Why is Weed Illegal?

actually alcohol related crime went up, and the mob moved into other criminal activities. but a high person doesn't commit crimes like a drunk person.

drunken cin = :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :wacko: :angry: :alien:

high cin = :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: ...and maybe after a few hours :sleep:

Uhm I didn't even mention alcohol related crimes after prohibition (haven't read anything about it to be completely honest)

The Mob lost a huge source of income, plus took a PR hit too now that they were no longer primarily helping break an "unjust law" in the eyes of the general populace.

yes, i see that now... but i think the imference was that there was a reduction in mob activities and therefor crime :p

On a side not you make a very good point with the bathtub alcohol causing people to go blind. I know of multiple people that unwittingly did a harder drug (crack) smoking weed they got from a dealer. Dealers will lace their weed with harder and addictive drugs to build their client base.

A dealer who laces weed with crack is doin one of two things, losing weed customers for messing up quality herb, or trying to get a wacked out crack head to Chill the fack out. LOL

A dealer who laces weed with crack is doin one of two things, losing weed customers for messing up quality herb, or trying to get a wacked out crack head to Chill the fack out. LOL

or getting his people addicted......

NOTE 1: I did not read this thread.

NOTE 2: I do not use drugs.

Hearst was the man that made weed illegal through a journalistic smear campaign.

first, alcohol and tobacco are social norms and a part of our culture

marijuana however, like alcohol and tobacco, is addictive and can impair judgment as well as physical ability, not to mention the health risks involved.

so are not healthy (excluding alcohol in moderation), and it is illegal to drink and drive

i don't know if you have ever worked with somebody who is high on weed but they are not much fun to work with, same with a drunk

marijuana also is a gateway drug which almost always leads to additional drug use and abuse

again, where do you get this bs?? :p yes, both alcohol and tobacco are part of our culture and they bring in a load of money, but marijuana is NOT as bad as either of them. it is physically impossible to overdose on thc unlike alcohol and nicotine. nicotine and alcohol are addictive, MARIJUANA IS NOT. im proof. ive smoked regularly for the past... 3-4 years until the end of february this year... i havent smoked for over 7 weeks now and i was never once craving or getting and physical withdrawl from it. driving while stoned is a lot safer than driving drunk. people are more cautious when driving high, people obey the speed limit better or go even slower. people keep their distance from cars.

yeah, trying to communicate or work w/ stoned people is a pain. then again, people shouldnt come to work stoned. that is just unresponsible.

marijuana is NOT a gateway drug. it just happens to be the drug that most kids come in contact w/ first. i dont know any 13 or 14 yr olds that get in the mix w/ heroin or crack. it's usually tobacco and weed. and there are studies that show that 90-some % of people that try marijuana first do NOT EVER try a harder drug. and again, it comes down to your brain power.... being able to resist offers from other drugs. ive been offered X, lsd and coke before but i dont want to try that ****. it's all about responsibility. and even i know that there is nothing wrong w/ thc. it does no damage to the body. nicotine is harmless to the body other than it is addictive. mdma is harmless on the body, it's the other **** in X that messes you up. lsd is harmless on the body too.... i just choose not to use it. it's all about education and research. you can NOT trust what the govt or parents or teachers try to tell you. it's all bs.

and YES, marijuana has more carcinogens than tobacco. but then again, how many people smoke as much weed as they do tobacco? not too many people. people that smoke a pack of cigs a day dont come close to even smoking that much marijuana. most marijuana smokers smoke probably the equivalent amount of 1-2 cigarettes.

the word legalize and weed should NEVER go together. it will NEVER work. ever. the only thing that will ever work in the US would be to decriminalize it and have rules to govern the use. IF you could go to a pharmacy or gas station and buy a pack of joints, for example, the govt would tax the hell out of it. they would make billions a year on it. then they would enforce strict laws against public use, DUI and growing. no one would be allowed to grow, same as now. they could even set the same 21 yr age limit and require that it be used in private. if it were legalized EVERYONE would grow it, prices would skyrocket and there would be even more crime and trafficking. not to mention there would be even more sh*tty pot going around instead of what the government could grow and control. legalization will never work. end of story.

One thing I've noticed about you pot smokers, you sure do anger easily, doesn't take much to rile you guys up. Which is kind of ironic seeing as you guys say you use it to "chill out".

it's because of the hypocracy surrounding weed. marijuana is a schedule I drug and cocaine is still schedule II??? wtf is that about? you can still get prescriptions for coke but never for weed? that makes no sense. it's also these uneducated people that think smoking is bad and yet theyve never researched the drug at all or smoked it themselves. they simply go w/ what teachers, cops and the govt tell us. this is why smokers get so frustrated... it's the lack of education surrounding it. uneducated people see marijuana equal to crack and heroin. and tobacco and alcohol are just fine since theyre legal. c'mon. :no:

another thing about this "addictive" stuff.... eating is addictive (your brain is addicted to carbohydrates), sex is addictive, caffeine is addictive (and there are 20,000 caffeine deaths a year in the US) it all comes down to brain chemicals - dopamine etc. people do stuff so they get a release of pleasure chemicals in their brain. when you dont have it, you seek it. everyone is addicted to something. love is addictive. chocolate. someone before said sky diving. marijuana also triggers chemical releases... which is maybe where people get off saying it's addictive. it's not physically addictive though. i wouldnt mind smoking a blunt right now but what would be the point? ive gone 7 weeks to clean up in case of a drug test. i dont NEED to smoke, theres no craving or withdrawl. end of story, marijuana is not addictive.

Can you smoke pot and still amount to anything? I have never heard of a successful pot smoker.

now you have. me. it's all about being responsible... all of my friends smoke and they all are successful for being 20 and 21. in my case... i graduated highschool w/ a 4.017.... in college i now have a 3.51. ive never been caught or busted w/ weed....

not that this really justifies... but willy nelson is a huge pot smoker and he's successful... and snoop dogg too ;)

as for the original question in this post... the reason weed is still illegal is b/c it's the basis for the drug war. w/o weed there would be no drug war.

So could name a successful person who smokes pot?

Clinton did, Robin Williams does, almsot every rapper you can name does. The list goes on and on. You really need to do some research before you talk.

Clinton did, Robin Williams does, almsot every rapper you can name does. The list goes on and on. You really need to do some research before you talk.

My asking here is research. This seemed like a good place to ask seeing as there were plenty of people knowledgeable on the drug.

All right. I l read up to page five. I can't take any more. It amazes me how many people here are against personal freedoms. It's very very scary. Laws should be in place to stop one human being from harming another human being. <--(hi! i'm a period.) Anything else is an abuse of government powers. No one has a right to restrict what I can and cannot do in my own home, as long as what I am doing does not put others in danger. For example, I should be allowed to smoke any damn thing I want. I should not however, be allowed do mix together explosive materials. If I want to smoke weed it hurts no one but myself.

Or of course we could go the other way and take a trip to 1984. It appears most people here would be in favor of that.

the word legalize and weed should NEVER go together.  it will NEVER work. ever.  the only thing that will ever work in the US would be to decriminalize it and have rules to govern the use.  IF you could go to a pharmacy or gas station and buy a pack of joints, for example, the govt would tax the hell out of it.  they would make billions a year on it.  then they would enforce strict laws against public use, DUI and growing.  no one would be allowed to grow, same as now.  they could even set the same 21 yr age limit and require that it be used in private.  if it were legalized EVERYONE would grow it, prices would skyrocket and there would be even more crime and trafficking.  not to mention there would be even more sh*tty pot going around instead of what the government could grow and control.  legalization will never work. end of story.

what you are describing is legalizing it.. you can't have something illegal and tax it directly (tickets are an indirect and unreliable "tax"). If it is illegal the government doesn't set restrictions and the such, it is illegal for everyone all the time, period. I believe if it was decriminalized more people would grow it then if it were legal, have you grown and dried weed? it is not as easy to do it right. How many people grown their own tobbacco for instance. Decriminalizing weed is the worst thing they could do, we would get the "problems" with none of the advantages of legal pot.

if it were legalized EVERYONE would grow it, prices would skyrocket and there would be even more crime and trafficking.

have you ever taken an economics class, or heard of supply and demand? why would the price go up if i could get it from anyone or grow it myself as opposed to only having a few sources?

Can you smoke pot and still amount to anything? I have never heard of a successful pot smoker.

yes. My art teacher from college. She has won numerous awards as an illustrator, and had a 6 figure income. I'd say that is pretty successful. She's currently writing a book about teaching art.

Pot smokers are the achilles heel of the US. Lets kill them all off so no one will ask anymore to legalize that braincell killing piece of ****.

Pot smokers are the achilles heel of the US. Lets kill them all off so no one will ask anymore to legalize that braincell killing piece of ****.

that was either said to be ironic or you are painfully ignorant. Next time try to add something to the discussion beyond the portrayal of your own ignorance.

I smoke. I get strait A's. I could do everyday tasks without being exausted. I smoke weed to relax me from a hard day, or even just for fun. Most of you who say weed is 'bad, dangerous, gateway drug', please.....you probably have never smoked it. Or just did and had a bad expirience of the first try. Do some research, deep research.

"Actual studies of human populations of marijuana users have shown no evidence of brain damage. For example, two studies from 1977, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association showed no evidence of brain damage in heavy users of marijuana. That same year, the American Medical Association officially came out in favor of decriminalizing marijuana. That's not the sort of thing you'd expect if the AMA thought marijuana damaged the brain."

Please read more then reply.

All the 'potheads' smoke weed for entertainment, some of you play sports, or even video games for entertainment. Just because weed is illegal, we 'potheads' get treated as criminals. Its just not fair.