Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

So i just got it in today. Amazing. I'm not seeing any dead pixels, nor backlight bleed. However, it's day time, and i'm not super anal about a dead pixel that i wont notice 95% of the time.

Question: How do i know what revision and the born on date is? I know it's been posted before, but when it's a 130 page thread, it gets to be a long read (yes, i read it all).

Edit: Nevermind, i'm an idiot. I got a A02, July 05.

Edit 2: I shall post up a review in a little bit, after i've experianced the monitor w/ both day and night ambient conditions. However, after playing UT04 w/ widescreen, and all the visual effects on full, i cannot believe the picture quality on this monitor. The shadows, the reflections on the cannons, etc.

Edited by LBraasch

When I play a widescreen DVD on my 2005FPW, it doesn't fill the width of the screen.  Instead, there's bars on both the sides, and the top/bottom of the movie, as opposed to just the thin bars on the top/bottom.  I've tried w/multiple widescreen DVDs and all yield the same result.  How can I get my DVDs to show up like Finding Nemo did in the first post of this thread?

586250953[/snapback]

Another possible solution/issue. You might be trying to watch a non-anamorphic widescreen movie. Early DVD's had bars matted onto the top and bottom to make them format a 4:3 screen. When played on a 16:9, the DVD software inserts bars at the side to make it fit. The solution is to do a ZOOM on the DVD, or purchase a newer Anamorphic print...

Ok, so i'm having a problem. When playing dvd's, i still get the wide black bars, vs. the thin ones shown in the screen shots. However, when in the dvd menu, it gives me the nice thin ones. Why does it go to the thicker ones when the movie plays? I have the monitor set to "aspect".

I just call dell for a refund and they give me a DPS number with shipping back address... here is my question...

I order the monitor on 7/11/2005 so this 7/31 will be the end of my 21 days... i will ship out the monitor tommorrow which is 7/29 leaving me with 2 more days

till my 21 days end.. but usps don't ship on weekends so even if it reach dell, it have been over 21 days already, will they still give me a refund...

and beside, how does Dell RMA number works? their RMA# will only last 5 days but do they count weekends as those 5 days too? and when does it actually start? does the 5 days begin after the day i call for it or start from the date that they create it...

Edited by lanvo

Hi, I've just bought one of these babies from the US, and I'd like to know something about the powersupply.

You see, I live in Australia, a our voltages are different(ours is around 220v), so I'll need to get some sort of replacement cord or an adaptor.

Now what I need to know it what sort of power supply this monitor uses; an external powersupply, or on that's built into the monitor. If it's a built in one, does it have a 110/220v switch.

I'm hoping I won't have to buy a 220>110 transformer, cause those things are meant ot be expensive. :(

Thanks in advance. :D

Here's my new baby:

CIMG1354.jpg

CIMG1372.jpg

I've examined it and I have 0 dead pixels and no significant backlight bleeding :yes:

I love this monitor.

586295168[/snapback]

Death pixels could always emerge later on :laugh:

Hi, i have some question about Dell RMA procedure...

I order a Dell 2005FPW LCD Monitor on 7/11/2005 and so tommorrow my 21 days policy for a refund will end which is on the 7/31/2005... So if I call Dell today to get me an RMA number for a refund. Do you

think that it is still possible for me to do that? I meant, today and tommorrow is weekends so there is no way that i can send the monitor to them becuase all postal service around

my area is close. So the only way i can ship the package to them is on this Monday, but this monday which is 8/01/2005 is my 22 days of ordering the monitor which means it has passed the

time period for a 21 days return policy...

Can anyone make sure for me that they will still give me a refund for this?

Ok, so i've had this monitor for a little over a day now, so here are some of the impressions thus far...

Opening the box:

People complained about the box. The box is brown, it says dell, it is thick cardboard that doesn't break. It's dell, not apple. Money spent on a fancy box is reflected on the customer spending more on products. I paid for a monitor, not a fancy box that holds a montior. When you open the first flaps of the box, there are instructions printed on the box, showing you how to remove the montior from the box. Nice. There is a large colorful "quick setup" guide, and a paper booklet which appears to be about warrentee information and stuch, but really is just disclaimers in about 5 languages. Disregaurd it.

The monitor and stand attach very easily, and as previously noted, the vga cable is already attached to the monitor, and the usb, dvi, and power cable are bagged. It took me maybe 5 minutes to assemble the monitor to my liking. I hooked everythign up, and the screen came to life. I waited about 2 minutes, and my videocard appeared w/ the new resolution, and i was in widescreen bliss.

Performance:

I hooked my keyboard and mouse via the back of the monitor and they seem to be running just fine, no lag nothing. I also tried out w/ usb external drive w/ no failure. I used the side ports to upload images from my digital camera, worked fine, speeds seemed normal.

Running photoshop and music editing programs are bliss. Althoguh i'm coming from 1400x1050 resolution, i have to say that the extra width is quite nice.

I usually don't play games, but i figured i'd download demos of HL2 and UT2004 just for kicks, as they support widescreen. I set all the settings to the highest level, and went from there. W/ zero lag, and zero ghosting, i can honestly say i want to buy HL2. Widescreen picture makes you feel like you're in the game.

I downloaded some HDWMV's to see how it would look. Again, no dissapointments. As we speak, i've just ordered the T2 "extreme dvd" which has a bonus disc w/ the movie encoded in HDWMV.

I was a little dissapointed w/ the dvd playback quality. The colors are right, but it's a little grainy. When talking with someone about it who also has the montior said it has to do with something in the mechanics of the monitor. Something about overdrive. It went completely over my head, but he seemed pretty sure about it, and said that it only occures on this monitor w/ mpeg2 video. I dunno.

For kicks, i hooked up my vcr into the composite input to try out the pip. Pip is nice if you don't have a tv in the room, and would still like to watch the news or something, however i wouldn't really use it for anything else, at least on the 20". I feel like dell added this feature to use as a selling point, neither picture by picture or picture in picture is super useful. I have a tv in same room, so i doubt the composite and s-video inputs will be getting much use.

Quality/Fit/Finish

I got a A02 made in July 05. Zero dead pixels, and a very VERY minimal amount of backlight bleed, which really only can be seen when the screen is compeltely black, and it's pitch black in the room. If you're so much as watching a movie on the screen, you will not notice it. I've had zero problems w/ the monitor thus far, and have to say dell sure did pick up the pieces on this monitor, and appearingly fixed the quality controll issues. I feel like majority of the problems was in the A00 series, and once upgraded, a lot of the problems went away.

My modded Dell 2005FPW:

To prevent further backlight leakage getting worse and to prevent the heat from getting to hot, i added an 80mm computer case fan to the back

of my Dell 2005FPW!!! :D anyways, its really hot to get the strings though the back of this monitor though hehe :Ds...

picture3662oz.jpg

and this method really works!!! no more heat whatsoever when i touch the back of htis monitor!!!

My modded Dell 2005FPW:

To prevent further backlight leakage getting worse and to prevent the heat from getting to hot, i added an 80mm computer case fan to the back

of my Dell 2005FPW!!! :D anyways, its really hot to get the strings though the back of this monitor though hehe :Ds...

picture3662oz.jpg

and this method really works!!! no more heat whatsoever when i touch the back of htis monitor!!!

586299811[/snapback]

why would you do that to such a pretty monitor? :(

lol, good question.. :D

i push my monitor all the way into the wall so no one would see it, plus my computer desk has to wood stands on the left and right side so it hides the fan very nicely :D

anyways, can someone help me with my question below:

i have some question about Dell RMA procedure...

I order a Dell 2005FPW LCD Monitor on 7/11/2005 and so tommorrow my 21 days policy for a refund will end which is on the 7/31/2005... So if I call Dell today to get me an RMA number for a refund. Do you

think that it is still possible for me to do that? I meant, today and tommorrow is weekends so there is no way that i can send the monitor to them becuase all postal service around

my area is close. So the only way i can ship the package to them is on this Monday, but this monday which is 8/01/2005 is my 22 days of ordering the monitor which means it has passed the

time period for a 21 days return policy...

Can anyone make sure for me that they will still give me a refund for this?

Edited by lanvo

Does anyone think I would be cheeky asking for some compensation from Dell?

I ordered this little under a month ago and have had 2 monitors so far, both with internal exposure issues and the second with a slightly scratched screen.

They have yet to send me my promised 3rd replacement, which was supposed to be here last Monday (Instead, 2 power cables turned up...). I was expecting something yesterday after they said my replacement was on 'high priority', but nothing!

I still have the second faulty unit here, they said I could keep it until I was happy with the replacement. The irony is I can't really (and don't want to) use it due to the scratch damage!

Argh!!! :angry:

i just ordered one of these bad boys to go along with my little brother's comp for college...i'm gonna swap my 17 inch for it and give him like 150 bucks cash. i'm pretty pumped.

So can anyone help me with my voltage question? :(

Hi, I've just bought one of these babies from the US, and I'd like to know something about the powersupply.

You see, I live in Australia, a our voltages are different(ours is around 220v), so I'll need to get some sort of replacement cord or an adaptor.

Now what I need to know it what sort of power supply this monitor uses; an external powersupply, or on that's built into the monitor. If it's a built in one, does it have a 110/220v switch.

I'm hoping I won't have to buy a 220>110 transformer, cause those things are meant ot be expensive. :(

Thanks in advance. :D

586291455[/snapback]

well, when i call Dell Customer 1-800 number, i always get to talk to those india pep and don't doesn't know how to clear things up or explain it clearly enough...