Running Mac OS X on x86 PC!

Question

3,213 answers to this question

There is no way to convert DMG to ISO. DMG is an Apple proprietary image format.

I'm affraid your illegal copy will not work.

Oh well it was worth a try *cancels download*

There is no way to convert DMG to ISO. DMG is an Apple proprietary image format.

I'm affraid your illegal copy will not work.

a couple of years ago when i had an CD only iBook, i managed to burn 10.1 updates on Nero... There is some way to convert it...

It's still version 0.1 of the emulator. Give it some time, sooner or later it will run MacOSX just like you can run Red Hat in VMWare for example.

VMWare runs on an x86 and emulates a virtual x86 environment. That's not too difficult.

It is more reasonable to assume that this software will eventually be similar in performance to VirtualPC for Mac.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virt...x?pid=virtualpc

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...040121135301830

you can convert a dmg to an iso. but you need a mac. and basic cli skills (terminal).

if this isn't fake, then it's going to run horribly slow. anybody remember winexpose? it brought expose from panther onto windows, but even some of the best systems were bogged down by it. i think it'll be the same way here.

a couple of years ago when i had an CD only iBook, i managed to burn 10.1 updates on Nero... There is some way to convert it...

Im guessing that the DMG updates that you burned onto cd stayed as just DMG files and nero burned them as so, thats what i did when i downloaded some updates for my beige g3. i could be wrong though

this may work..BUT its gonna run very very very slowly..!!! i mean your talking around an hour to boot osx..!! :/

It seems to emulate a 10MHz Mac (from the 1st screenshot).

At the moment it would be more practical to get a 16MHz Mac LC out of a garbage somewhere?

Still, if they can improve it... I'll check back in a year or two.

I'm installing Slackware 9.1 on my laptop in hopes that the Linux version will bring more success for me.

The only problem with using my laptop (Presario 3045US) is that DRM/DRI isn't supported on my chipset (SiS650M), so it'll be closer to 750x slower. 2400MHz / 750 = 3.2MHz!

I don't think it will work you know just like those PS2 xBox emulaters

Time will tell. As soon as Slackware finishes installing on my laptop, I'll give it a whirl on Linux.

perhaps this will work for me... doubt it, but im hoping and frustrated because now i have to wait till after work to try it out... doh!

TS

Wow! Very impressive. I'd recommend everyone gets the source code before Apple moves in and shuts it down ;)

If this works well, it could result in Apple having to ship an x86-native version of OSX to compete. Otherwise, everyone is just going to get this and use it with pirated OSX installer.

This is huge guys and once it starts working well, I wouldn't be suprised if we see a version of Linux taliored to just run OSX.

I'm installing and configuring it now...

Of course they'll get it to work. That's the point of emulation, getting any software to run on any hardware. It just might take awhile. Or, a really long while.

well after a ton of errors i finally got mac osx to install and get to the desktop then jam,

Mandrake Linux 9.1 PPC version i got to the installer then had partitioning errors.

so yes it does emulate PPC processors, just the emulator needs some work, being its a very aerly build this could turn out to be a very good emulator

Time will tell. As soon as Slackware finishes installing on my laptop, I'll give it a whirl on Linux.

Plz, plz let us know if it worked, and some screenshots will be nice.

Many many thanks.

Xu

I don't think it will work you know just like those PS2 xBox emulaters

actually there is a working xbox emulator.

http://www.caustik.com/cxbx/

the latest version that'll be out will emulate at least turok at full speed. there's even a video you can download showing it. the xbox isn't that difficult considering it's x86.

To nake an emulator, you first would have to study assembly and/or C/C++ (VB, C#, BASIC, etc won't work, only C/C++, Fortran, D and Java?, etc). Then you would have to buy or find a detailed book/ebook/webpage/etc on the type of processor your trying to emulate. Then you would have to start coding it, which could take years. You'll also have to make or find your own "fake" BIOS for the emulator (and coding a bios is very hard, almost or sometimes harder than making and operating system)... It isn't easy. Look at Bochs or PearPC's source, and you'll see. Trust me, I know how to make basic OSes that show test and get basic input, but it isn't easy.

Edited by Veiva