Opera named best browser of 2004

as for bloated, even with mail, chat, rss, etc., opera is much smaller than firefox. and more stable. you really should try the email client in opera. it lets you spend more time actually reading your mail and less time organizing it. it's the future of email clients, and even thunderbird is now trying to emulate opera's 'virtual folders' or access points. gmail also stole opera's ideas with the way it handles email.

bottom line, opera is a lean mean internet machine, whereas firefox forces you to spend hours trying to fit the various parts together to get even BASIC functionality. and you don't even get an email client! seriously, we are in the year 2004, can't firefox keep up and add an email client already?!

they did have an email client, goddamnit. its called mozilla. people that htink that mozilla is too bloated because of all the features it has and want a basic browser get firefox. also, th installer for firefox is only 4.x mb, thats only a bit larger than operas.

as for spending more time reading mail and less time orginizing it, why dont you check out if apple will give you a job in their bull**** department?

on no, gmail stole its ideas, nobody cares who stole what from who. at least gmail works in firefox, unlike a certain otehr browser...

my god, we dont spend "hours" comfiguring it. i can get all my fav themes and all my fav extensions installed and configured in less than 15 minutes on a fresh install of firefox.

I'm not sure what you mean here but all I get instead of ads is whitespace where the ads are supposed to be. No error dialogs whatsoever. All I'm using is a giant Hosts file. The only difference with firefox in this regard is that it uses the background colour instead of whitespace.

Again, not sure what exactly you're referring to but could it be this?

http://raptormage.spymac.net/fonts.jpg

There's an option to disable mail and chat in preferences. I'm assuming that'll get rid of the necessary items in the menu. If not, you can customize the menus manually. Even with the features enabled I find that opera runs just as quickly and uses about the same amount of resources as firefox.

I can't say opera is better than firefox, it's just that opera is easier to use at the moment. I think I'll eventually make the switch to firefox since it seems to be better suited for the power-user but until I can get it to look and behave like my opera setup, firefox will be my secondary browser.

1. I agree with you, btu still cant collapse the space taken by the removed ad

2. in the page style, you can choose if you want to use your own font, but to work, you have to choose your own style (ccs) and that scrap all sites.. :(

3. ok

they did have an email client, goddamnit. its called mozilla. people that htink that mozilla is too bloated because of all the features it has and want a basic browser get firefox. also, th installer for firefox is only 4.x mb, thats only a bit larger than operas.

as for spending more time reading mail and less time orginizing it, why dont you check out if apple will give you a job in their bull**** department?

on no, gmail stole its ideas, nobody cares who stole what from who. at least gmail works in firefox, unlike a certain otehr browser...

my god, we dont spend "hours" comfiguring it. i can get all my fav themes and all my fav extensions installed and configured in less than 15 minutes on a fresh install of firefox.

15 min, ur slow :p

but I totally agree with you

Hmm...good analogy. That should make sense to the FF fanboys trolling the thread. The thing that bothers me is immediately when some see the title of this thread, they think, "ooh, let me go in and tell everyone in this thread how much Opera sux, PC World is lame, and Firefox is so much better."

And can we please drop the Opera being bloated argument? Seriously, it is lame and has no validity. Sure it has 2 extra features (irc and email), but it still uses less memory when open, runs faster than Firefox, and has an installer that is about half the size.

Opera is a car that has no gas or oil in the engine, its just not built as well as Firefox and who in there right mind would pay for an Internet Browser!? NO one expect people with too much money. Firefox, free fast, well built. Opera the BMW of the internet, just they forgot some essecial (s.p?)l pieces. Opera isn't bad but firefox blows it away in the speed category. Also it kills it in the population section. Look on neowin at how many people actually use Opera, Maybe 50. Like at least 1000 use Firefox here.

I like both browsers for differnet reasons. For me, I like that firefox feeling and extensions, you can get a lot of features that I think you can't get in Opera. I like Opera because it comes with a lot of useful extensions that I don't need to spend any time configuring (but the looks :s).

Opera is a car that has no gas or oil in the engine, its just not built as well as Firefox and who in there right mind would pay for an Internet Browser!? NO one expect people with too much money. Firefox, free fast, well built. Opera the BMW of the internet, just they forgot some essecial (s.p?)l pieces. Opera isn't bad but firefox blows it away in the speed category. Also it kills it in the population section. Look on neowin at how many people actually use Opera, Maybe 50. Like at least 1000 use Firefox here.

Sorry dude, I am not trying to be rude but that statement was really immature and not well thought out. First off, I think probably over 75% of even firefox fans will tell you straight up that Opera's browser renders faster than Firefox. And yea on Neowin, you are looking @ the # of Firefox users to Opera users? You think that is a fair and unbiased poll...please dude. You have to be kidding. Neowin is the biggest firefox advertisement in the world. Obviously it is a bandwagon browser here. That statement was just plain stupid. I told people, I like Firefox, but it just doesn't cut up to Opera...yet. Even with a mail client, irc client, and browser, Opera is still smaller than Firefox in both memory usage and installer. So please, think your statements through and don't just talk out your butt.

Very true Tlogank.

Also, i think that people just use FF becuase its trendy, and its the cool thing to use.

nope.. dun think so :)

definitely not because it's "trendy"... for me :)

Sorry dude, I am not trying to be rude but that statement was really immature and not well thought out. First off, I think probably over 75% of even firefox fans will tell you straight up that Opera's browser renders faster than Firefox. And yea on Neowin, you are looking @ the # of Firefox users to Opera users? You think that is a fair and unbiased poll...please dude. You have to be kidding. Neowin is the biggest firefox advertisement in the world. Obviously it is a bandwagon browser here. That statement was just plain stupid. I told people, I like Firefox, but it just doesn't cut up to Opera...yet. Even with a mail client, irc client, and browser, Opera is still smaller than Firefox in both memory usage and installer. So please, think your statements through and don't just talk out your butt.

no it dosent render faster. on neowin for example, it renders the page as a whole faster, but the smilies take an extremely long time to load. if pipelining is enabled, firefox is just faster. neowin is not a firefox advertisement, its a place where people that know a thing or two about computers hang out. also, its not just on neowin. firefox/mozilla marketshare is much higher than operas. get over it. yet you still use thunderbird because operas mail client sucks(yes, ive used it, and i prefer a standalone client) and firefox is less than 1 mb larger than opera, so stop bringing that argument up. also, if you download the full version of opera, with java, its like 8 megs. about using firefox because its "cool," thats not true, ive been using it on and off since .6. ive tried opera and myie2, but i always kept coming back to ff.

no it dosent render faster. on neowin for example, it renders the page as a whole faster, but the smilies take an extremely long time to load. if pipelining is enabled, firefox is just faster. neowin is not a firefox advertisement, its a place where people that know a thing or two about computers hang out. also, its not just on neowin. firefox/mozilla marketshare is much higher than operas. get over it. yet you still use thunderbird because operas mail client sucks(yes, ive used it, and i prefer a standalone client) and firefox is less than 1 mb larger than opera, so stop bringing that argument up. also, if you download the full version of opera, with java, its like 8 megs. about using firefox because its "cool," thats not true, ive been using it on and off since .6. ive tried opera and myie2, but i always kept coming back to ff.

sorry, but your guys comments are so biased. Yes, it does render faster. And the size argument, Opera is smaller that is understood, but what I am saying is, it is smaller even with 3 applications in one...and yes, I do prefer Thunderbird over Opera's mail client. So what? That just shows that I am not anti-Mozilla. And if it is true that Mozilla has more of a browser market share (which is questionable), you have to remember the fact that Mozilla has 2 browsers, Firefox and the standard Mozilla browser. And your comment about Opera w/java being such a big download...please dude, get real. Firefox doesn't even come with Java builtin, so you can't even compare that argument.

Whew! I am hot boys, taking them down left and right.

Opera isn't bad but firefox blows it away in the speed category.

May be for you and some others, not certainly for me.

w/ pipelining and other tweaks in Firefox 0.9 as I mentioned in my blog post, it still is slower than Opera. Again this is just for me. So the bottom line is try both and use whatever is good for you.

dsamn you guys, you made me download opera just so i can prove to you how sucky it is at gfx. ill provide a sc in a sec.

ha ha, I bet you end up keeping it as your regular browser you will love it so much!

And if it is true that Mozilla has more of a browser market share (which is questionable), you have to remember the fact that Mozilla has 2 browsers, Firefox and the standard Mozilla browser.

Does it really matter? It's the same rendering engine.

you made me download opera just so i can prove to you how sucky it is at gfx.

good for u. opera rocks for me too. and i have firefox 0.9 installed. and i use it pretty regularly.

u guys dont even try opera before saying bad things about it! I find that funny.

u did not learn IE in 5 minutes, same with firefox. give opera a fair try. spend as much time using it, the time u spend downloading and installing extensions and u will know.

but then you are firefox fanboys. really cannot help you.

hmmm....

opera is a lot faster on longhorn than on xp :huh:

i still say its the same as firefox in terms of speed.

Edit: ya, thats pretty fin wierd. on xp, when i try to post a message, it just stops loading at 15K and it just givces me a blank screen. when i press Reply, it loads the page but none of the smilies come up. on onghorn it all works fine. who cares anyway? by this time tomorrow ill be using linux.

Edit Edit: ^, i already had downloaded opera on xp, but xp has a problem with bittorent where it freezes up my computer(i sooooo need a reformat) so i had to go on longhorn so that i can download some things for linux off of BT. i first used opera when 7.0 first came out, cnet did an ie alternatives review and recomended opera so i tried it out. they also recomended mozilla, and when i started testing mozillai heard about firefox and was hooked

someone said here that since firefox is just 1 meg more than opera so file sizes dont matter!

1. FIrefox started using 7Zip, if Opera shifts it will get even more small :)

2. firefox is a browser, opera is a browser, email, newsreader, irc, mail client, rss aggregator so the real competition is mozilla suite. now check file sizes.

ahah, here it is. the whole page finished loading at about 6 seconds, and then it got stuck. i waited up until 1:05 and then stopped it. this is what im talking about with opera not loading things right. im on 3mbit DSL BTW.

post-12-1087595737.jpg

god, firefox fanboys, the jehovahs witnesses of the internet.

hell! i love firefox but you dont need to push it on other people, they will like what they like.

For heaven sake people wtf is going on?! Ppl will use what they prefer, end of..

No, they must all use Opera!

JK, but for real, it is probably true that half of you that bash Opera haven't even tried it. I commend nuka_t for @least trying it.

No, they must all use Opera!

JK, but for real, it is probably true that half of you that bash Opera haven't even tried it. I commend nuka_t for @least trying it.

Yeah.. It's like I tried Opera a long while back and absolutely hated it so went to IE.. Firefox came out but didn't really like it but it was better than IE so kept using it.. Discovered this thread, tried Opera again and wow! Me likes..