Youvegotpost.com is reading personal mail!

Here is a few quotes from the YGP forums:

Hello,

Well that was a good test, which proved my original opinion; something I expressed to The Big

Cheese, when I told him that a User Forum was a complete waste of my time and his/their money.

Unfortunately, there are a small number of Internet ###### out there, who do not deserve to be

left alone in front of a computer, and they make this interface a pain in the ass for the rest of

us.

I will now go through the thousands of user accounts that we have generated in the last 3-4 days and

delete all of those who I believe should not possess a YGP account.

If you have a question about YGP, email me at webmaster@youvegotpost.com.

Regards,

Amy Jackson

You've Got Post!

www.youvegotpost.com

looking for uncertainty about privacy, see www.gmail.com

Well, I am not sure there sas, I have logged into your account from the backend and I can see all of your folders and your emails, etc.

And what follows are a few email exchanges with the Whirling Dervish of PR:

Hello,

Thank you for your request for a YGP account.

I see you have a Gmail account.

We are not inviting people to test our system. What purpose would you

require the YGP account, given the fact that you have Gmail account?

Amy

As I have said, our system does not delete emails.

There is a group of you who are sending me the same bull**** emails, and

it a couple minutes I will delete all of those accounts if it persists.

You forget that I have the account history on my end. I can read all of

the emails from this end.

Amy

I not sure what you're on about. We are a UK based company. Everything

on our server is within the scope of what we can read. You must be an

American. I know, you guys think that all the rules you have apply

elsewhere. Sorry.

I have already looked at the history of your account.

Position not changed.

The cherry on the top of this deliciously hilarious cake is the following email exchange. It's unaltered except for formatting and x'ing out the user's email address.

-----Original Message-----

From: Will Henchy [mailto:xxxxx@gmail.com]Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2004 9:23 PM

To: webmaster@youvegotpost.com

Subject: Privacy Concerns

Dear Madame,

It has recently come to my attention that you're reading the emails of youre "youvegotpost.com" users. I've reviewed your EULA, and it states nothing allowing you to do this. Even if your EULA did vest you with the power to read your users emails, you would be in violation of various privacy laws.

You have attempted to hide behind being a "UK" company in order to justify this illegal act. Even if you are in fact a UK company, it is still illegal for you to read your users email, due to the EU Directive on Privacy and Electronic Communications. I suggest you cease this behanvior at once.

For more information on the EU Directive on Privacy and Electronic Communications, please direct your web browser to http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032426.htm

Regards,

Will Henchy

---------------------------------------------------------------

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:25:22 +0100, Client Services

wrote:

You are not a user.

Go away.

Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2004 9:33 PM

Subject: Re: Privacy Concerns

Just a friendly warning -- it seems there are a good deal of folks out there who are not only aware of this law, but are quite annoyed at your lack of privacy. And I wouldn't be so sure I'm not a user. The lack of civility on your part you provide is quite disheartening.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:36:45 +0100, Client Services

wrote:

Given that I am deleted all of the accounts registered through the last 48 hours, you are not a user.

You people make me sick.

Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2004 9:38 PM

Subject: Re: Privacy Concerns

And a violation of international laws makes me sick.

wrote:

Let me clue you in ######. There is no such thing as international law.

im sorry but simply spamming them, is illegal u guys do know that right? im not defending them. i don't really know who or what they are and don't care too! but just take into consideration that spamming them will not solve it just report them to the proper authorities with reasons and solid evidence!! remember spam= illegal

im sorry but simply spamming them, is illegal u guys do know that right? im not defending them. i don't really know who or what they are and don't care too! but just take into consideration that spamming them will not solve it just report them to the proper authorities with reasons and solid evidence!! remember spam= illegal

Well I'm not entirely sure what happened yesterday, but I think that they just e-mailed them with questions and the site was taken down shortly thereafter.

I was part of what happened here yesterday (at least from Neowin), and I am sure that all we did was send emails to webmaster@youvegotpost.com, nothing more, nothing less. If any member took it into their own hands to practice alternate methods, it was not endorsed by Neowin or it's members.

(just some legality)

This is a quote from their ToS:

Title, ownership rights, and intellectual property rights in all content and material that is part of, contained in, or accessed through the You've Got Post! Service, and provided by either You've Got Post! or sponsors or any other content provider shall remain the sole property of You've Got Post! and/or its sponsors or any other content provider.

If I understand correctly, that means that they have the rights to do whatever they please with your account.

If I understand correctly, that means that they have the rights to do whatever they please with your account.

Think this through.

1) How can YGP state that they own all content (and resulting IPR) that goes through their site? That's like the Lincoln Tunnel saying they own and control every car that passes through it. Taking this logic one step further, this is saying that if you sent proprietary source code by email through YGP, they would claim legal ownership over it. My guess is a Microsoft might take issue with that. Aside from the fact that this is stupid, it also has *zero* chance of holding up in a court.

2) We seem to be under the impression that the TOC have stayed unchanged over the last couple weeks. We are hearing *repeated* instances of YGP changing the TOC as it suits them.

3) EVEN IF they owned all information contained on the site, this does not mean that they can then delete files and erase accounts with impunity. As an example, take a person who rents a house. The house is not theirs, yet the law protects them from simply being thrown out on the street by a disgruntled landlord.

I signed up using my @neowinian.net e-mail address. Look what I get now.

This account has been disabled.

Please login before continuing.

:ninja: :laugh:

I signed up using my @neowinian.net e-mail address. Look what I get now.

:ninja: :laugh:

:laugh: :rofl: That's too funny :rofl: :laugh:

This thread has served its purpose and we won't allow further posts that seem to endorse harrasment of other websites or individuals.

If people have a problem with the service I suggest they take it directly to YGP or explore legal avenues. Don't allow Neowin to be associated with any sort of mass harrasment against other web sites please.

Closed