iPod or iRiver?

well said BroChaos. Here are the dimensions...this should take care of some of the useless comments posted.

iRiver - 20 Gb:

Dimensions - Approx. 105(L) X 60(W) X 19(D)mm => 4.1339 by 2.3622 by 0.748 inches

Weight - Approx. 160g = 5.62 ounces

iPod - 20 Gb:

Dimensions - 4.1 by 2.4 by 0.57 inches

Weight - 5.6 ounces

===================================

iRiver - 40 Gb:

Dimensions - Approx. 105(L) X 60(W) X 22(D)mm => 4.1339 by 2.3622 by 0.8661 inches

Weight - Approx. 175g = 6.147 ounces

iPod - 40 Gb:

Dimensions - 4.1 by 2.4 by 0.69 inches

Weight - 6.2 ounces

Just to let you guys know that not all stores have samples you can try out. My best buy has a ipod that is locked into the wall and is barred off everywhere except the controls and the screen. No iriver either, and all of the mp3 players are placed sideways in the display case so u cant even see them. idiots.

Interesting posts guys; thanks for all your input on this. I'm really started to want to own an iRiver right now...

I saw this picture of H320 on the iRiver gallery and it has an option for video?!

3(500).jpg

That's good. Is it the same way to import mp3s with iRiver?

To people who own an iRiver, how far can you voice record? Is it possible to record like teacher's lectures?

Voice recording works quite well, there's an internal mic on the player itself, and it also comes with an external mic that can be clipped onto your shirt or wherever necessary.

As for the previous picture, yeah, that's mine, it really does look much better in person though, and regarding the question of file transferring, there's no software necessary, the only thing included on the Software CD is the database manager, which is what you use in lieu of the file structure, which means it can either be sorted the same way it is on your computer ( C:\My Music\MP3 comes out as Root:\My Music\MP3 on the iRiver ) or else sorted by a GUI on the device in DB mode, which takes a little longer to load at boot, but makes it easier to browse the songs, whether by artist, album, genre, etc.

One thing you might want to keep in mind when comparing the 2, is how stability comes into play, the iRiver does indeed have a reset button on the bottom of the player, and I've had mine for almost a full year now, and not once have I ever had to use that button, the player has never locked up, froze or had any other problem incurred, how many iPod owners can claim that? ( Not trying to start a flame war here, just an honest observation. )

I would liken the iPod to Windows and the iRiver to a Linux distro, the iPod has the bubbly looks, and the mind-numbingly simple UI, whereas the iRiver is a little more technical but offers many advantages once you've figured out that technical aspect.

Ah but once again we get back to the price. Can ANYONE tell me why its more expensive than the ipod even after a year of being on the market with no new changes whatsoever?

Ah but once again we get back to the price. Can ANYONE tell me why its more expensive than the ipod even after a year of being on the market with no new changes whatsoever?

Reigncom ( Parent Company Of iRiver ) doesn't seem to do anything logical, as noted by the crippling of the H320's features for the US release, and the constant delays in the latest firmware release. I think they've just left the price the same over the last year for the simple reason that it's still selling well enough, which could explain why the H320 has the same price point, as it's not meant to replace the iHP-1XX line, it's just meant to be an alternative, cause personally, given the choice of the two I'd still pick the iHP-120, because the styling of the H320 is less than appealing to me, even with the colour screen and photo viewer.

My best suggestion would be to not order it from Canada, there's still significant markup on anything you'd find locally, due to importing it from the states to Canadian retail outlets.

H320-top-angle.jpg

or you could get Toshiba Gigabeat F60

gigabeat_f60.jpg

• 1.8" HDD with 10, 20 or 60GB capacity (F10/20/60)
  • Supports MP3, WMA & WAV (+DRM WMP)
  • 2.2 Type QVGA color TFT lcd (240?320 resolution, 32,768 colors max)
  • USB2.0
  • Built-in lithium ion battery, 11 hours of playback time per charge
  • 29 Equalizer settings, including user equalizer
  • 106 x 63 x 16mm (F10/F20)
    106 x 63 x 19mm (F60)
  • Comes with gigabeatRoom + RipRec application for transferring music
  • 160 grams (F10/20)
    170 grams (F60)
  • Available in white, blue, pink (argh) and silver (F60: silver-only)
  • F60 comes with cradle, which is optional for the F10 & 20

Either way, getting it through a retailer in the US is the best option. iPod or iRiver, doesn't really matter as long as you don't get ripped off.

Yeah but then customs bites me in the ass.

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/images/H320-top-angle.jpg

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/images/gigabeat_f60.jpg

• USB2.0
    106 x 63 x 19mm (F60)
  • 160 grams (F10/20)
    170 grams (F60)

Sorry, I'm only considering between iPod or iRiver. Right now, I'm going towards the H120...

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/images/H320-top-angle.jpg

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/images/gigabeat_f60.jpg

• USB2.0
    106 x 63 x 19mm (F60)
  • 160 grams (F10/20)
    170 grams (F60)

You could, if it were available in the US, which it won't be, because Toshiba doesn't release the Gigabeat line outside of Japan and Korea. :happy::