Opera named best browser of 2004

Been using Opera for about 3 years now, and it's become my browser of choice. Of course, I have Firefox as a secondary browser, but I limit its use to gmail only... I just can't get used to firefox

been using opera since the days of versin 4... and like above only just starting to contemplate transisting to firefox while gmail gets its html version sorted out.

sesh.

Before I go and try opera out myself, I'd like to hear some of the things people who've used both opera and firefox can't get used to about firefox. Is it the lack of features, not wanting to have to install extensions? Is it the menus, the fact that all the real good features are hidden from the average user in about:config and user.js? I'm just curious.. I want to know what seperates the two fanboi type flaming aside. Perhaps the best way to find out is install it and try it myself.

I've found firefox to be everything I've ever wanted in a browser outside of the glitches I've been having which admittedly may have been caused by my own actions. Just did a fresh install of a nightly build to hopefully fix my cookie glitch which only I seem to be having. If this fixes it, I'll probably stick with firefox for good.

Well, I'll say this much, Opera changed the way I have browsed the web. It's worth paying for IMO.

However I have never used firefox so I cannot make a comparison. I have used Mozilla, mainly on Linux. IE on windows, and Netscape - which I stopped using on v6.

IE sucks.

Netscape... got old, then v6 came out and really didn't fix the problems...

Mozilla both feels like old Netscape for me, and runs slowly, and browses slowly. I don't care about resources, but I want a snappy internet experiance going from page to page.

Sadly I am on dialup at home, and really don't want to download anything I don't have to that is over 300k or so (I'm lazy, sue me). At college... I am too busy to be playing around with other browsers when I have one that works, and I know how it works. Opera would have to degrade like NS4.x did for me to switch. I really doubt that is going to happen in the near future.

Or, I'd have to see lots of Opera users switching to moz/fox saying it was way faster.

I couldn't browse anymore without mouse guestures, keyboard shortcuts, and customizable search fields. I also like the zoom feature of Opera for my dad who is almost blind.

Two things keep me from even trying firefox right now - one I have been burned too many times by beta software on windows. I don't want to try and mess things up. So I no longer use beta software. However v1 is close. Given windows track record, and many software's record, I may actually wait for v1.5 or v2 as v1 on windows is often just buggy. Also, I don't like the extensions idea that much. Installing things is a pain and often breaks things, so now I need to install a browser and extensions, may break the browser. BTW - how is the uninstall in Firefox... does it use the registry? I hope not.

Competition is good. I am very happy that Opera is getting mainstream press along with FF and Moz, it's good to let the world know there is more than IE that so far seems to be just asking to mess up your comp while browsing due to security holes.

Everyone has different needs, and it is good to see that people are informed that there are multiple choices out there.

Actually, that's a good point about the competition, because at the moment it seems that for a lot of people who dont't want to shop around for more browsers, it's either IE6 (sucks) or Firefox (brilliant). But there should also be another popular choice: Opera (also a great browser).

to put it this way: opera is a car built with all the conveniences and stuff that you need, while firefox is a frame where you have to fit the parts together yourself. too much of a hassle!

Actually this argument works in favour of FF. When you choose the components yourself, you end up with a better end product (as long as you have a clue).

Also please drop the "buggy extensions which clutter the interface" bull****. The Opera fans in this thread keep saying "use our browser for 5 minutes and don't just gripe about first impressions" well the same applies to you FFS. I have never once downloaded a buggy extension, and I have many extensions installed and my interface doesn't have anything on it which wasn't there before.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not a FF fanboy, I used to hate it for the way it would mess up the rendering of some pages. I used to use MYIE2 all the time. Now however, incorrectly rendered webpages are due to slack webdesign above all and I will agree with the person who said that it is IE which now has the CSS problems (I know it didn't use to display my site correctly.

IMO the price argument still prevails and has not been put down. Why pay when I can do the same for free? Give me a valid answer to that.

ok, thats funny. the year is not even over yet.

that just like awarding the mvp of the nfl year before the superbowl.

So true. How could they name Opera the best browser of 2004, when we still have 5 months left of the year.

Many things can change in that time! :yes:

Also please drop the "buggy extensions which clutter the interface" bull****. The Opera fans in this thread keep saying "use our browser for 5 minutes and don't just gripe about first impressions" well the same applies to you FFS. I have never once downloaded a buggy extension, and I have many extensions installed and my interface doesn't have anything on it which wasn't there before.

IMO the price argument still prevails and has not been put down. Why pay when I can do the same for free? Give me a valid answer to that.

1. Yes, by all means try both. Use whichever you like. I don't say that extensions are buggy, I don't know if they are or not. However, I feel like Opera vs FF is like Windows vs Linux. One you grab and go. It has a default setup with a known base of features. The other you have to spend time building, or at least choosing which of a hundred external packages(or extensions) you want to install and you may not even know what ones you need.

Choice is a good thing. However for new users, most want to install and go. As I understand it, if a new user downloaded FF and Opera and just installed both, Opera would appear to have far mor features. Now, there are extensions for FF to increase functionality, but which ones do I want and where do I get them? I don't want to read a bunch of documentation up front to browse the web.

I feel sadly that Opera goes too far in the other direction though, everything is exposed on first startup. So instead of wondering how I get this barebones thing to be as great as everyone claims(as I sure don't see any mouse guestures on first install) I'm wondering how the heck do I use these 1000 buttons, fields, bars, and why are there 2, or maybe 4 forward/back buttons? What the heck is the bar down the right hand side? Why is there 2 search fields.. etc...

So neither is perfect out of the box, but I think Opera could have an edge here. All they have to do is select a more basic default skin. FF has to start "distro's" of extensions, and that leads right to the quagmire that is Linux today.

2. For the same reason so many companies STILL use IIS vs Apache, or Windows vs Linux. Support. A company behind the product. I bought SuSE 9.1 for the same reason, basic support to start out. If I ever find it useful, I might buy more of a support contract.

Many people like roll your own on technical forums, and that is fine. However just as many non technical people like company support.

Also, why buy Aquafina? You could drink tap water. Well, some (a minority) believe that Opera is the better product, and are willing to pay for a (subjectively) superior experiance.

The price question is sort of a red herring, it's the same as asking why would I pay 25,000 for a new Impreza when I could get a 10 year old Oldsmobile for 3,000. It's like asking why would I pay 1.50 for Pringles when I could get Great Value chips for 0.60. The only reason to pay more is because you as the buyer feel you get that much value out of the more expensive item vs the less expensive item.

Also, why buy Aquafina? You could drink tap water. Well, some (a minority) believe that Opera is the better product, and are willing to pay for a (subjectively) superior experiance.

The price question is sort of a red herring, it's the same as asking why would I pay 25,000 for a new Impreza when I could get a 10 year old Oldsmobile for 3,000. It's like asking why would I pay 1.50 for Pringles when I could get Great Value chips for 0.60. The only reason to pay more is because you as the buyer feel you get that much value out of the more expensive item vs the less expensive item.

comparing an impreza and an old doesnt justify the price comparison of ff and opera. anyone with sense would buy what they can afford rather than paying for an old car that might not even work properly.

opera and ff do virtually the same thing, except ones costs money and one doesnt. i use opera[ a hacked version] and im many of you would have no trouble finding a key if you tried. btw, i dont suggest or condone and illegal activities.:D

opera and ff do virtually the same thing

Not quite. With Opera there's no need to wade through hundreds of extensions to get more functionality, and unlike FF extensions, everything in Opera is created to work seamlessly together.

opera isnt as good at firefox...since using firefox, havent looked back. it is soooooooo fast!!! like having ADSL

opera is faster than ff or ie for me, what is your point?

Opera is pretty good, no doubt about that.

However, Firefox is great.

I prefer Firefox. The interface is great, great engine, great extensions, great themes, great customizability.

comparing an impreza and an old doesnt justify the price comparison of ff and opera. anyone with sense would buy what they can afford rather than paying for an old car that might not even work properly.

opera and ff do virtually the same thing, except ones costs money and one doesnt. i use opera[ a hacked version] and im many of you would have no trouble finding a key if you tried. btw, i dont suggest or condone and illegal activities:DD

What I have apparently failed to get across is that both cars do virtually the same thing, get you from point A to point B. Where they differ is in reliability, style, and design. Currently FireFox is beta software, to me that's the same as an untested 10yr old car. When it's v1.2 or so and all the bugs have (theoritically) been worked out, I'll take a look at it, but I do not use beta software for any reason. Too many times hosing windows for me in the past. I have enough trouble with final versions I won't go looking for trouble.

I'm not saying there are many people like me, but I'll bet there are a few. From what I've seen of FireFox, it - like a 10yr old car - needs a lot of work at first to get it running well.

In the end, you will get the same things done, and many buy "fix it up" cars to save money. I see FireFox the same way.

If $$ are important, and you know how, by all means get a "fixer upper". Why not? OTOH, if you've got a couple more $$ you can spend, why not get the new warrentyd(Official Support) car that works when you drive it off the lot?

Excuse me, but why do people keep pushing Firefox in this thread? Is this what Firefox is about, spamming about the browser when it is far from appropriate?

have to agree on the decision Opera ownz. I been trying firefox since .8 i think and now .9 and dont really see the big fuss. Aside from everyone complaining that opera uses ads and that they charge, well you don't have to pay for the browser and the ads can be taken away with a few tweaks here and there. I don't see anyone complaining about google with its gmail service and that it's going to have ads in it, or neowin that also has ads in it, so why complaing about the browser. Opera is a good browser wether you realize it or not, if you think firefox is better then you havent really tried opera for more than a day or two. I've tried firefox when it was .8 for about 3 weeks and just didnt like it. Just yesterday i finish my "trial run" of firefox .9, which i admit was pretty short since it hasnt been out for very long, but i still didn't like the installing of all these extensions. Anyways what im trying to say is, i agree with the choice, i don't like firefox i would prefer IE over firefox anyday, and i prefer opera over IE and firefox.....

After reading post after post with facts and opinions I'm going to have to agree that opera at it's current state is faster and more stable, but I just can't bring myself to use it. I'm not going to details why I use FF than Opera. I have tried the 3 most popular alternative internet browsers and just have stuck with FF. I've tried Opera at one time and thought it was a cool browser but it just didnt feel right to me, i've used MyIE2 and thought it was also a great browser but I didn't like the feeling also or the layout of it. Then, it came down to firefox and it felt right from the begining like IE. Now, i'm not going into why FF is better than Opera and the rest of that fanboy bullsh*t because frankly, what would I get out of it? What would I be accomplishing by telling someone that FF is better than opera and pressuring them into changing browsers? I don't get paid to do so or get free sh*t like a FF plush or a free soda. I never understood the fanboy gimmick. There are advertisers and makerting people to do those things for us, and you know what, they get paid to advertise you their products. You don't, they don't care if you advertise their product in some forum., so why continue to sit here in a forum and bit*h about why you should use this product over another? Maybe i'm getting ahead of myself here. The fact of the matter is, Opera won the best browser of the year award, firefox didn't, and that's fine. Firefox will have it's time in the spotlight like Opera did, and in the end don't we use alternatives browsers because IE hasen't been upgraded since it was introduced back in Win95 and it sucks soo much ass?

I say congratulations to Opera for it's award and Firefox still has a chance of being the browser of the year in 2005. Opera or firefox isn't the right or worng choice it's all about using them to give billy a message telling him that IE is sh*t. It's a magazine review, it's just a couple of guys in a small office building playing around with new products. Get over it. Its all about choice in the end.

BTW, i'm a firefox user. =)

Edited by Ice Brewed Beer

I have to say that I agree with Opera being named "Best Browser" of 2004. I used Firefox for ages and didn't think there was anything better out there but after taking the gamble and purchasing Opera, i did use the demo but the banner put me off a bit, but even the banner didnt put me off purhasing the full version. I was really impressed with everything Opera had to offer.

For me Opera is great, it is much faster than Firefox in my experience and I have not had a problem yet, no crashes or anything.

I'm well pleased!

Aside from everyone complaining that opera uses ads and that they charge, well you don't have to pay for the browser and the ads can be taken away with a few tweaks here and there. I don't see anyone complaining about google with its gmail service and that it's going to have ads in it, or neowin that also has ads in it, so why complaing about the browser.

Because websites aren't web browsers.

I bought it too, but I still think they need to eliminate them. An even lighter free browser-only version wouldn't be a bad idea either IMO.