Essential OS X Apps

i have to develop for windows, this is what keeps me away from mac

585872288[/snapback]

I really really want to try and be a "good" MAC user and not resort to piracy as I have so often done on my XP machine... but ebay is begining to look attractive.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a wealth of info here for those of us new to Macs, (and I'm very grateful for that) but the one thing I'm missing is an equivalent to Winamp. iTunes sounds good but it seems to offer too much in full view and not enough in mini-view, I'd love to skin the thing but apparently that's not possible.

I've searched high and low, found several other players but most seem to be abandonded.

Any suggestions?

There is a wealth of info here for those of us new to Macs, (and I'm very grateful for that) but the one thing I'm missing is an equivalent to Winamp.  iTunes sounds good but it seems to offer too much in full view and not enough in mini-view, I'd love to skin the thing but apparently that's not possible.

I've searched high and low, found several other players but most seem to be abandonded.

Any suggestions?

585984515[/snapback]

I dont know how but , you can run xmms on OSX, its a audio player similar to winamp its a linux package but you can compile for osx I think :)

I dont know how but , you can run xmms on OSX, its a audio player similar to winamp its a linux package but you can compile for osx I think  :)

585984540[/snapback]

that's one on my list but I haven't tried it yet due to my ignorance of 'compiling' something. Thanks, I'm going to have to look into that. I think it even uses winamp skins. That would be perfect. 'preciate the comment.

that's one on my list but I haven't tried it yet due to my ignorance of 'compiling' something.  Thanks, I'm going to have to look into that.  I think it even uses winamp skins.  That would be perfect. 'preciate the comment.

585984553[/snapback]

Yep, XMMS uses winamp skins. I use it my main media player.

I posted a screenshot with the bluecurve skin in the mac desktop thread.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...#entry585919989

Yep, XMMS uses winamp skins. I use it my main media player.

I posted a screenshot with the bluecurve skin in the mac desktop thread.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...#entry585919989

585984584[/snapback]

Did you have to compile it yourself or is there a version somewhere other than the official website for OS X?

Thanks for the link, both those Apple links for running X11 apps are dead :( but I'm getting closer.

• 3 weeks later...

How about the apps bundled with the OS? iLife is certainly a nice package of useful tools that are equal or superior to other vendors. And nothing that comes bundeled with Windows is even close. Specifically GarageBand, how fun is that?

How about the apps bundled with the OS?  iLife is certainly a nice package of useful tools that are equal or superior to other vendors.  And nothing that comes bundeled with Windows is even close.  Specifically GarageBand, how fun is that?

586081753[/snapback]

iLife is not part of OS X, it just comes with new hardware.

it makes me sad that skEdit isn't on the list for text editors.  I feel it's the best app, and for only 20 dollars, is easily the best value of all of them.

http://skti.org/

586089796[/snapback]

Yeah, for sure, this app is invaluable for me at work. I would have easily shelled out over $100 for it. The 3.6 betas were amazing, but since Tiger has come out, he hasn't sent out any new betas, so as soon as a compatible 3.6b comes out for Tiger, I'll be 10 times happier. 3.5 is still good software though.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you have to compile it yourself or is there a version somewhere other than the official website for OS X?

585984870[/snapback]

I just got the precompiled version with fink. You can also get it with darwinports if you want.

SuperCal

SuperCal? is a visual display calibrator capable of measuring and correcting most conventional displays, including LCDs, CRTs and projectors. SuperCal doesn't require any hardware measurement devices - only your eyeballs - yet it can be much more accurate, based on how well you pay attention to what your doin:):).

This is an invaluable tool, especially for PowerBook and iBook owners. After spending about 15 minutes going through the configuration, you can get a color profile that puts the default mac included profiles to shame. Colors look much more vibrant and accurate with the profile I made with this on my PowerBook.

TigerLaunch

TigerLaunch is an easy-to-use and easy-to-configure application launcher for OS X. It displays an Apps menu at the top of your screen listing all your applications in alphabetical order?no matter what folder they appear in. You can easily configure it to exclude applications you rarely or never launch.

I'm suprised no one has mention this one. It's a really light application launcher that isn't cluttered with extra crap.

iTerm

iTerm is a full featured terminal emulation program written for OS X using Cocoa. We are aiming at providing users with best command line experience under OS X. The letter i represents a native Apple look and feel of the program interface, and an emphasis on complete international support. iTerm was merged from two projects, CTerminal and TerminalX, both of which were based on JTerminal project. The current version is still in beta stage. It is however very much functional and usable.

Best part of this terminal replacement is tabbed sessions.

Thanks for the list. I just got my first mac and this is very helpful.

I highly recommend Transmit as an FTP client, by the way.

Acid Search

acidsearch0lt.jpg

AcidSearch is a search enhancement for Safari. It adds unlimited "Search Channels" to the Google search field. Channels can be customized in a nearly infinite variety of ways. AcidSearch also includes powerful features such as JavaScript support, the ability to import iSeek and Butler Search Sites, true hierarchical menu organization, and the ability to search multiple search engines at the same time. AcidSearch also allows you to access your search channels with key equivalents, shortcuts (a la SafariKeywords), and a contextual menu. It patches Safari using Mike Solomon's great SIMBL InputManager. AcidSearch is free software, and will always be free. If you like AcidSearch a lot, and wish to reward me for my development efforts, you are welcome to donate. AcidSearch is available in English, Japanese, Italian, French, and traditional Chinese.