P4 1.8GHz or AMD Athlon XP And Why?

like shotta35 said u cannot compare a 1.5ghz amd and a intel 1.5ghz

Intel is such a big Con its not better then AMD its not even close to the AMD

and if u think im lieing then show me one benchmark from someone who is reputable that says a same ghz AMD XP CPU is slower then an Intel Cpu which is in the same class

coz **** can u compare intel with AMD and expect Intel to win

This may not be related but it seems common and I've noticed..

People who brag about AMD usually can't spell worth a damn, or even use a correct sentence. How funny. Does that mean the AMD fan boys have less integrity? HaHa.. like I said, seems like a common thing among them..

And no, I don't think your lil' 1.4-whatever GHz AMD machine can keep up with an Intel 2.2 GHz slapped together with some RDRAM.. especially the new PC1066 and such speeds coming..

Not everyone who is an "AMD fan boy" has problems with spelling and grammar. One thing to note is that they are not comparing the 1.4 GHz AMD to the 2.2 GHz P4. They ARE comparing the 1.67 GHz AMD to the 2.2 GHz P4 system, and if you compare the systems the benchmarks are almost tied for them.

The only thing RAMBUS does is increase your memory bandwidth and cost of the system. The real world benefits have not been shown just yet. I say "yet" because once the P4 gets to around 3GHz it is believed RAMBUS will show the performance they claimed years ago. But by then, their market penetration will be so small that DDR & DDR2 will be the main memory systems used.

Now, you yourself just said you were going to compare a 1.4 GHz AMD to a 2.2 GHz P4. 800 MHz difference for comparison to say that your Intel will beat an AMD. Why didn't you say that the 1.4 GHz Intel would beat the 1.4 GHz AMD? "Hey man, my Porsche is going to totally kick your Yugo's ass!" That is the phrase that comes to mind when you have such a large horsepower difference.

I would like to see the enlightenment of how the 1.4 P4 beats the 1.4 AMD. Please demonstrate with solid facts.

well.. yeah.. that too.. so just go with what your friends tell you... all of us could be working for AMD and trying to get sales but who knows .... :) (yea right) :)

People who brag about AMD usually can't spell worth a damn, or even use a correct sentence.

I knew it would come to this. Now that all of the Intel talking points have been worn out all that's left is to attack people's grammar.

Originally posted by mtgriffith  

I knew it would come to this. Now that all of the Intel talking points have been worn out all that's left is to attack people's grammar.

..and then you have people who cannot drop it after awhile. :p

Originally posted by TDQuiksilver  

LoL.. boy, its amazing how uptight you people get over a discussion.. as I said before, it all comes down to personal preference, let it rest already.

TDQuiksilver you're the one who keeps coming back trying to protect Intel. Just give up already!

I don't know about you guys, but I'm sticking with my good ol' P3 until all this CPU controversy settles. I just hope it settles soon so I don't end up with a comp that hasn't been upgraded in 20 years :p

As it stands now I'd probably go with an AMD, but my next planned upgrade is a little while off.

My system as it currently stands---

Windows XP Home

P]|[ 850 MHz

512 MB SDRAM

40 GB Maxtor ATA100

20 GB Maxtor ATA100

Geforce2 GTS Pro 64MB

Iomega Zip250 Internal

Plextor 12X10X32 burner w/ BURN-PROOF

All in a case that originally held a Gateway2000 P5-200

(Buying that was a HUGE mistake)

Im an AMD fan and personally I would say buy an Athlon XP.

But seeing I also run a business selling PC's here is my other view.

If you want something cheap, and usefull for most applications (use of computer not programs) like gaming, video editng, personal computer etc... buy the Athlon.

BUT.

If you only want a computer JUST for Digital Video or Sound editing/production I would highly reccomend the Pentium 4.

Even thou the Athlon could do editing/production, the Pentium 4 is optimised in hat area and therfore you best choice. Otherwise get an AMD.

when you meet an AMD fan the first thing that is quick to run out of their mouth is how much it 'outperforms' a pentium 4 in 'benchmarks' which is a program that none of them made.

which does cpu intensive **** that nobody would ever care about in everyday computing, who will do half the **** the benchmarks put your cpu through for more than 2 minutes then sit there going yeahhhh my amd smoked your p4 by 2 seconds!!!!!!! yeahhh mann amd forever yeahh

but yet their computer a. sounds like a space shuttle, b. eats up more electricity than a home theater. c. could heat an entire stadium from its overheating.

speak from experience and performance wise rather than what some program tells you because that is the only defense amd fan boys have against anybody who prefers quality over benchmark speed.

i dont agree freeza

customers at our place..........

all the pros the guys who know what they want, the overclockers buy the AMD

the guys who really dont have a ****ing clue and need to be guided buy Intel coz of their mass add campaign

and also when u are running a system where every second counts the AMD beats it by 20 seconds on video editing that it does for 24 hours a day all the seconds add up and thus AMD is better

freeza has a great point. The difference in the benchmarks are nothing. You can't tell a difference by just using normal programs. 20 seconds? Holy cow!! Thats just rediculous. If the difference was minutes, I would buy that. but who cares about 20 seconds. As if an AMD doing constant video editing wouldn't overheat first. Intel can handle the constant load, but the amd will overheat.

Who knows how long amd will be around. They can't keep selling processors at the price they are selling them. amd doesn't have the cash on hand that intel does. Eventually they will have to either raise prices or go out of business. Why do you think Dell and Gateway don't sell amd? Your classic amd fanboy will say "OOOH. Intel pressured them into it!!!" yah right. If you think that, I don't want you using intel. Stick with the crappy amd

Exactly what I was going to get around to. Wow.. a whole 2 seconds faster on an AMD.. big friggin' deal.. once again.. personal preference. No need to keep this age-old argument running y'know? Well put Freeza.

Let me add one more thing. If AMD is being bought by "all these overclockers, gamers, etc.".. you'd think that would be a big load, adding up to a very big load of income, therefore boosting AMD's ad campaign. Apparently not...

anyone who has ever had a processor overheat shouldn't be near a PC cuz they are dumb. And with constant video editing it would overheat? Where do you people get this stuff.... yikes...

i know that system must kick ass but what kinda video editing to you do... i wanted to know the times it takes to encode a movie and all that in divx! :)

just my thoughts

all you peple that b*tch about amd's overheating like a btch YOUR ALL WRONG

i'm 14.. yeah tunred 14 on feb5th and even i can assemble computers.. i have assembled 8computers in the last two months for my family and they are all AMD XP's.. all powerrigs btw also

heres my rig.. EVERything here is stock also

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ dual

Tyan TIger Mp

Some that Thermal take premium cooling

soundblaster audigy x-gamer

geforce3 regular

dual 80gig maxtoors

a burner and a dvd

oh and a gig of DDR ecc ram heh

i use this ssytem very roughly and it runs about 38 and 36 degrees centigrade.. or celsius.. can't remember what C stands for n e more

its PERFECTly fine.. it never crashes.. unless i run a stupid app designed for win9x on winxp..thats another story

benchmarks.. yeah an amd will win.. in real world it wins..

my friend was gonna get a 2.4ghz intel till he met me.. now he wants a 2000+..

the system don't make noise like a space shuttle.. i have a Lian Li PC7 case.. got plenty fans and little noise.. i can sleep with it on..

that "eating up more electiricy" thing i doni't care about cuz i'm in houston and that home theather part is wrong.. try a small theather cuz in the office/dads room we have a theather and trust me. nothing can eat that much electricty unless its a AMC24 or sumtin

i can't heat a stadium..

AMD DO NOT i repeat DO NOT catch on fire or crap if ur carefull.. careful meaning u act normal.. my sisters cpu.. i actidnetly broke a coupla blades and the thing got to 179degrees Farienhiet. (different mobo) and it dind't blow up..

thats some real life experiances..

also i have one little quiestoin.. why do they have to benchmark 1800+XP vs 2ghz Intels? can't they do 1800+ VS 1.8ghz..

RDram don't make all that difference.. my cousin has a 1.7ghz and my sisters comptuer whoops it.. my cousins is a dell.. that might be why.. it has 512mb RD ram..

sister has a 1600+xp with 1024mb ram..SDram

Actually, I have built three of these systems. I work for an engineering company. The architectural department uses them. One is for video editing. It is built on a Tyan Tiger mobo. It has (for now) 1 GB RAM, Pinnacle Pro One video editing card, Elsa Gloria DCC, DVD Writer, and two 36 GB Ultra 160 SCSI drives. The other two are used for 3D rendering. They don't have Pinnacle cards and instead of the Elsa they have a 3D Labs Wildcat 5110.

I decided to go with the AMD processors because they showed to be better for 3D in the benchmarks.

Who said Athlons were just for gaming?

I really don't know why we are having this conversation.

1) Any AMD or INTEL system over 1 GHZ will run at a reasonable pace. It is only wierdos that live in their basements and wear trenchcoats and who cool with liquid nitrogen who really care whether MS Word opens up .000006 ms faster.

2) Buy what you want. You can't really brag to your friends because guess what - it wasn't YOU who made the goddamned chip, so don't pretend like you did.

3) Intel is not "big brother" and is not evil, they are just trying to make money.

4) AMD is not David (and intel goliath) , they are just trying to make money too.

5) Anyone who buys into the idea that you need the fastest CPU on the block in order to fit in with your nerd-boy friends really needs to gain perspective.

6) Again, buy what you want they are both good products. If anyone says "mine is faster your's sucks" just tell them to get a life and go back to having fun, which is what this should be all about anyways.

7) Also, if you really think AMD is faster or Intel is faster - IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER, because if you think about it, if speed mattered that much we would all be using MACS.

Craig