iPod or iRiver?

you can access the music on the iPod from your PC, I do it myself in school :D

It does, but in a very different way.

Folders are all numbered 1 to whatever number with about 10 songs (I think) labelled.. some weird names.

Very hard to find, but it is viewable in explorer.

dL

i have a 15g 3g ipod and i love it the bettary life has never ran out on me and who cares if it doesent support OGG and wmp mp3 is the file that is most comonly used, and the ipod doesent lack on bass just the stock headphones do i changed mine within a couple of days to come sony ones i got for ?10 and its gr8

i've had my 30gig ipod for about 1 year now (still loving it) and i can truthfully say it has never locked up or froze on me. but i'm not trying to persuade anyone because everyone has different needs.

i have a 15g 3g ipod and i love it the bettary life has never ran out on me and who cares if it doesent support OGG and wmp mp3 is the file that is most comonly used, and the ipod doesent lack on bass just the stock headphones do i changed mine within a couple of days to come sony ones i got for ?10 and its gr8

584725408[/snapback]

Yes, well when you buy Sony EX71's ( Which I assume you mean ) anything will have "gr8 bass."

That's because they were manufactured to produce cheap, highly-overbassed sound.

I'm getting an iRiver soon. I chose it because a H-140 is about ?60 cheaper than a 40GB iPod, and for the extra features.

I also borrowed a H-120 and got on well with it, noticed that it was very loud:)) - something a lot of portable audio players lack; decent volume.

This is of course with my Sony MDR-ED21LP (about ?17) earphones, which add an amazing bass boost.

I also loved the SRS features on the iRiver - you can have SRS, SRS WOW and TRUE BASS I believe. There's also an EQ (Rock, Pop, Jazz, Funk, Classic and a custom, if memory serves me correctly).

The iRiver is firmware upgradeable, and there have been a small number of upgrades - and there's an apparent upgrade coming this month.

Unfortunately the iRiver doesn't do gapless, but neither does the iPod (the Rio Karma does, but who wants a dodgy shape, plastic and reported HDD failures?). The H-120 and 140 are encased in a magnesium alloy, unlike the iPods plastic/chrome affair. It felt very solid when I held it, and the case seemed to do the trick (thought I think an iSkin will be good for me eventually). I'm not too sure how true this is but I know the iPod can be scratched easily (my mates have a few) and rumour has it that the iRiver is generally tougher.

The battery life of the iRiver far superseeds that of the iPod; offering a maximum lifetime of about 16hours. This does of course depend on the file and volume, but then don't all manufacturer's specifications (Apple, you listening)?

As far as looks are concerned... well I love the iPod's looks - but then I also feel the iRiver looks nice too. The screen uses about 4 shades of grey and the remote's screen is surprisingly sharp. Ah yes, the remote. Heh. One issue - earphones with an L shaped jack and rubber casing round the jack will fit, but take a bit of pushing in. Makes it more secure, eh?

Lastly the Hard Drive feature is incredibly useful - plug it in, drag some music across and start listening. Can't be simpler than that! There's 2 structures, filetree (folders, like explorer) or database (if you're an ID3 tag fetishist!) - the filetree is generally preferred.

Apologies for the length, and my missing of the initial conversation. Just had to add my ?240 wor:p :p

Unfortunately the iRiver doesn't do gapless,

584752763[/snapback]

yes it does. its in the options. may have come with one of the newer firmwares, but its in my options :D

No, thats not gapless.

Thats gap-delete - searching for the silence at the end of a song and skipping it.

There is still a pause in between tracks.

:rolleyes:

if you have an L shaped headphone jack, or a large odd shaped jack, there is an extension that is included, so you can still use the remote with no problems.

Ah! That's what it's for. There we are then - sorted.

Now... 140 or 120?

584755775[/snapback]

I have the 120....great player for the price. I got it at bestbuy for $210 on clearance. They are making way for the new 300 series and have what was left of the 100 series on clearance about 3 weeks ago.

I bought a 40GB iRiver the other month, first impressions was it was allot bigger than the iPod. When I first turned it on there was a constant clicking sound from the remote. :pinch: Plus the main select button on the unit made quite aloud click sound, just from the actual compression of the button. So I sent it back as the clicking from the earbuds/remote was rather annoying.

So for ?10 extra I bought a 40GB 4 gen iPod which arrived today, the build quality was much better than the iRiver, although it seems a bit heaver.

Overall I think that the iPod is better on design and reliability. Although Apple have stopped providing the inline remote and case as standard:(( so I had to buy em separately. Whereas the iRiver came with all the accessory's, and as has a few more features.

I would have to say go with the iPod if you have the money.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you transfer files from an Ipod to an IRiver (or the other way around)?

My friend has an IPod and I'm considering the IRiver and would like to know if we would be able to share files easily (or at all).

I have iPod and thanks to horrible battery life, I can't use backlight, EQ, sound check in order to listen for 6 hours.

I used to use Apple Loseless to rip CDs and my iPod always froze up, and now that I changed them to 320kb MP3 (which also reduces battery life) it never stops.

But despite those poor facts, I still love the way I navigate songs in iPod. Wheel is so useful.

BTW, iRiver H300 series NOW can play movies because of firmware upgrade, at least in Korea.

Can you transfer files from an Ipod to an IRiver (or the other way around)?

My friend has an IPod and I'm considering the IRiver and would like to know if we would be able to share files easily (or at all).

584872442[/snapback]

prollly through the computer (ie connect them both, you can just drag and drop the files into the iriver... i don't see why not (unless its a special apple format.. lol)

there's actually a program where you can sync your iriver to itunes...if you are using the DB mode...

but i don't like db mode on the iriver...

for ease of navigation, i like the stick better than the wheel...since i'm not a fan of touchpad stuff...

if you hear clicking, it's not from the remote, but from the main unit itself. there was possibly a bad batch, but if you look at misticriver.net forum polls, most people don't hear the clicking.

prollly through the computer (ie connect them both, you can just drag and drop the files into the iriver... i don't see why not (unless its a special apple format.. lol)

584872504[/snapback]

See, that's what I'm asking. Does iPod have special Apple-only files that won't copy across to another format?

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the iRiver because it seems to have all the extras built in (voice recorder, FM radio etc) but I'd like to be able to share music files with my iPod friend.

Thanks.  I'm leaning towards the iRiver because it seems to have all the extras built in (voice recorder, FM radio etc) but I'd like to be able to share music files with my iPod friend.

584872644[/snapback]

Tell him to plus his headphones into the Line-out, it'll do him good. :laugh:

I have iPod and thanks to horrible battery life, I can't use backlight, EQ, sound check in order to listen for 6 hours.

I used to use Apple Loseless to rip CDs and my iPod always froze up, and now that I changed them to 320kb MP3 (which also reduces battery life) it never stops.

But despite those poor facts, I still love the way I navigate songs in iPod. Wheel is so useful.

BTW, iRiver H300 series NOW can play movies because of firmware upgrade, at least in Korea.

584872499[/snapback]

Which iPod do you have?

Negative on the iRiver H300 series video support, it's an UPCOMING release, and that's still somewhat sketchy due to the translation. It might just mean animated photos will be supported.

No, it's a true video but at 10 FPS (if you don't know how to convert videos then you'll have to learn) but I heard it still looks nice... definitely not for someone who wants to watch videos more than listen to music. It's a nice extra though so can't complain.

h340_video1.jpg

But only released for Korean Firmware right now... -_-

I don't want to risk flashing my US model with it. They better release it for us too!