Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

well, when i call Dell Customer 1-800 number, i always get to talk to those india pep and don't doesn't know how to clear things up or explain it clearly enough...

586300983[/snapback]

yea ok we get it stop spaming the topic LOL

Ps i love my dell 2005FPW :D been playing World of warcraft Half life 2 and a few others with it and my new X800LX

heres a Ss from wow

http://www.finitesite.com/faction/WoWScrnS...3105_005611.jpg

Edited by Inplode

i am going to return mine because there are black horizontal 'ripples' that move down the left side of the screen. very distracting when you are trying to read something. im sure that this is a rare case though.

Edited by sciguy007

i am going to return mine because there are black horizontal 'ripples' that move down the left side of the screen.  very distracting when you are trying to read something.  im sure that this is a rare case though.

586305477[/snapback]

Same here !

Mine was Week 27/2005 A01 - UK , and it had severe backlight bleeding from all corners and a horizontal ripples on the left side...I'm currently waiting for replacement...:(

Where is the born on date?

586310265[/snapback]

:beer: I dunno ask me after I drink about 12. :beer:

3rd replacement, hell my second replacement was better than this one!

I mean the packaging box had a huge hole in it, not good especially as it was near the actual screen unit area...Probably explains the large white stain on the screen too!

I'm going to fight with Dell and try to get them to swap me for a 2001FP :D

3rd replacement, hell my second replacement was better than this one!

I mean the packaging box had a huge hole in it, not good especially as it was near the actual screen unit area...Probably explains the large white stain on the screen too!

I'm going to fight with Dell and try to get them to swap me for a 2001FP  :D

586319017[/snapback]

LOl why in the hell would u take or even unbox the thing if it had a big ass hole in it :huh:

i am going to return mine because there are black horizontal 'ripples' that move down the left side of the screen. very distracting when you are trying to read something. im sure that this is a rare case though.

Sadly, I can confirm that this is not uncommon. I am on my fourth one now, and it had that problem, and my second one had the problem as well. Worse, they are both A02's, the two other ones I got were A01's and they did not have the problem, although they had more backlight bleed then the A02's. This seriously makes me think that while Dell fixed the backlight problem in the A02 revision, they created some kind of interference problem within the monitor in the process. Maybe thats why they still make A01's?

Anyway, I don't think many people have been reporting it because it only shows up on solid colors, and it also does not show up on certain colors such as white. You can see them fairly easily on the XP welcome screen. On my first A02 the bands did not move but on this one they are moving, and they are on the far left side on the screen for both of them.

Ugh, Dell REALLY should raise the price on these by about 100$ and improve the quality control. :huh:

Sadly, I can confirm that this is not uncommon.

586334862[/snapback]

glad to know that i am not the only one with that problem, hopefully my replacement will be an improvement. if not, at least i got in on the good deal.

You can exchange it all you want, but it won't get better. Believe me, I tried. (On my 7th or 8th monitor. I decided to give up after 4 months of wasting time and exchanging. And since they wouldn't give me a refund or replace it with another monitor)

Hmm, I found another thread about this:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=931283

Anyway, the good news is I fixed it by switching to the VGA port. Seems to be some problem with EMI in the signal pathway that DVI uses within the monitor I guess. I know it's blasphemy to run this monitor using a VGA cable but it did the trick for me (and I honestly can't tell a difference in image quality at all). :cool:

Also, as I said before it seems to be more of an issue with the A02's, because two of the A02's I received had the problem while the two A01's did not. Maybe the backlight is repositioned in the A02 models to reduce the bleeding but it increases EMI interference. Of course I am NOT a display engineer so that's just a guess. :)

Hmm, I found another thread about this:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=931283

Anyway, the good news is I fixed it by switching to the VGA port. Seems to be some problem with EMI in the signal pathway that DVI uses within the monitor I guess. I know it's blasphemy to run this monitor using a VGA cable but it did the trick for me (and I honestly can't tell a difference in image quality at all). :cool: 

Also, as I said before it seems to be more of an issue with the A02's, because two of the A02's I received had the problem while the two A01's did not. Maybe the backlight is repositioned in the A02 models to reduce the bleeding but it increases EMI interference. Of course I am NOT a display engineer so that's just a guess.  :)

586338840[/snapback]

Interesting you should say that you can't tell the difference between VGA and DVI. I originally didn't have a DVI port on my laptop, so i used VGA, and was blown away by the picture quality and resolution. But, i got the IBM port replicator II which adds dvi, and i'm blown away by the clarity of DVI over VGA. It's night and day difference, especially with reading text at 1680x1050 w/ windows set at 96(default right?) dpi. I always thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, and just shooting out of focus w/ the vga cable, turns out it wasn't my eyes fooling me, and DVI is the way to go. White looks... whiter. I for one will not be going back to VGA any time soon.

Also, i have an A02, and i do not have this problem you guys speak of. I honestly do not feel like there are that many people with these monitors. I feel like Neowin brings out the two extremes. The people who love it, and the people who hate it. What about the tons of people who didn't care to post their review, nor comment about their monitor that is working just fine? No offence, but i honestly feel like the people who are making a big deal about these monitors having minor (and i do mena minor, some of the early shots of the backlight bleed are ridiculous) issues are forgetting that they paid $400* for the monitor, and not $700+ like you would for the apple. For the price i paid, i am more than happy.

*yes, dell has the non-sale price at ~$700, but it seems to me like it's more of a marketing ploy, sucker away potential apple customers by always having hte monitor on sale. Seriously, is this thing ever NOT on sale? Even the 24" which is newer is already considerably discounted.

From the look at all 133 pages, The Dell 2005FPW seems to have an inherent problem that makes it relatively likely to get a monitor with some backlit issues. I'm still holding out on buy one but I'm in the hunt and thus the reason why I read most of the 133 pages. My question is, how does Dells Compare to Acer's widescreen monitor. I also heard they too were having problems, in their case, it was simply achieving the 16X10 aspect ratio.

A separate question would be, how do you guys think this monitor compares to some recent great monitors. Ex. Viewsonic's VP191B or even Samsungs new 193P+ monitor which uses overdrive on a PVA panel. Or do you guys not even compare them because 1. different resolution and 2. Widescreen so it is in it's own special category.

Finally, hopefully, if I get a pretty good refund (college) I'll think about the 2005fpw with some of those deals that brings it down to like $400 bucks.

P.S. I wonder if any other major companies will bring a real competitive 20 inch widescreen monitor.

So is anyone gonna answer..where do i find the date my monitor was made?.... :sleep:

586332363[/snapback]

Its on the back on the monitor under the stand. I still have severe backlight bleeding Dell did say they wre goign toc all once all the issues were resolved. I'm not holding my breath. Does anyone have a uk Technical support e-mail address for Dell Uk?

If VGA is adjusted properly (using the pixel clock and phase adjustments on the monitor and a test pattern) then you will be hard pressed to tell a difference in sharpness. Plus, VGA will sometimes reproduce certain colors better then DVI.

Anyway, I did some more research and discovered that their IS a way to correct this problem while still using DVI. :) See this thread at Dell's site: http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...d=108996#M47585

Apparently, if you set the DVI pixel clock to 146.25MHz in the driver settings (advanced timing) then it will solve the problem. Unfortunately I have an ATI card, and I don't see an advanced timing option in the control panel. :( I tried "reduce DVI frequency on high resolution displays" but that did not work. If anyone knows how to change the DVI pixel clock frequency on an ATI card then *please* let me know. :cool:

You just need a plug adapter, it does 100-240 or something like that automatically.

So can anyone help me with my voltage question? :(

586300864[/snapback]

Can someone please post pictures of GTA San Andreas running in this baby?

QUESTION:

Is there a tilt sensor in this monitor? i mean, does the computer changes the screen position when you tilt the monitor 90 degrees?