• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Essential OS X Apps

DrunkenMaster    0

Smultron is a really nice, minimalist code editor (w/ syntax highlighting) and line counts. Freeware.

CopyWrite is a great text editor (my favorite) esp for complicated tasks (academic papers). All projects are stored in their own "container" a tab at the top lets you select your project and you right in the Windows below. You also get a side bar where you can keep notes on the entire project and each individual entry. Shareware. $29.95 US.

Instead of using Word (which I find is god-awfully slow), I'm using a combination of CopyWrite and Pages to do all my University work. It helps streamline everything. CopyWrite, at least for me, is a "killer" app.

C-M    0

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Aduim yet.

http://www.adiumx.com/ - It's great, has the same feel as Ichat, with many more features and MSN support.

*Edit* ya know, it helps to look at the first page. Ingnore this. x.@

Fusion    0
Acid Search

acidsearch0lt.jpg

AcidSearch is a search enhancement for Safari. It adds unlimited "Search Channels" to the Google search field. Channels can be customized in a nearly infinite variety of ways. AcidSearch also includes powerful features such as JavaScript support, the ability to import iSeek and Butler Search Sites, true hierarchical menu organization, and the ability to search multiple search engines at the same time. AcidSearch also allows you to access your search channels with key equivalents, shortcuts (a la SafariKeywords), and a contextual menu. It patches Safari using Mike Solomon's great SIMBL InputManager. AcidSearch is free software, and will always be free. If you like AcidSearch a lot, and wish to reward me for my development efforts, you are welcome to donate. AcidSearch is available in English, Japanese, Italian, French, and traditional Chinese.

586193126[/snapback]

A great app indeed, but check out Inquisitor as well. An awesome implementation of most of those features and google suggest and automatic history and.... Pretty new and really good. Freeware as well.

bontakun    0

i haven't seen anyone mention Cabos yet, it's a p2p client similer to Acquisition, but it's open source + free

Link

Guest Mykal   
Cyberduck is another nice FTP app. I like that it supports multiple connections and has a pretty clean UI.

San Diego    0
Cyberduck is another nice FTP app. I like that it supports multiple connections and has a pretty clean UI.

586407599[/snapback]

StevoFC just made me aware of this great app.

sniffles    0

I read through all pages but cannot recall if this p2p app was mentioned... apologies if it was.

"Xfactor 0.32: Truly innovative mac p2p

index_xf041904.jpg

Access 4major p2p networks (Kazaa, Gnutella, OpenFT and Ares) seamlessly using giFT. (cross platform modular network daemon)

Providing a simple iTunes-like interface, integrated p2p portal, internal theater for previewing flicks while they download or simply viewing them from the shares library, iTunes and Finder integration, IRC Chat and loads of other goodies while using very minmal system resources and best of all XFactor is FREE software based on ever evolving open source technologies."

I like the Growl support myself.

Syphonic    0
Smultron is a really nice, minimalist code editor (w/ syntax highlighting) and line counts. Freeware.

CopyWrite is a great text editor (my favorite) esp for complicated tasks (academic papers). All projects are stored in their own "container" a tab at the top lets you select your project and you right in the Windows below. You also get a side bar where you can keep notes on the entire project and each individual entry. Shareware. $29.95 US.

Instead of using Word (which I find is god-awfully slow), I'm using a combination of CopyWrite and Pages to do all my University work. It helps streamline everything. CopyWrite, at least for me, is a "killer" app.

586196081[/snapback]

Can you give me some more info of how you use it with Pages? I'm starting Uni soon and while Word runs ok on this iBook I don't find it very easy to use...

hwojtek    0

I don't know if anyone mentioned this before... Growl - freeware systemwide notification application, displays information and alerts from 100s of other applications using pop-ups with enough eyecandy to satisfy everyone...

www.growl.info

sh4ners    0

whats the best dvd ripper out right now?

MacTheRipper, popcorn or other?

.Neo    1,834

Roxio Toast 7.0.1 Titanium

Great burning application, easy to use, beautiful interface and there is nothing like it on Windows. Can't use Mac OS X without it.

post-128385-1126816961.png

hwojtek    0
whats the best dvd ripper out right now?

I use Handbrake. Quite good in fact...

Eredain    0

Could you add links to codecs (like divx or xvid)? I'm thinking buying a imac and this is very important for me.

.Neo    1,834
Could you add links to codecs (like divx or xvid)? I'm thinking buying a imac and this is very important for me.

586533647[/snapback]

Yup there are DivX plugins available for QuickTime 7 or you could just use VLC which supports about everything.

Chad    0

586533647[/snapback]

As long as people don't link to any illegal codecs. But yeah, download VLC and you pretty much have it all covered.

bontakun    0

the mac divx codec is on the divx.com page and here is the xvid component for quicktime

Luisc    0

Hey it's impossible to play a .avi file with last WMV9 codec?

AppleDave    1

Great lists guys thanks a ton.

craybox    9

is there a list of freeware apps?

ZZOOzzoo    0
Hey it's impossible to play a .avi file with last WMV9 codec?

586605548[/snapback]

Yep. There's no way to play .avi files with WMV9 codec yet. :(

WMP can play .wmv files with WMV9 codec, which I believe is a bit more common, though.

Corona    3
is there a list of freeware apps?

586621918[/snapback]

visit www.macupdate.com or www.versiontracker.com as they have large collection of apps shareware and freeware :happy:

prz    1
inquisitorx is a great plug-in for safari

you can download it at version tracker (it's version 1.0)

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21991

to get 2.0 you need to donate first

http://www.inquisitorx.com/safari/

a web version can be viewed here

http://www.inquisitorx.com/beta/

586697549[/snapback]

How the is that donating? You're paying for it.

toastyghost    0
How the is that donating? You're paying for it.

586697983[/snapback]

Because its not priced at anything. You can donate 1 cent if you like, you'll still get the download. Its just to see how effective the distribution model is.

I personally think its worth paying for, and donated $5.