Why is Weed Illegal?

Not a direct result??

I've known several friends who had driven home high, one which nearly ran over some kids

From what they've told me, driving while stoned was just as bad as being drunk off their ass. Weed will alter a mental state, death resulting from actions from an altered state is still a very direct result of the use of weed. Indeed it may not kill you from the inhalation of the smoke, but the impaired mental state however can prove to be quite dangerous.

That would be an indirect result. Marijuana does not give you an uncontrolled urge to drive, only impairs your ability to do so. Hence the direct cause of a marijuana induced car accident would be the irresponiblity of the person who took the drug, not the drug itself.

It should be noted that you shouldn't drive while taking certian cold medicines, hardly a case to make them illegal I would think.

Very little? Do you know how large the drug market in the US alone is??????? The legalization of marijuana would be a HUGE boost to the economy. Need I remind you all that most tobacco companies already have packaging and adverstising for future marijuana products.

The only reason weed can command a high price now is bcause it's illegal, if it were legalized the price would drop immensely, and it would probably be about as popular as cigars/fancy cigarettes are now, a very small amount compared to alcohol or plain cigs.

The only reason weed can command a high price now is bcause it's illegal, if it were legalized the price would drop immensely, and it would probably be about as popular as cigars/fancy cigarettes are now, a very small amount compared to alcohol or plain cigs.

So you think legalization will drastically lower the popularity of marijuana?

I can say from first-hand experience that smoking pot can lead to bad things. I used to be an advocate for the legalization of marijuana but I know that we would have a huge population of amotivated people. If pot is legalized then those who are deathly afriad of it will be more likely to try it, those who fear it because it's illegal will be more likely to try it. If you have any problems in your life, any at all, and you smoke pot, it's likely you will become addicted to it in the sense that it is the first place you run when things are bad. I'm 37 days clean now and I'm in a steady recovery program. I go to 3 meetings a week for three hours a meeting. I'm active in NA and I'm still struggling to kick the habit. It becomes just that, a habit, and when your brain soaks up all the THC, and you can't get high anymore, you're likely to switch to other drugs. I miss pot, but I don't miss all the **** that has happened to me because of it (Lost jobs, lost friends, lost respect, not to mention lost money). Just my two cents, but people with naturally addictive personalities should definitely stay away.

I must say I've seen most of my friends (even my current girlfriend) lives ruined by pot. Ya I do it occasionally, but when you start turning o it for stress relief, then EVERYTHING that happens in life you think of as stress, then you go smoke a bowl. I've seen all of them lose friends who they've known since children, their parents disowning them, spending all the money they have on pot, and eventually doing other drugs aswell. One of my friends died when he was 16 from simply smoking pot. He had no allergies, he just ODed. I know a lot of people will rush in and say "oh that's impossible, it can't happen with pot, pot is the safest drug in the world, blah, blah, blah" but it's not safe. Drug use of ANY KIND is not safe. Do it in moderation, because it can be fun, but don't waste your life away with it.

So you think legalization will drastically lower the popularity of marijuana?

No, I think it would stay about the same, I just think the price would go down because you wouldn't have to deal with shifty drug dealers to get it ...

No, I think it would stay about the same, I just think the price would go down because you wouldn't have to deal with shifty drug dealers to get it ...

If the demand stayed the same, it would be a huge deal in the economy. Of that mch I am completely sure.

Plus taking that money away from the blackmarket would be a huge help to law enforcement, because it would hit cartel's where the will really feel it. The wallet.

marijuana is america's and i believe canada's #1 cash crop. The government(s) could tax it heavily, it would still be less expensive and could really help my area (Tobacco Row).

If the demand stayed the same, it would be a huge deal in the economy. Of that mch I am completely sure.

Plus taking that money away from the blackmarket would be a huge help to law enforcement, because it would hit cartel's where the will really feel it. The wallet.

If the demand stayed the same and the price stayed the same, then yes, but I can't see people paying stores the same price they pay drug dealers.

Or maybe I just don't hang out with enough pot heads :unsure:

ok so basicly what your saying is if you smoke it it has the posiblity of killing you ... ok so its like tabacoo ..

thats only because they are legal.. and people don't have to break the law to get it.

ok.. so its addictive like tabaco.. and impairs your judgment like alcahol...or atlease it can't impare it anyworse

ok so you've basiclly just admited that in that sence its just like alcohol

Thats because they have to go get the weed from illegel sources including people who are also selling much worse

Your arguement is basically this: Since Alcohol and tobacco are legal and they are supposidly just as bad as weed, why is weed not legal?

Ever hear the saying, "Two wrongs dont make a right?"

There are many things that should be stopped in the US that are not, does this mean that we should just make everything legal? Hell no! If you noticed already that the government tried to outlaw alcohol but it did not work since it is integrated in our culture (ever since america was founded and way way back). I am not saying weed isnt part of that, but no were as involved if at all. Also, tobacco cannot be really outlawed since it is a enormous portion of the Southern economy and to outlaw it would cause major economic problems. That is why you see the "anti-smoking" ads on television. What they are trying to do is stop US citizens from smoking but keep it legal in order that we can keep exporting it to other countries (for the profits).

Comparing Weed to Alcohol is a bad comparison. You can go to a bar where people are drinking and not drink or get drunk. Go into a room where people are smoking weed and it's going to affect you whether you're smoking it or not. You can get high on the smoke. There is no smoke with alcohol, and the smoke from cigarettes while harmful, they do not affect your judgement like marijuana does and will not make you high.

Don't get me wrong, I have friends that smoke pot, but they don't do it around me, and they don't do it often. I have no problem with marijuana as long as it does not affect other people.

I've been in a car full of people smoking weed and I never got high...

heres my opinion on the topic, take it for what its worth...

there is no doubt in my mind that weed is a gateway drug. however you want to word it (people you buy it from push harder stuff, peer pressure, etc.) watever, its a gateway drug, and i would know from personal experiences. that is the sole reason that i beleive it will never be fully legalized. after a bust i was involved in recently tho, this is what a therapist and bakeract office told me, and it really made alot of sence (word for word):

"if you drink or smoke in moderation, honestly who gives a ****? its when you start to do it alot (in my case every day, every few hours), that you run into a problem."

so my stand on the topic is too remember the key word 'moderation,' but from there on in, enjoy urself and by all means have a good time...

I think stupidity is a gateway drug. If you're dumb and sheep-like, you'll follow the crowd off the cliff. As a free thinking adult, I think I should be able to light up with impunity in my own home(not that I do). As long as I'm of a certain age, I think I should be able to purchase weed with impunity. As long as I'm not hurting anyone other than myself, the world can go phuk itself.

The only reason I'd like to see weed legalized is for medical usage and for the benefits of hemp. I'd much rather have hemp paper than old-growth tree paper. Other than the previous reasons, I couldn't care less if it's legalized or not. However, I do think adults should be able to choose for themselves what is right for them. As long as they aren't violating others' rights, I don't see the problem.

I think our government is more Big Mother than Big Brother.

The only reason I'd like to see weed legalized is for medical usage and for the benefits of hemp. I'd much rather have hemp paper than old-growth tree paper. Other than the previous reasons, I couldn't care less if it's legalized or not. However, I do think adults should be able to choose for themselves what is right for them. As long as they aren't violating others' rights, I don't see the problem.

I think our government is more Big Mother than Big Brother.

Hemp is legal in some states.

then as a free thinking adult, you should be allowed to buy and use... say shrooms (halucogen, but there grown naturally like weed - errrrr out of cow ****, but that still counts). i agree with you and think that marijuana should be legalized for the fact that most adults are mature enough to handle it, and the side effects are no more serious than alcohol, but there is a fine line that is tough to draw.

plus if weeds legalized, wat next would people start to bitch about? MDMA, cocaine, heorin? (as long as ur mature enough to handle it, even if its chemically produced)...

warwagon

i am not going to explain myself too much, but you honestly need to brighten up. it doesnt take but common sense, some research, and a couple of pot head friends to realize why weed is illegal.

Make tobacco, alcohol and other stupid things illegal... it's just silly. No wonder why people get problems.

Brilliant, and while we are at it we can ban all types of types of things, like caffiene, or any drug at all for that matter. Or maybe even stupid people, or people that just don't plain agree with us.

We can round them up into camps, so we won't have to ever even see them. This will be awesome.

Make tobacco, alcohol and other stupid things illegal... it's just silly. No wonder why people get problems. :ninja:

I also say we ban other harmful things like cars, factories, water (people drown), asprin, and let go ahead and ban stress it really causes problems... :rolleyes: The problems are caused by stupid people not by stupid inanimate objects....

warwagon

i am not going to explain myself too much, but you honestly need to brighten up. it doesnt take but common sense, some research, and a couple of pot head friends to realize why weed is illegal.

i think you like so many others are making a rash causal statement. Does being a pot head you up or do you become a pot head because you are screwed up? Also if you were to look at the research, i mean more then the "this is your brain on drugs" research you will see it is almost unanimous in favor of marijuana when eaten or vaporized.