Running Mac OS X on x86 PC!

Question

3,213 answers to this question

I wonder what Steve Jobs is thinking right now...

I am pretty sure he's not worrying too much.

This surely isn't a true solution to running OS X on an x86 cpu. In order for it to be a true solution it would need to be able to be duel booted with XP or win2k. I doubt that it would become mainstream if it could only be run in a virtual world on top of another runnning OS.

Besides...most people buy macs not only for the OS...but also because of the pc design.

I'm interested!!!!! Can ppl that know how to use this thing add my msn wk1989@hotmail.com?

How do you get the change cd button? I used cmd from windows xp and executed the .exe with the config file. Norhing happened.

It says it couldn't find mandrake 9.2 cd, wtf???

Hey guys,

As a Mac user can I ask a question? What is really the point of doing this? I mean you won't really be able to run anything meaningful. Other than looking around OS X which you could easily do better at a store that sold Macs. You won't be able to really run any serious applications, so why bother? The only reason someone would use VPC on a Mac to run Windows is usually just because of some proprietary software they must use and are forced to.

Just wondering...

Dazzla, I'm just curious as to why your emulated Mac has 28.14GB free.

Pass, I can't navigate within OS X to see anything, in fact I can't even boot into it at all now, I keep getting dumped at the prompt. I used the 6GB image and made 2 partitions in disk utility, but it didn't show up with that much in setup.

Hey guys,

As a Mac user can I ask a question? What is really the point of doing this? I mean you won't really be able to run anything meaningful. Other than looking around OS X which you could easily do better at a store that sold Macs. You won't be able to really run any serious applications, so why bother? The only reason someone would use VPC on a Mac to run Windows is usually just because of some proprietary software they must use and are forced to.

Just wondering...

I think the answer is....not because they would really use OS X....but because they can. It's truly the first time a a proprietary os can run on different architecture

Pass, I can't navigate within OS X to see anything, in fact I can't even boot into it at all now, I keep getting dumped at the prompt. I used the 6GB image and made 2 partitions in disk utility, but it didn't show up with that much in setup.

so at this point, there's not really much use you can get out of osx through pearpc?

well that sucks...

Hey guys,

Just wondering...

Simple answer...

Sherlock 3.

I'm interested!!!!! Can ppl that know how to use this thing add my msn wk1989@hotmail.com?

How do you get the change cd button? I used cmd from windows xp and executed the .exe with the config file. Norhing happened.

It says it couldn't find mandrake 9.2 cd, wtf???

If you don't know how to edit the config file, then you don't belong trying to run the software. It's very early alpha, and would serve no purpose to you at this point in time. It would probably be in your best interest to wait until a version comes out down the line with a graphical configuration editor.

Well, this is the 0.1 version. Apparently the JITC (Just it time compiler) version is going to be anywhere between 10-100 times faster.

Add to this the fact that it will be easy for someone with a bit of know-how to start selling PCs with OSX pre-installed (running ontop of say, Debian) and having everything working as soon as you get it out of the box, will mean that Apple is looking in a BAD position with this tool.

If it got a lot faster and a translation from OSX graphic requests straight into the windows driver was possible, it would mean that all the effects would work too.

This is going to be very intresting and I'm sure when Apple hears about this they will not be very happy.

I think the answer is....not because they would really use OS X....but because they can. It's truly the first time a a proprietary os can run on different architecture

Hardly.

The Mac was emulated on an Atari ST MANY years ago.

Mike

its common knowledge that Apple has a version of OSX that runs on an x86 processor, so i don't think they'll be very worried about a 3rd rate emulator :rolleyes:

Hardly.

The Mac was emulated on an Atari ST MANY years ago.

Mike

Not to mention that I can run WinXP Pro on my PowerBook just fine.

Unless he doesn't consider Windows proprietary....lol

i think this would just boost sales.

this is just what i'm thinking right now, w/o too much know to back up my thinking.

but i feel that most mac users are pretty loyal to apple. they love the design, the flow of everything, etc.

i'm not sure as to how many current mac users would get a PC just to emulate OSX...

although there seems to be quite a frenzy here @ neowin. :D

I use it everytime I visit the Apple Store. No Windows application can match it.

You know I was just going to say only a Windows user would be amazed with Sherlock...

(By the way I'm just joking don't flame me or anything.)

You know I was just going to say only a Windows user would be amazed with Sherlock...

(By the way I'm just joking don't flame me or anything.)

No harm done.

OS X is the stuff that dreams are made of.

i think this would just boost sales.

this is just what i'm thinking right now, w/o too much know to back up my thinking.

but i feel that most mac users are pretty loyal to apple. they love the design, the flow of everything, etc.

i'm not sure as to how many current mac users would get a PC just to emulate OSX...

although there seems to be quite a frenzy here @ neowin. :D

It may boost sales of their operating system, but unfortunately, most of their profit is made from hardware sales and not software.

I don't think it will be useful for any functional purpose and why waste our time on MAC OS when we have more useful applications on IBM PC and fairly good WIN XP OS, yes for the emulation sake

we can design our desktop like MAC and I think we are very good at that, in any case emulator are very sluggish and can't be used for any useful purpose. https://www.neowin.net/forum/style_images/N...B-674/icon7.gif

https://www.neowin.net/forum/style_images/N...B-674/icon7.gif