Essential OS X Apps

• 2 weeks later...

I have to add MySync

mysync.jpg

Universal app syncs .Mac items like bookmarks, contacts, calendars, mail etc. without .Mac & for the time being it's free!

(Keychain syncing doesn't work properly at the moment).

Using it between my PowerMac & MacBook Pro at the moment :D

Edited by FOOOD

• 1 month later...

wow nice thread, i knew neowin would have my answer, i just got a macbook typing on it right now, and im doing tons of research trying to make my experience better. ive just opened almost every link in this thread in firefox tabs, now im off to dl and browse! im sure ill have questions and i will no doubt be posting here soon!

I'm really digging Webkit. While not completely separate from Safari, it does give dramatic improvements to Safari. Things like respecting css buttons and not putting in Aqua widgets into webpages when they don't fit is nice, as is the bump in speed over rendering with the default version of WEBKIT in Safari. My only caveat is that its wonky with Saft (read: it won't work) and other some other plugins for Safari. The only real thing in Saft I use is the session saver, and I seem to remember some other plugin that will hopefully work with Webkit.

• 4 weeks later...

Newsfire is a nice app, but I wish I could navigate sans mouse-clicking. It's aesthetically pleasing and love the way it shows the headlines. I still prefer it more than any other newsreader.

• 3 weeks later...

Newsfire is a nice app, but I wish I could navigate sans mouse-clicking. It's aesthetically pleasing and love the way it shows the headlines. I still prefer it more than any other newsreader.

using the keyboard works great for me, using the space bar to work through feeds and arrow keys to manually work through them

I finally discovered QuickSilver the other day, amazing app launcher (that what I'm using it for, but it can do a lot more).

I don't think i could use my mac without quicksilver :rofl: saves me so much time trying to locate the icon for programs :cool:

I dont use quicksilver, if I want to find a program I use spotlight. I tried quicksilver but I was meh.

Spotlight isn't nearly as fast as QuickSilver is and because I use it to find other files too it isn't a very effective application launcher. I set QuickSilver to only monitor my Applications + Developer/Applications folder and some applications located elsewhere like the Finder and Software Update.

• 2 months later...

I've only had my Mac for two months, and these are the essential apps I use:

AppZapper

Confidently uninstall virtually any application.

Azureus

A powerful, full-featured, cross-platform bittorrent client. I tried Tomato Torrent, but I didn't like it.

CandyBar

The quickest and safest way to customize Mac OS X system replacement icons.

Cabos

Cabos is a Gnutella file sharing program based on LimeWire and Acquisition. Free and open source.

iWorks '06

Pages can make stunning documents.

Microsoft Messenger

The Mac version of Windows Live Messenger. In universal.

Microsoft Office 2004

I only use Word and Excel.

StuffIt Expander

Award-winning StuffIt Expander gives you access to virtually any file you download from the Internet or receive in your email. Expander is free.

Pixadex

Pixadex is to icons what Apple's iPhoto is to images. Quickly import, organize and search thousands of icons in seconds as well as export in standard desktop formats or iContainers.

Overflow

Application launcher that is an alternative to the Dock (although I use both).

Also check out this thread for cool apps in Mac OS X.

Edited by kizzaaa

• 3 weeks later...

what is it about quicksilver?

I use launchbar and couldn't live without it. tried quicksilver once but didnt get on with it am i missing something ?

launchbar is hidden until you need it and it finds everything and anything for me.

So is QuickSilver. I've set the hotkey to F1 which makes the window pop-up. After that you type in a few letters like "acr" for Adobe Acrobat Professional 8, or "xt" for Xtorrent and them simply hit [Enter] to execute.

picture1at2.png

Hey All,

App Launcher - Quicksilver (i agree with everyone else....it is great)

Music - Itunes

Browser - Firefox

Word Processor - Neo Office

Text Editor - Text Wrangler

Expander - Stuffit

Messenger - AdiumX & IChat

Money Management - Ibank2

Email - Mail

Uninstaller - AppZapper

FTP Client - Transmit

Torrent - Acquisition

CD Burner - Toast 6 Lite (Came Free With MacUser)

Random Playlists - Tangerine (This is a cool little app)

DVD Backup - Mac The Ripper & Handbrake

.WMV Support - Flip4Mac

DVD Catalogue - Delicious Library

Audio Editing - Audacity

Newsreader - Newsfire

~LiLRichie

• 4 weeks later...

My list doesn't differ much from everyone elses except that I try to keep the programs I use a lot and depend on, as premium (and premium-looking) as possible. This means Cocoa, and now the only three programs in my commonly used arsenal--i.e. what's on my dock--are Firefox, Photoshop, and Limewire.

I was recently introduced, through this forum, to Xtorrent and even though it's in public beta, I still pre-ordered it and all future versions. It's not only, by FAR, the best torrent application for the mac, it's also the best torrent application I've used, period. The search integration is actually useable and superior to searching for .torrents on the internet.

• 4 weeks later...