Opera named best browser of 2004

That's a load of crock. Open source is all I have to say.

:angry:

Open source is only important for the minority who rave about it. Microsft is crushing the competition in the webbrowser field (Mozilla and it's variants which are open source) and Microsoft is crushing the competition in the OS department (Linux and its distros which are open source)

Open source is cool and all for getting exactly what you want, but for the overall best products, I'm sticking will Mr. Gates.

can opera do these things:

1. Collapse blocked ads AND not displaying "cannot display" because the ads been blocked...

2. Choosing your own font w/o having to choose your own scripting style in settings

3. Completly disable irc AND mail including get rid of the menu, because I really dont need bloated feature.. What I want is a browser....

if they ever do that, I might buy it...

Microsft is crushing the competition in the webbrowser field (Mozilla and it's variants which are open source) and Microsoft is crushing the competition in the OS department (Linux and its distros which are open source)

Very much true. Microsoft owns this world practically with a ratio so good that almost every home has some form of Windows or Microsoft product in it. It's quite obvious that IE dominates the browser world simply because everybody and anybody who uses a Windows platform is presented IE as their default browser. And quite frankly? The average joe doesn't give a damn as long as he/she gets to view the www.

But hell, times change, things change, and we're all just anticipating it.

To end all flaming once again:

Firefox is 2^128 times better than any other browser. By the way that # is:

Open source is only important for the minority who rave about it. Microsft is crushing the competition in the webbrowser field (Mozilla and it's variants which are open source) and Microsoft is crushing the competition in the OS department (Linux and its distros which are open source)

Open source is cool and all for getting exactly what you want, but for the overall best products, I'm sticking will Mr. Gates.

how is it crushing the competition? firefox/linux marketshare is continuing to grow daily, especially with enthusiasts. the problem with that is that most enthusiasts pirate xp anyway so it dosent hurt MS much.

Very much true. Microsoft owns this world practically with a ratio so good that almost every home has some form of Windows or Microsoft product in it. It's quite obvious that IE dominates the browser world simply because everybody and anybody who uses a Windows platform is presented IE as their default browser. And quite frankly? The average joe doesn't give a damn as long as he/she gets to view the www.

But hell, times change, things change, and we're all just anticipating it.

so true, many people haven't heard of the alternatives, and whats wrong with an internet browswer that works and allows you to surf the web? nothing, except they are unaware of the better programs.

btw, go canucks go! :D

1.  Collapse blocked ads AND not displaying "cannot display" because the ads been blocked...
I'm not sure what you mean here but all I get instead of ads is whitespace where the ads are supposed to be. No error dialogs whatsoever. All I'm using is a giant Hosts file. The only difference with firefox in this regard is that it uses the background colour instead of whitespace.
2.  Choosing your own font w/o having to choose your own scripting style in settings

Again, not sure what exactly you're referring to but could it be this?

fonts.jpg

3.  Completly disable irc AND mail including get rid of the menu, because I really dont need bloated feature..  What I want is a browser....

There's an option to disable mail and chat in preferences. I'm assuming that'll get rid of the necessary items in the menu. If not, you can customize the menus manually. Even with the features enabled I find that opera runs just as quickly and uses about the same amount of resources as firefox.

I can't say opera is better than firefox, it's just that opera is easier to use at the moment. I think I'll eventually make the switch to firefox since it seems to be better suited for the power-user but until I can get it to look and behave like my opera setup, firefox will be my secondary browser.

i installed firefox .9, get around with it for few hours, it's just an average stuff, nothing is impressing me... stop bragging about firefox .9 anymore! this is misleading ppl.... stop telling how much peoples loved it, no wonder, majority of humans are idiot

i'd used firebird before... lamed stuff

Need I point out the irony in that statement?

arrogant, stupidity, ignorant is overwhelming most human in this world! no doubt about it....

how is it crushing the competition? firefox/linux marketshare is continuing to grow daily, especially with enthusiasts. the problem with that is that most enthusiasts pirate xp anyway so it dosent hurt MS much.

When the numbers are in the realms of 9 or 10 to 1, that's what I call crushing. Yeah open source is growing with open source enthusiasts, that's common sense, but it isn't growing much with the average user.

And your quote "most enthusiasts pirate XP anyway so it doesn't hurt MS much"...........how does pirating MS software not hurt MS?? I was just curious as to what you meant by this statement.

When the numbers are in the realms of 9 or 10 to 1, that's what I call crushing. Yeah open source is growing with open source enthusiasts, that's common sense, but it isn't growing much with the average user.

And your quote "most enthusiasts pirate XP anyway so it doesn't hurt MS much"...........how does pirating MS software not hurt MS?? I was just curious as to what you meant by this statement.

not Open source enthusiasts, all enthusiasts. they arent being crushed, they were born under microsofts boot and are getting out, they were born crushed.

i meant that enthusiasts switching to linux wont hurt ms's sales cause they dont buy their products in the first place.

arrogant, stupidity, ignorant is overwhelming most human in this world! no doubt about it....

yep... just like the person who typed this statement :)

The funny thing is that everyone fights for what they like to the death.... no matter what the other side says the other side will always make a smart ass comment.. :rolleyes: interesting how this happens for Xbox PS2 and Game cube huh?, its weird how humans can become so attached to material things...as far as browsers go.. they are nothing but code.

By the way "you only have to restart once" just the fact that you have to restart is sort of weird...its really cool to see browsers developing though, Just think about how opera 7.51 was released around the same time as Firefox rc 0.9 i think it was?

congratulations to opera its a very good browser i use it at my solaris class and its amazing the only bad thing is that no flash plugin for solaris version of opera =/ anyways i use firefox as my default browser because its free and its very customizable and the extensions its one of the most inovative thing that i ever seen in this last years

i think that this kind of competition its important and it makes better browsers i want to see what its next for ie (version 7) lets see if microsoft can do something to improve ie (security, features among others thing)

offtopic: YAY trend micro pc-cillin won the title of the best antivirus of this year

yep... just like the person who typed this statement :)

and of course... including you and all the fanboys lol

Edited by dexcophan

The funny thing is that everyone fights for what they like to the death.... no matter what the other side says the other side will always make a smart ass comment.. :rolleyes: interesting how this happens for Xbox PS2 and Game cube huh?, its weird how humans can become so attached to material things...as far as browsers go.. they are nothing but code.

I was just thinking that :yes:

In literally every single fx/opera thread, there is at least ONE troll. Its really surprising how adamant we are :yes:

Opera is a good browser indeed, but why should I use it when Firefox boasts everything it offers (minus all the bloated crap like email, etc) for free? I'm in no way condoning Opera (or being a Firefox fanboy and trying to convert everyone over to it like some :rolleyes:), I just don't see the point in paying for something that I can get free elsewhere.

firefox/linux marketshare is continuing to grow daily, especially with enthusiasts.

ie6 market share is growing faster than gecko/mozilla/firefox...

Opera is a good browser indeed, but why should I use it when Firefox boasts everything it offers (minus all the bloated crap like email, etc) for free?

this question has already been answered:

firefox can't really compete with opera. too much of a hassle to find a dozen half usable extension that clutter up the interface, just to mimic the way opera works. who is going to even bother, when opera works the moment you install it, without the need to install these buggy extensions (and restart between each of course). waste of time.

the point is, everything in opera is integrated in a nice package, and everything works towards a common goal. this is unlike firefox, where you have to wade through hundreds of buggy extensions to find something which works decently.

to put it this way: opera is a car built with all the conveniences and stuff that you need, while firefox is a frame where you have to fit the parts together yourself. too much of a hassle!

as for bloated, even with mail, chat, rss, etc., opera is much smaller than firefox. and more stable. you really should try the email client in opera. it lets you spend more time actually reading your mail and less time organizing it. it's the future of email clients, and even thunderbird is now trying to emulate opera's 'virtual folders' or access points. gmail also stole opera's ideas with the way it handles email.

bottom line, opera is a lean mean internet machine, whereas firefox forces you to spend hours trying to fit the various parts together to get even BASIC functionality. and you don't even get an email client! seriously, we are in the year 2004, can't firefox keep up and add an email client already?!

to put it this way: opera is a car built with all the conveniences and stuff that you need, while firefox is a frame where you have to fit the parts together yourself. too much of a hassle!

Hmm...good analogy. That should make sense to the FF fanboys trolling the thread. The thing that bothers me is immediately when some see the title of this thread, they think, "ooh, let me go in and tell everyone in this thread how much Opera sux, PC World is lame, and Firefox is so much better."

And can we please drop the Opera being bloated argument? Seriously, it is lame and has no validity. Sure it has 2 extra features (irc and email), but it still uses less memory when open, runs faster than Firefox, and has an installer that is about half the size.