will never fry get an Intel Pentium 4 Northwood. It will cost you extra money, but you really can't put a price tag on quality. AMD fanboys will claim that thier Athlons totally smoke Pentium 4's(An Athlon will smoke if something happens to the cooling..like maybe the fan on the HSF going out ;P), but in reality a Pentium 4 Northwood and AMD Athlon XP are close in performance(The P4 is faster in some stuff vice versa). In the future when more app/game developers implement SSE2 support(or even when Nvidia, ATI, etc. implement SSE2 support into thier drivers) the Pentium 4 will totally destroy Athlons. As a matter of fact, I think that DX9 is going to support SSE2(I'm not sure about this though).

I own both an Athlon XP system and a P4 system and if I were to ever get rid of one of them it would be the Athlon system because I have problem after problem with the damned Via chipset it sits on and I get fed up with the room the Athlon system sits in getting hot because the system acts like a space heater(it blows warm air out of the blow holes at all times when on).

I will add one more thing. If you go with a Pentium 4 you are best off going with a mobo that has the I850 chipset. It is a fast and stable chipset. Do not get a mobo with the crap called the Via P4X266 chipset, and it is also a good idea to avoid SiS chipsets(even though SiS chipsets aren't very buggy). The P4 on the I850 chipset is the king of stability. If you do go with a P4 setup on any Intel chipset, make sure that you download and install the Intel Application Accelerator after you install your OS and chipset drivers because it makes a world of difference in performance for the P4 because it enables the P4 data pre-fetcher(You do not get this luxury with non-Intel chipsets).

If you want excellent reliability, great speed and a piece of mind that your CPU will never fry get an Intel Pentium 4 Northwood.

LMAO.... you've got the Intel logo as your avatar and you're telling people to go with AMD. Ever so slightly biased me thinks.

Gamers use AMD Athlon XP for a reason.... businesses use Intel for CAD, etc, for a reason.

LMAO, you don't even explain yourself. Please don't post in question threads unless you actually have something useful/helpful to say. As for the avatar, it says Intel Pentium 5. We all know there is no such thing as a Pentium 5(yet).

Take your spam.gif somewhere else. ;)

As a user who has both chips (as in my signature), the AthlonXP chips are a hell of a lot faster compared to P4's. I even tested both systems with the same amount of RAM, and my AthlonXP 1800+ was extremely faster than my P4-2GHz.

Go for AthlonXP - they're cheaper and more powerful, and requires a smaller hs/fan.

if you want power and you want to save some money go for amd. athlon xp rockzz.

the money you save buying an amd processor you then can use for othe things: more ram, more blablablalbsaaa

so this is my point: AMD ATHLON XP:D

Athlons aren't as reliable as Pentiums because of heat issues and buggy chipsets(especially Via based chipsets).

I don't understand what you guys are doing wrong. I've built at least 100 Athlon workstations (most of them for CAD technicians) and I haven't have any trouble with them.

Originally posted by mortensen  

Gamers use AMD Athlon XP for a reason.... businesses use Intel for CAD, etc, for a reason.

I'm a gamer.. I dont use AMD.. along with many, many others.. get the facts straight ;)

hey listen its plain and simple

Intel is AMD's Biatch

read the reveiws

read toms hardware

see the benchmarks

even the AMD XP2000 which runs at 1.67ghz, doesnt beat i must admit but keeps up with the 2.2ghz intel northwood and its 530mhz slower theoretically it shouldnt be anywhere near it on the benchmark scored

as for heatsinks and AMD's blowing up..... well thats pure crap coz i have my cpu running now at 35c with no watercooling just normal fans and stuff

take a look at the pros, the overclockers, the people with real real fast comps they all have an AMD

Once AMD goes down to 0.13Micron then i doubt intel would be in the same league as the AMD 0.18 micron keeps up with intels latest technology

Originally posted by irdawood  

hey listen its plain and simple  

Intel is AMD's Biatch......

so according to the rest isn't Intel the biatch then? If the the smaller one is in control and that's the funny part!

People keep comparing AMD's lastest to Intel's latest which goes to show you how bad Intel is right now. They don't compare the AMD XP 2000+ (1.67Ghz) to the Intel 1.6Ghz or even 1.7ghz! It's all the way up to 2.2Ghz cuz even the Intel owners on this board know that pound for pound AMD stomps over Intels when they are at the same GHz. The 1.6Ghz AMD makes the 1.6Ghz P4 look like a P3 at 800Mhz! Now what kinda battle is that when you put something that's 2-times better than the other one but the inferior one still keeps up even though it looses... come on intel people... admit it!!! AMD is a good chip that's why there's a discussion... i dont' see nobody comparing the VIA C3 chipset in all of this and that's just cuz it's not as good as the other 2.

As irdawood said, The Intel 2.2ghz uses .13 micron manufacturing process and the AMD uses .18. The Intel is better technology but the old ass AMDs still keep up to Intels new stuff.. should the new stuff blow the old ones out the water? As in the case of the nVidia chipsets?

Just something to think about...