Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

Hey all,

I figured since I recently purchased a 2005FPW that I would offer my two cents. I got it for around $400 back in May and I was pleasantly surprised to see an A02 (manufactured in May) arrive at my doorstep. I had no major complaints with it although it does have very slight backlight bleeding, no dead pixels, and it is everything I could ask for, but after reading other people's reviews regarding the backlight bleeding, I figured I would try to do an exchange with it since I read that some people had NO problems whatsoever. The second one arrived a couple of days later (it's fast) and it too was an A02 and just like the first, it has no dead pixels, and very slight backlight bleeding. I decided that I would try a 3rd exchange, but would keep the 2nd if the 3rd was the same or worse (Dell doesn't care what you send back as long as they get SOMETHING).

The 3rd was an A01, and let me tell you that sucker STUNK! I thought I had issues but the A01 is ridiculous with all the bleeding through the corners and it came with a whopping 3 dead/stuck pixels. You can't imagine how happy I was to see it leave! So long story, um short, I kept the 2nd one and would not look back. My analysis of the situation is that if you can tolerate a slight amount of bleeding and I do mean slight and it's only when you see an ALL black screen (but I can't imagine you look at one for more than 3 seconds at any time), you should get this! But I do understand now what other people complain about with the A01 and earlier as they truly do stink!

I did find that even with my A02 that there is some bleeding but if you use a cloth and gently rub the monitor (I used a glasses-cleaning wipe), you can disperse some of that light to make the monitor look more uniform on black screens. Don't use your fingers as it will leave fingerprints and that is no fun to clean up!

Good luck to all those who are waiting to see if they get the A02,

Drew

I just checked my box for the first time to see what Rev it was and mine is rev A01 .. I thought I had an A02 since I have no back light problems or anything .. o well it works fine no problems so I'm happy but a lil tiny bit dissapointed since its not the cheapest thing in the world. Never mind :p.

Oddcrap,

that's exactly what happened on my exchange - both monitors were again A01's.

The guy who handles my exchanges was very honest and said all he can do is

make sure it has a "new part number" not a refurbished part number.  That does

no one any good because if it's a new A01...well.  Who the f*** cares?

Soon as the 2405 comes in, these babies are being returned.

Take care,

586072679[/snapback]

Well, with my luck they're going to send me a rev A01 and there's going to be horrible backlight bleeding. I talked to customer service and told them I'm not playing these exchange games, told them that all that they needed to do was send me a rev A02 I told them at least 5 times that they must send me a A02. The guy said he couldn't do anything .. :angry: Anyway, I said that if they ship me a monitor that has backlight bleeding it's going right back to them (I gave the guy a nightmare) told him I would exchange my monitor 10 times if I had to. (not to mention there loosing money for shipping). If I get a 2nd monitor with backlight bleeding I'm calling them right back demanding to talk to there supervisor and tell them they better put in there notes to send me a rev A02. (and ship it back of course). :ninja:

Hey all,

I did find that even with my A02 that there is some bleeding but if you use a cloth and gently rub the monitor (I used a glasses-cleaning wipe), you can disperse some of that light to make the monitor look more uniform on black screens. Don't use your fingers as it will leave fingerprints and that is no fun to clean up!

Good luck to all those who are waiting to see if they get the A02,

Drew

586074141[/snapback]

I'll keep you guys informed of what they ship back to me, and if they're any problems with it :unsure:

My A01 is excellent, it was made in the UK. Does that have anything to do with it?

Where were all your 2005's manufactured? North-Korea? :D

But, seriously?

Hmmm,

I think location has everything to do with it. From what I hear (and can attest to), A01's from Mexico are HORRENDOUS while A02's are ok, so if you live in the US, that's where you'd get your monitor from. I can't speak for other continents such as Europe and Asia, but it sounds like those who have A01's there and say they are ok, tend to get theirs from the UK, so location matters just as much as revision number.

Sound bout right to everyone?

Drew

Hmmm,

I think location has everything to do with it. From what I hear (and can attest to), A01's from Mexico are HORRENDOUS while A02's are ok, so if you live in the US, that's where you'd get your monitor from. I can't speak for other continents such as Europe and Asia, but it sounds like those who have A01's there and say they are ok, tend to get theirs from the UK, so location matters just as much as revision number.

Sound bout right to everyone?

Drew

586075267[/snapback]

I got mine a month ago, A01 assembled in Mexico. perfect backlight and zero dead pixel. maybe just specific batches have problems. *shrugs*

I got mine about a month ago and it is A01. For the first 3 weeks, any movement on the screen looked terrible. It was like parts of the screen didn't move as fast as the rest of the screen. Then one day that problem went away (I was on hold with Dell to call to return it and decided to try it some more) and everything is working great! I have very slight blacklight problems, but i only see it if my screen saver is on and the lights are off.

I got mine about a month ago and it is A01. For the first 3 weeks, any movement on the screen looked terrible. It was like parts of the screen didn't move as fast as the rest of the screen. Then one day that problem went away (I was on hold with Dell to call to return it and decided to try it some more) and everything is working great! I have very slight blacklight problems, but i only see it if my screen saver is on and the lights are off.

586075951[/snapback]

Compared to the pic I posted on the last page, how does the backlight compare?

DELL ULTRASHARP 2001FP 20...is it any good compared to the Ultra sharp...or should I wait

Any good compared to the Ultrasharp? You quoted an Ultrasharp :p if you mean the 2001FP Ultrasharp compared to the 2005FPW Ultrasharp, it's pretty much just opinion of if you like widescreen or not, and if you can afford the larger widescreen. They are pretty much the same thing other than that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Toxicity_Josh

DELL ULTRASHARP 2001FP 20...is it any good compared to the Ultra sharp...or should I wait

586075888[/snapback]

The 2001FP is awesome. It's just not widescreen. It's 1600x1200. :cool: I love mine.

Heh, how much did you get that for steven?

586076993[/snapback]

I paid 860 for mine. You can get it for 525 (with this coupon - 0Q45PXFG7X7N28) now on Dell.com.

coupon expires 6/23

got mine 2 weeks ago (2005 wfp) A02, from Ebay for $450.00 including shipping. it's great. movies are nice, and games look fantastic. I'm a hardcore gamer, but don't like a 200 lbs CRT monitor on my desk. It's worth the money.

got mine 2 weeks ago (2005 wfp) A02, from Ebay for $450.00 including shipping. it's great. movies are nice, and games look fantastic. I'm a hardcore gamer, but don't like a 200 lbs CRT monitor on my desk.  It's worth the money.

586082000[/snapback]

It is great for gaming :yes: HL2/CSS & UT2004 are the games I play mostly and they look awesome.

It is great for gaming  :yes: HL2/CSS & UT2004 are the games I play mostly and they look awesome.

586083110[/snapback]

same here. nice choice of games. can't wait for battlefield2 or F.E.A.R.

same here. nice choice of games. can't wait for battlefield2 or F.E.A.R.

586084382[/snapback]

have fun with FEAR, the stupid ###### at monolith dont include widescreen and there are NO hacks out there that make it 16:10, it just stretches.

have fun with FEAR, the stupid ###### at monolith dont include widescreen and there are NO hacks out there that make it 16:10, it just stretches.

and what source is this from? not that I don't believe you, but have you played the beta version (I'm guessing not). it's hard to believe such a high profile game won't be 16x10 aspect ratio.

Yay! I got mine! Woo! It's so beautiful! A02 as well!

586091880[/snapback]

Just got mine as well, A02 for me too. Replacement came this morning (actually woke me up). Anyway I got a A02, no backlight bleeding or anything!

*Tries NOT to touch the screen and get it dirty*