Windows XP Service Pack 2 Technical Preview

anyone having trouble downloading stuff AFTER installing SP2? When trying to download files they stop at varying amounts and just sit there...files downloaded from all different sites.

would anyone mind listing a few mirrors?

whats wrong with the microsoft download.. after a bout 5 minutes of slow speed (not really that slow @ 121 kB/s) i got 300 kB/s..

Umm... For the life of me, I can't get that uxtheme.dll to copy over the one in the system32 folder. I booted into Safe Mode and everything. What am I doing wrong?

Rename the file it would let u copy over it or delete it, boot in safe mode with command and change to system32 folder then type ren uxtheme.dll uxtheme.bak after that copy the new dll into the folder.

,Mar 19 2004, 23:40] lol you guys just download from the microsoft site :rolleyes:

well I would if the ****ing download didn't stop after 5 minutes of downloading

hmm that time i got to a whole 183kb before the dl stopped...and notice the speed of a whooping 5.50kb/s while i'm on a 3.3mbps cable connection

post-8-1079758907.jpg

It works swell. Just the pop up thing is "tight" compared to a tool bar. It does have a mind of it's own.

I went to GRC com. McAfee Firewall Plus is better and SP2 loves it. It will yell at you balloon hell if you don't have an updated approved AV and FW combo. If you don't so YES to auto updates (and you will get some) a hand comes out and grabs your game software and destroys it.

Outside of that, works fine.

------Rich

command and change to system32 folder then type ren uxtheme.dll uxtheme.bak after that copy the new dll into the folder.

Nice! Thanks! I didn't even have to go into Safe Mode...

,Mar 20 2004, 14:58] whats wrong with the microsoft download.. after a bout 5 minutes of slow speed (not really that slow @ 121 kB/s) i got 300 kB/s..

I suppose the thing thats wrong with MS's server is the fact that I have been downloading for about 6 hours now, what it does, is it downloads at 54K/sec for 5 min bursts and usally sites for 10-20mins doing nothing. Its slow and painfull :wacko:

I suppose the thing thats wrong with MS's server is the fact that I have been downloading for about 6 hours now, what it does, is it downloads at 54K/sec for 5 min bursts and usally sites for 10-20mins doing nothing. Its slow and painfull :wacko:

;) Got mine in 10 min.

Up and running now.

It works swell. Just the pop up thing is "tight" compared to a tool bar. It does have a mind of it's own.

I went to GRC com. McAfee Firewall Plus is better and SP2 loves it. It will yell at you balloon hell if you don't have an updated approved AV and FW combo. If you don't so YES to auto updates (and you will get some) a hand comes out and grabs your game software and destroys it.

Outside of that, works fine.

------Rich

You can't even set the allowed ports on applications in McAfee right? You can either trust an app completly or block it completly. This is wierd imo. I tried if before and it's farily easy to work, but the lack of port control was disturbing.

I only want my FTP client to do outbound port 21, nothing else. But that wasn't possible in McAfee fireall :(

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but the status bar dissapears on IE startup. You can't see that status of the page that is loading.

It appears once it has loaded though, and no problems after that.

WOW :)

nice... microsoft learned their lessons... finally we got a german SP2... never thought of something like that ^^ nice microsoft, thats great ! :wub:

btw: i'm downloading with ultra broadband ISDN 7.6k :(

post-8-1079772801.jpg

:blush: ;)

Yes, I know but all french are not stupid ! A large majority, yes, but not all ! I'm pro-american because I have the shame to be french, I can't make other thing. Maybe quit france to USA. :rolleyes:

Yes, I know but all french are not stupid ! A large majority, yes, but not all ! I'm pro-american because I have the shame to be french, I can't make other thing. Maybe quit france to USA. :rolleyes:

" large majority, yes,"

What a reaction! if you are ashame of your country leave it!

I'm not anti-american but i'm anti-anti-counrty

Anyway thanks for the link

WOW :)

nice... microsoft learned their lessons... finally we got a german SP2... never thought of something like that ^^ nice microsoft, thats great ! :wub:

btw: i'm downloading with ultra broadband ISDN 7.6k :(

And, does that mean that the Germanians (My prof will kick me in the A** to see this :p ) has chosen MS for their victim one time :whistle: ?

"A large majority [...]"

It seems that you are in this "large" majority :whistle: .

Well, Installed it, works great but very slow to boot up for each account on my computer after installing but now it's perfect. It does'nt recognize my Virus Scanner which is nod32. Other than that it's working smoothly.

Question about Final SP2. I will do a fresh install when the time comes but wondering, would you have to install SP1 first then SP2 ?

cheers

2.5mb/sec for me, salford uni connection is VERY fast, burn it onto cd and install it on my computer in my room.

time to remove the beta version of sp2, the one before 2082.

273mb is better than the 340mb the last sp2 build i had !!!

cant wait till final, then i will get the corporate sp2 integrated and create myself an unattended xp installation and remove some of the **** like msn explorer and windows messenger and get it to install msn 6.1 by default or 6.2 when its out in a month !!!

Hi Boys

I have Windows XP Pro with SP-2 v.2082, then I donloaded(GRR) the new version RC1 273MB after several times finnally I have it, and now: I need uninstall first the version 2082 and after install the new version 2096...or I install the new version overriding the old 2082????.

Please Iam crazy....

thanks for