Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

install a case fan on the back of the monitor... it will gets very hot and that is what makes the backlight problems worst...

586443222[/snapback]

you shouldn't need a fan blowing at the back of the monitor, that would add additional noise. As long as you have it in an open area, not enclosed by anything then it should be fine. (mine is in the open and doesnt get that hot)

Thanks for all 3 replies lol. I'm looking for a good deal from Dell (like the ones in the summer), then I will get it. I just wish Dell Canada can have at least 25-30% off!!

dL

Thanks for all 3 replies lol.  I'm looking for a good deal from Dell (like the ones in the summer), then I will get it.  I just wish Dell Canada can have at least 25-30% off!!

dL

586461197[/snapback]

Dell Canada doesn't offer coupon codes?

No, you like this monitor more and more as you have it...

It looks beautiful, probably the best design in a black and white flavour, and of course, if you want widescreen this is the best choice as there is no other widescreen that has this kind of price tag or this kind of quality and response time. Dell has a winner with this design and implimentation, unless you want something like an Apple Cinema screen which is white and costs so much more. DVD's take up almost the entire screen and look great, and the response time is more or less 16ms no matter what they say, but once you are in the game you don't even notice nothing, and only the most sensative people will notice any blurring at all... there is no ghosting, just a slight motion blur, but you can get that even on a low refresh CRT like my old 17". The wide angle is really what sells this thing for me... it is just awesome to have the extra width, rather than a square boxy screen. It is much more practical for games, DVD's, web pages, and to have a large wide desktop and taskbar. It is huge too, even for being a 20" in a widescreen format, it fills your vision because your eyes see in that ratio, so it will still look a lot nicer. I can't even stand the 4:3 screens anymore, and even if a 20" 4:3 would look bigger (my dad has a 19" and it does NOT look bigger by any means), this is much more practical and more than fills my viewing area from where I am sitting which is probably a bit more than 2 feet away from the screen.

The brightness is a bit of a factor, but then again, just don't look at it for too long and take rests in between. You get used to it and it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue.

i saw this monitor at a friends house. feels like a 17" inch, i was gunna get it, but now now! :p and i was a big supporter of the 2005fpw, THATS how bad my disillusionment is! :( Im gunna go with 2X 2001 fps instead and i advise anyone else out there looking to buy to do the same. my friend has that setup and its AMAZINGGG!!!

i saw this monitor at a friends house.  feels like a 17" inch, i was gunna get it, but now now! :p and i was a big supporter of the 2005fpw, THATS how bad my disillusionment is! :( Im gunna go with 2X 2001 fps instead and i advise anyone else out there looking to buy to do the same.  my friend has that setup and its AMAZINGGG!!!

586506121[/snapback]

Well, aside from having about 3 more inches horizontally, and the resolution will be a lot higher than a 17". ;) (I have 2x17" LCDs at work and a 2005fpw at home).

No, seriously, this screen is very big. Don't get fooled by anyone saying it looks like a 17" or smaller than a 20" 4:3 because I moved from a 17" CRT and the difference is huge. Seeing my friend has a 17" LCD Samsung I believe, this monitor looks much larger. A 19" CRT my dad has looks much much smaller as well... maybe between a 20" LCD it may look like it could be debatable because it is not as tall but much wider, but the width makes it much more worth it than the height when playing games/having a large desktop area.

And the sidebar in Longhorn! You need room for that ;)

Seems like it would be better to have a 2405 than two 2001s? It's cheaper and you have one big monitor. I guess it depends if you like running duals more than a single big one though. I wish viewsonic made a widescreen like their nice 20". It would probably be 800 dollars though.

No, seriously, this screen is very big. Don't get fooled by anyone saying it looks like a 17" or smaller than a 20" 4:3 because I moved from a 17" CRT and the difference is huge. Seeing my friend has a 17" LCD Samsung I believe, this monitor looks much larger. A 19" CRT my dad has looks much much smaller as well... maybe between a 20" LCD it may look like it could be debatable because it is not as tall but much wider, but the width makes it much more worth it than the height when playing games/having a large desktop area.

And the sidebar in Longhorn! You need room for that ;)

586516415[/snapback]

If you just go by pictures it can look ALOT smaller than what it really is

I know this isn't a 24 inch monitor thread but i'll use it as an example.

the first picture the monitor really looks no bigger than the 19 inch counterpart to the right

and in the 2nd picture is the monitor held up to a popcan for perspective in size. So all in all ... pictures arn't eveything

post-4927-1126725019_thumb.jpg

post-4927-1126725033_thumb.jpg

well there you go, keypoint "moving from a 17" crt monitor"...

like me i move from a 19" flat screen crt monitor and the size doesn't seems that much increasing...

586526288[/snapback]

Then don't get the monitor... ::confused::

Why are so many people complaining about the size of this thing? If you want a 20" widescreen, go for this monitor. If you want a 24" widescreen, get the 24" model. If you want a 19" 4:3, by all means, get a 4:3 19".

The apple 20" is the same size as this one. I'm sorry if some people are having buyers remorse, but that's what happens soemtimes if you always spring for the latest and greatest. Jupming from one greatest to antoher isn't that large of a jump. I upgraded from a 21" crt (1600x1200)/ 14.1" laptop lcd (1400x1050), and this screen is plenty large for what i need it for. If i wanted the 24", i would have bought it. If i wanted a 30", i would have sprung for the apple.

I fail to comprehend what all the fuss is about...

sorry but i made a very small mistake by all means purchasing it already... and now its too late to return...

and i love your quote right there man "If you want a 24" widescreen, get the 24" model."

lol, oh yeah, don't act like i have like a thoudsand bucks always in handy...

lol, oh yeah, don't act like i have like a thoudsand bucks always in handy...

586526929[/snapback]

Didn't say you did. If you don't have the money, don't buy it. You sold yourself short due to an impulse, now you're dissapointed, and venting it on the interenet. You're bashing something because you made a bad financial decision.

Look at it this way, at least now possibly you'll be a little more cautious when making your financial decisions. You've learned a life lession, you just now need to extract it from the situation. :D

I just discovered a new feature that this monitor has :) !

Apperantly the USB ports on this monitor are self powered. Meaning that you can charge your iPod (or any other usb device) with the computer turn off!

:yes:

Since this thread is super long and I cant search thru it, ill ask here.

I have two FPW2005s I use with a G5. I love the monitors, but I notice they seem to be a lot less sharp than an Apple monitor. I have a 3 monitor system with an Apple 17 ADC, and the two FPWs. While they look great, very small fonts are hard to read and bleed through to the background color. Another easy way to see it is to look at menu item that is highlighted (in blue). Its very easy to see the white text blending with the blue background. ALL small light text is very hard to read on a darker background.

Seems like the dark text is perfectly readable at very small point sizes.

Has anyone else noticed this fuzziness? Happens on both of my 2005s.

Tuf

Since this thread is super long and I cant search thru it, ill ask here.

I have two FPW2005s I use with a G5.  I love the monitors, but I notice they seem to be a lot less sharp than an Apple monitor.  I have a 3 monitor system with an Apple 17 ADC, and the two FPWs.  While they look great, very small fonts are hard to read and bleed through to the background color.  Another easy way to see it is to look at menu item that is highlighted (in blue).  Its very easy to see the white text blending with the blue background.  ALL small light text is very hard to read on a darker background.

Seems like the dark text is perfectly readable at very small point sizes. 

Has anyone else noticed this fuzziness?  Happens on both of my 2005s.

Tuf

586548813[/snapback]

Take a picture, i'm not sure what you're saying. I almost want to think you're running the montior at an un-native res. thus it showing that type of picture/distortion.

• 2 weeks later...
Take a picture, i'm not sure what you're saying. I almost want to think you're running the montior at an un-native res. thus it showing that type of picture/distortion.

586549368[/snapback]

Hrm I though I posted the outcome of this. In a happy/stupid moment, I played around with the OSX font aliasing feature (which doesnt work very well realtime, you have to reboot to see the changes) and it cleared up the issue.

For some reason the setting for the Apple LCD was not at all the right one for the Dells. Live and learn. Anyway, if anyone with a 2005 (or any LCD) has fuzzy text on the Mac, mess with that pulldown and reboot.

Any one moved from an 19" LCD to the 2005FPW?

I'm thinking of getting one but I'm really afraid that I might think that it's too small now that I'm used to an 19" LCD (even thought it's not) and I don't have money for the 2405 yet.