Essential OS X Apps

Because its not priced at anything. You can donate 1 cent if you like, you'll still get the download. Its just to see how effective the distribution model is.

I personally think its worth paying for, and donated $5.

586700306[/snapback]

I went for $5 as well. I think that's a really good price point for specialized software like this. The only other app I remember being that cheap was Synergy and I pulled the trigger right away. $5 for a small utility that makes my life a little easier and is good software sounds like a deal to me.

And how much are you going to donate when you want to download version 2.0.1? And 2.0.2 after that? 2.1? From what I can tell, the expectation is that you will have to pay for every single download.

Speaking as someone who's bought licences for 50+ shareware Mac apps: no thanks :x

And how much are you going to donate when you want to download version 2.0.1? And 2.0.2 after that? 2.1? From what I can tell, the expectation is that you will have to pay for every single download.

Speaking as someone who's bought licences for 50+ shareware Mac apps: no thanks :x

586711654[/snapback]

Thank god Transmission in combination with certain sites take care of that! :rofl:

586711654[/snapback]

David Watanabe said that the donation will allow you unlimited downloads for this version and all updates from the same IP, and if there are any issues you can email him (for example if you're on a non-static IP connection).

Okay, well that's good. The site says that a donation will let you download 2.0 an unlimited number of times, but doesn't mention anything about other 2.x versions.

post-58977-1134034136.jpg

LaTeX. Must have for writing scientific/mathematical/technical documentation and any other word processing you want to look good.

Edited by Syphonic

Latex equation editor: http://evolve.lse.ac.uk/software/EquationEditor/

It works great since I want to be able to hand in assignments and correct my work. It only invovles a small amount of editing. The equations just get pasted into a Word doc.

There isn't a lot of documentation. You either know Tex or go on the web to learn. If someone needs some help, PM me as I can provide some equations to help out.

I've loked for ages for a music (and media) library player ala WMP (god forbids me!). I just don't get iTunes (as a matter of fact it just drives me crazy to try to create a playlist or even play 2 albums in a row. in WMP you just add it to the now playing list on a complete different portion of the program and voila! With WMP you can even look up the cd cover and infop out of a single mp3 track! I've look in many placed (freshmeat, google, neowin, etc) with no avail. These are stupid features I know, but I'm to used to that style of management :s.

Wow, sounds like you've gone to an awful lot of trouble... but in all of your investigations and research, did you try simply dragging an album out of the library browser onto party shuffle?

Cover Art is one area where iTunes lags WMP, I'll give you that. But google "fetch art" and it will be fixed.

And how are you having trouble creating a playlist? File -> New Playlist, or just press the + button at the bottom of the iTunes window.

Wow, sounds like you've gone to an awful lot of trouble... but in all of your investigations and research, did you try simply dragging an album out of the library browser onto party shuffle?

Cover Art is one area where iTunes lags WMP, I'll give you that. But google "fetch art" and it will be fixed.

And how are you having trouble creating a playlist? File -> New Playlist, or just press the + button at the bottom of the iTunes window.

586749152[/snapback]

I also have problems with the format iTunes displays all the music. WMP displays music with the archaic tree method (list by artist->albums) which might not be up to Tiger's modern style, but I find a lot more comfortable than having to loo. (many times I don't know what I want to listen until I see it in the list and iTunes confuses me). Regarding the album art, I have the fetch Art script installed, but it still is waaaay to complicated to use (yes... I've become spoiled with M$ point and shoot style).

I use iTunes because I don't have any other choice when using my iBook, but I have it installed in my PC, and i always use WMP when I want to listen to full albums and the like and Winamp when listening miscelaneous music. What can I say...Old habits die hard :p.

Well it sounds like iTunes just isn't going to work for you, but I'm not sure what you're referring to there. Look at my screenshot again, why can you not just click on the album you want to listen to? Each to his own I guess... I really missed WMP for a long time after I switched too, but these days I can't really see what I ever saw in it :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also have problems with the format iTunes displays all the music. WMP displays music with the archaic tree method (list by artist->albums) which might not be up to Tiger's modern style, but I find a lot more comfortable than having to loo. (many times I don't know what I want to listen until I see it in the list and iTunes confuses me).

Did you use the 'Browse' function in iTunes?!? So you can have a list of Artists on the left pane, and the Albums regarding that Artist on the right one? I find it very useful, and much quicker than the tree view of WMP.

You might want to get rid of 'Genre' pane (i find it pretty useless...), so you can activate the 'hide genre when browsing' option in the preferences.... ;)

• 1 month later...

how do you make VLC the default media player?

Select a media file of choice > Right click and select "Get Info" or press cmd+I > Go to the "Open with:" pane > Select VLC.app > Click "Change All...".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...