Essential OS X Apps

I love how DeskShade enables you to "lock" the Mac, thought OS X would of had it built in.

Radish?

Handbrake. :)

585694323[/snapback]

thats for ripping dvd's to mpeg

i want dvd authouring tools to do the opposite.

my brother runs a go kart track and records footage and gives a copy to the party's for free i currently encode the mpeg he gives me for dvd with tmpeg then i import the files i make in tmpeg to a proggie called spruce up which compiles it to a dvd iso or data mode VIDEO_TS AUDIO_TS folders.

this is the information i need if this can be done on mac i will go out and buy one today.

is there anything for encoding dvd's sorta like Tmpeg or Pinnacle instant copy for mac?

585687637[/snapback]

ffmpegX is great. Even iDVD might do what you want.

I came across another Virtual Desktop Manager the other day which I like just a bit better than Desktop Manager for one simple feature.  When I click on a program in the dock, it automatically switches to the Virtual Desktop that the program is currently visible on.  It also has some other funky features, but that was the one I liked most over Desktop Manager.

It's called Virtue and is available here:

http://virtuedesktops.sourceforge.net/

585646397[/snapback]

OMG ! This is one the best apps ever. Thanks for sharing (Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)

I just saw this on macnn and tried it its very usefull :) and its open source :D

Smultron

Smultron is an open-source text editor written in Cocoa for Mac OS X Panther with many of the features that you might need. It features easy selection of the opened documents, line numbers, support for syntax colouring for many different languages, support for text encodings, code snippets, a toolbar, a status bar, HTML preview, multi-document find and replace with regular expressions, possibility to show invisible characters, authenticated saves, command-line utility, .Mac synchronisation of preferences and many more features.

http://smultron.sourceforge.net/

585687605[/snapback]

This is sweet, but I dont like the fact that it doesnt have filetype icons or options to make it the default editor for files like .php.

Edited by PureEdit

• 2 weeks later...

Today has been good, I have found the app I have been looking for for 2 years.

Music Publisher: http://projects.tynsoe.org/en/musicpublisher/index.php

Like having your iTunes library perfectly organized, but still want to listen to other songs sometimes without importing them? Just open this app and they appear as an iTunes shared playlist. Uses hardly any ram, and basically no cpu.

This is sweet, but I dont like the fact that it doesnt have filetype icons or options to make it the default editor for files like .php.

585720541[/snapback]

yeah it confusing without filetype icons :wacko: I hope they add icons at next releases

Why is it that programs that for linux and windows are free, cost 10-30 dollars on Mac OS X?

585770441[/snapback]

Which application do you refer to? :unsure:

Why is it that programs that for linux and windows are free, cost 10-30 dollars on Mac OS X?

585770441[/snapback]

You are right about linux, but I always have a hard time finding really good programs for windows that are free.

I love how DeskShade enables you to "lock" the Mac, thought OS X would of had it built in.

Radish?

585703059[/snapback]

Yes, it's a very cool featur:yes:yes:

Radish?

585703059[/snapback]

It does. There are two ways to do it.

First, you can use Fast User Switching, keep it in the menu bar and then select "show login screen."

Second, you can open up keychain.app from Applications > Utilities. In the preferences there is an option to show the keychain icon in the menu bar. This will place a lock icon in the menu bar that allows quick access to lock and unlock your keychains. As well, it has the option to "lock screen." This turns on the screensaver of your choice to cover the desktop and will ask you for your password when you want to resume.

585770441[/snapback]

I doubt there are software companies with a Windows, Linux and Mac OS X version of an application that will only make you pay for the Mac OS one.

585770441[/snapback]

Read this: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/delicious-library.ars/2

That's John Siracusa reviewing a Mac shareware app called Delicious Library, and is a pretty good perspective of a Windows user coming across to the Mac and realising just how much better Mac developers are than their Windows counterparts.

I didn't go from 20 years of using Windows and hardly buying one single Shareware app to spending 2 years on OS X and buying ~40 of them just because there are no free alternatives. There's always a free alternative.

There's just usually no good alternative on Windows.

• 2 weeks later...

Im amazed no one has listen an alternative to MS Publisher... a simple ish, low cost DTP Package would really fit my needs. I actually find Publisher 2003 on XP quite good and would certainly like it or a clone on OSX. Good for when I dont have the time or the patience for PhotoShop

Any suggestions? Cheers

It does. There are two ways to do it.

First, you can use Fast User Switching, keep it in the menu bar and then select "show login screen."

Second, you can open up keychain.app from Applications > Utilities. In the preferences there is an option to show the keychain icon in the menu bar. This will place a lock icon in the menu bar that allows quick access to lock and unlock your keychains. As well, it has the option to "lock screen." This turns on the screensaver of your choice to cover the desktop and will ask you for your password when you want to resume.

585779800[/snapback]

Apple Remote Desktop can lock the screens of remote computers too, so there are actually 3 ways.

Im amazed no one has listen an alternative to MS Publisher... a simple ish, low cost DTP Package would really fit my needs.  I actually find Publisher 2003 on XP quite good and would certainly like it or a clone on OSX.  Good for when I dont have the time or the patience for PhotoShop

Any suggestions? Cheers

585871192[/snapback]

Well, not too many low cost programs, but there is Quark Express, InDesign, or PageMaker.

Well, not too many low cost programs, but there is Quark Express, InDesign, or PageMaker.

585871231[/snapback]

I agree InDesign looks ace, but it is VERY expensive if all you want to do is the occasional flyer or poster etc. I admit, I havent got my mac yet, and this is one of the last issues for me to clear up before I go ahead and order.

Im amazed no one has listen an alternative to MS Publisher... a simple ish, low cost DTP Package would really fit my needs.  I actually find Publisher 2003 on XP quite good and would certainly like it or a clone on OSX.  Good for when I dont have the time or the patience for PhotoShop

Any suggestions? Cheers

585871192[/snapback]

Pages is a lot nicer then publisher and exports to standard formats.