Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

This monitor ROCKS... and so does a dual monitor setup (using my old 17" CRT as a secondary monitor). Everything looks better in widescreen, esp movies. I do notice some backlight bleeding when I am at an angle to the monitor, but is something that I can put up with.

ok...so i'm having issues....

anyone know why pretty much all of the options are non-selectable in the menus on the monitor...

and also i get this error going into photoshop:

error5ta.jpg

did i miss some set-up step somewhere???

i tried to use that color profile thing in the nVidia control panel thing and it just made everything horrible and washed out....

i also get this whenever i try to open something in photoshop...

error28iq.jpg

well i've got the photoshop issue fixed but my monitor still has a lot of options not available...

i can change brightness but not contrast....in the main menu its like this:

Positioning: only zoom is available...and its only Out/In

Image Settings: Only Scaling....i can't do auto adjust or any of that

so...that's what's i'm missing....

any particular reason why? is it supposed to be like that? or is something f'ed up?

(these are the actual on monitor settings)

well i've got the photoshop issue fixed but my monitor still has a lot of options not available...

i can change brightness but not contrast....in the main menu its like this:

Positioning: only zoom is available...and its only Out/In

Image Settings: Only Scaling....i can't do auto adjust or any of that

so...that's what's i'm missing....

any particular reason why? is it supposed to be like that? or is something f'ed up?

(these are the actual on monitor settings)

586369511[/snapback]

How'd you fix the photoshop problem?

And as far as menu items disabled, I always assumed that was because DVI auto sets a lot of those things. That's just a guess though.

Yeah, i too would like to know how you fixed the photoshop problem, as i'm having the same problem you posted.

As for adjusting stuff via the monitor, they are disabled because you are using DVI. You are supposed to adjust all video settings via your videocard software. I assume that because your vid. card has DVI, it also means it's got decent adjustment parameters avalible.

I personally leave everything "flat". I am used to my laptop, so the brightness doesn't bother me much at all... Although i did turn down the amount of time it takes for teh screen saver to come on, as it lights up my room at night when i'm trying to go to sleep.

photoshop issue:

go to the Win XP control panel....Adobe Gamma...go through the wizard (don't worry about changing anything)....add a 1 to the file name when it asks you to save....save....then open photoshop and that message should not pop-up....

I ordered one 2 days ago but when i go to "my orders" or "order status" nothing shows up... is this normal??

586371346[/snapback]

Why don't you email them and ask?

want to get this monitor, but dont know if my 8500dv will support it! :( -also for anyone who has this monitor- i have a PC with a DVI video card and im getting a Powerbook, which i believe will have dvi output as well. can i hook both upto the same 2005fpw and just press a button to switch between the two of them? if so, does the picture in picture feature on this lcd let you see both computers together? or does that only work with the composite input?

want to get this monitor, but dont know if my 8500dv will support it! :( -also for anyone who has this monitor- i have a PC with a DVI video card and im getting a Powerbook, which i believe will have dvi output as well.  can i hook both upto the same 2005fpw and just press a button to switch between the two of them? if so, does the picture in picture feature on this lcd let you see both computers together? or does that only work with the composite input?

586401977[/snapback]

did you read any of this thread? Or at least the last few pages?

PIP only lets you see either DVI or VGA w/ S-video or composite.

For using dual DVI inputs, i'm sure there are products on the market that will allow you to do it. I know there is one for VGA which is controlled via hotkeys. But no, you will not be able to use both comptuers ont he monitor at the same time.

I ordered one 2 days ago but when i go to "my orders" or "order status" nothing shows up... is this normal??

586371346[/snapback]

If you have your order number you can call Dell and get it resolved.

this product is boring after you use it like a months... and its look smaller and smaller... nothing really special except for the first day when you recieved it.. at first i thought like i have the world in front of me but after a month, it's just a regular monitor that doesn't worth that much money it will be half the price in about next year!!! and the screen size is too smaller than the regular 20" LCD monitor... which makes it look like you are using a 19" monitor...

this product is boring after you use it like a months... and its look smaller and smaller... nothing really special except for the first day when you recieved it.. at first i thought like i have the world in front of me but after a month, it's just a regular monitor that doesn't worth that much money it will be half the price in about next year!!! and the screen size is too smaller than the regular 20" LCD monitor... which makes it look like you are using a 19" monitor...

586410223[/snapback]

I am sorry that buyers remorse is beginning to set in for you. You had to know that the novelty of the item would wear off after a few weeks, and the real practicallity set in, as it does for anything else.

I personally have had mine for about a month now, and love it as much as when i first opened the box. Yes, when you first get it, it does seem much bigger than it is, and as your eyes get used to it, it does seem smaller. However, upgrading from a 20" CRT, this monitor is larger, and smaller at the same time. Also, the picture is TONS better. I do not find myself having buyers remorse, but insted loving this thing more and more. It caused me to upgrade my speakers to 5.1 because i find that widescreen dvds look bigger ont he screen than on my TV which is across the room, due to the large black bars from a 4:3 ratio tv. I in no way regret my purchase. I am sorry you do not like yours so much anymroe. That's what ebay is for.

I never understood why people always upgrade to the latest and greatest every few months. Obviously if you have the 20" lcd that is very good, unless you REALLY REALLY want widescreen, it doesn't make much sense to upgrade to a 20" widescreen. You want giant screens, go for the 24", or apple 30". I myself am sitting here happy with my purchase. $384 WELL spent.

when my friend first saw this, he thought it was a 17", and i said wtf, then he said it was a 19" and i laugh, then he finally said its a 20" and i said yes and he said, "oh, so you got the length"

sad...

i've never seen this monitor in real life before i was buying, and judging from the Dell website, it was pretty big... but that isn't true anymore when its in my hand...

Just came in the mail today!!! Its my first 2005fpw. In my opinion, PERFECT. No dead pixels, no scan lines, and NO backlight bleeding. When i made the room pitch black, and had the monitor set to blank screen saver, you can maybe see the faintest bit lighter in the bottom left and middle right bottom (can hardly notice it when my face is 6inchs from the screen). But when there is ANY light whatsoever in the room, it all disapears, and its all perfect black. It is revision A02, made in Mexico July 2005.

This is my first post on neowin, and i joined just to say that the backlight bleeding issue didn't affect my monitor, nor were there any scanlines. Dont be afraid to buy one. I read most of this forum before buying my monitor, and it kinda spooked me, because i didn't want to pay 500US for a defect. I assumed that the majority of poeple who get a good one dont say anything, so you have a forum with majority of defects, which doesn't represent the real good/bad ratio.

:D