Ikea founder overtakes Gates as Richest Man

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Ingvar Kamprad, the Swede who founded furniture retail chain IKEA, has overtaken Microsoft's Bill Gates as the world's richest man, Swedish TV news reported on Sunday.

Citing next week's edition of the Swedish business weekly Veckans Affarer, public service SVT2 television said Kamprad, 77, has a personal fortune of 400 billion crowns ($53 billion).

Gates's fortune is put at $47 billion, according to the latest list of the world's rich in U.S. Forbes magazine, SVT2 said.

Kamprad, known for frugal habits such as flying economy class, lives in Switzerland and no longer takes part in the daily running of IKEA, but has kept ownership of the company with more than 180 stores in over 30 countries in the family.

SVT2 said the dollar's slide against other currencies is the main reason why Kamprad has now overtaken Gates.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/040404/137/2cdva.html

OrangeSoul

Sure do. There's one outside Pittsburgh, PA that I know of. I know there are more as well. Not extremely common, but around.

Cheap, particle board furniture... Windows... I see similarities here!

The store near Pittsburgh is in Robinson. I've been there a couple times. My uncle works there, so we occasionally get awesome discounts on furniture. Chairs for $5 a piece, $10 for 4 bunk bed frames, gigantic veneer tables for $25. Through this arrangement, I somehow ended up with 2 halogen lamps and a really ugly couch. It's completely foam-rubber upholstered with a very bright floral pattern. Ehh.. It was free. :pinch:

Edited by silversky

Well I don't see him giving away billions of dollars.

Exactly, gates gives away a lot money in charity.

Ikea is for people who go for the Perfection, Cleanliness and BASIC look. Its not for people who like Lavish lifestyles or people with hardly any money. Its for the Middle Class family

...and why would anybody want a scandinavian desk? a person can steal software, as a person can steal furniture. A person could obtain the patterns for a desk and distribute them so all of the wanna-be europeans could make trendy desks...

How much money will Bill Gates have if he didn't donate any money at all? Way more than $53bill right?

But yeah, I agree, Ikea founder won't last long at the top of the list.