Windows XP Service Pack 2 Technical Preview

Hi Boys

I have Windows XP Pro with SP-2 v.2082, then I donloaded(GRR) the new version RC1 273MB after several times finnally I have it, and now: I need uninstall first the version 2082 and after install the new version 2096...or I install the new version overriding the old 2082????.

Please Iam crazy....

thanks for

You need to uninstall the older version first :)

so is there any point in getting this update, or is it just for people who don't know what a safe computer is?

Firewalls are not invincible, and many trojans can still bypass them...

so is there any point in getting this update, or is it just for people who don't know what a safe computer is?

Firewalls are not invincible, and many trojans can still bypass them...

there is a lot about this update

IE popup blocking (i seldom use IE but at least its native pop up blocking now)

firewall <- very useful

better AV integration

a much MUCH easier wireless panel. It sets up networks much faster

I see much improvement in this release

oh and did i say its all bugfixed and fast ;)

I'm having a huge problem with it. I installed it last night and now I cant get my system to boot. Everytime I boot, I get multiple errors from SVCHOST crashing, then an autorestart message with a 1 minute timer because RPC crashed. Im trying to get enough time to turn off the autorestart under System->Advanced->Startup&Shutdown... but no go so far, anyone else encountering this problem?

Edited by gideonidoru

All you people are excited over this !!!

the only reason i installed it was for Concurrent connections.

Concurrent Connections has been disabled people.

looks like i'll never be installing SP2... all that for a firewall.... for newbies its a good thing i guess

does anyone realize that Microsofts firewall is probably the worst firwall of all time. At last check, every conceivable attack seemed to get through it.

Mike

lol, one thing i did notice about the firewall is that it didn't have a port range feature.. you have to open each port one port at a time.. lmao..

All you people are excited over this !!!

the only reason i installed it was for Concurrent connections.

Concurrent Connections has been disabled people.

looks like i'll never be installing SP2... all that for a firewall....  for newbies its a good thing i guess

:rofl:

Might as well not install any patches next time you reinstall either. Seriously though, have you not even read what improvements there are?

does anyone realize that Microsofts firewall is probably the worst firwall of all time.  At last check, every conceivable attack seemed to get through it.

Mike

Blaster was blocked AFAIK, among others. Outgoing protection is where it's non-existant.

well it does ask if you want to let the program do outgoing or incoming but then in the panel there are know outgoing options so yeah i agree with ya there.

:rofl:

Might as well not install any patches next time you reinstall either. Seriously though, have you not even read what improvements there are?

Blaster was blocked AFAIK, among others. Outgoing protection is where it's non-existant.

Well this is no longer an issue as the WINDOWS FIREWALL (SP2)is a 2way firewall.

Internet Connection Firewall (< SP2) was an incoming only firewall.

Got the autorestart 'feature' turned off, but still gives me the 1 minute timebomb, and forces the restart. Anyone have any suggestions?

You can cancel the automatic shutdown by going to start > run and typing in shutdown -a whenever it tries to bomb you.

if I install this sp2 technical, will sp2 final be able to install over this?

There is a trick to this. Notice that during install that NOT backing up is greyed out. If you have a second partition or HD click on browse and "back up on D: whatever drive you use" it then blows away SP1 and "backs up" but then you cannot uninstall. But it took no more space by me doing that whacky install then SP1 and hotfixes did at all.

Besides MS hides the backup files anyhow check it out next time you scan for viruses.

----Rich

I can't go back I don't know how it works LOL.

You can't even set the allowed ports on applications in McAfee right? You can either trust an app completly or block it completly. This is wierd imo. I tried if before and it's farily easy to work, but the lack of port control was disturbing.

I only want my FTP client to do outbound port 21, nothing else. But that wasn't possible in McAfee fireall :(

Want weird? MS supplied the ZA Plus I am using with their free give away for a year software....rumor has it the free av/fw by Ca. Associates will be renewable for only 9.99/yr. But that is weird indeed!!

---Rich

I have no sound after installing Windows XP SP2. My mic doesn't work either, though I guess they go hand in hand. Anyone know how to fix this? I don't have a great sound card, just one built into the motherboard. It's an ASUS K7V. I do have the older Diamond Monster Sound MX300, but I wasn't sure if there were XP drivers for it or not. Last time I checked, there wasn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I was loving SP2 til I found out I had no sound.

Ok, now my sound is working after a reboot. It must've been some weird occurence. It like froze up on me. My microphone still isn't working. Anyone have any ideas why? Is there like a new microphone driver I can download somewhere? Thanks in advance!

There is a trick to this. Notice that during install that NOT backing up is greyed out. If you have a second partition or HD click on browse and "back up on D: whatever drive you use" it then blows away SP1 and "backs up" but then you cannot uninstall. But it took no more space by me doing that whacky install then SP1 and hotfixes did at all.

Besides MS hides the backup files anyhow check it out next time you scan for viruses.

----Rich

I can't go back I don't know how it works LOL.

The whole purpose of forcing the ARCHIVE during install is so that you can uninstall it.

You'll see a listing in ADD/REMOVE Programs "Windows XP Service Pack 2" that is where you UNINSTALL IT.

not exactly.

redist got all the files in the pack,,u dont have to download

The Network Install Includes ALL the files. Thats why its 237MB

The Web Install scans for what you need and then installs it!

SO EXACTLY!

Has anyone managed to activate the microsoft bluetooth files? i couldnt get it going with my usb dongle, had to use the ones off the dongle disk. However, i cant send files from phone > pc, although it works fine the other way. Im guessing this is some sort of 'security' feature not letting anything onto the pc...