suprnova.org thread

DO NOT POST LINKS OR ASK FOR ANY LINKS!If your looking for a link, use google

Talk about the closing of suprnova and torrentbits.

Mods: Please keep the thread open, please just edit the post if some dummy posts a link. Thanks!

its a sad sad day today, but on the plus side...30% less bandwidth is being used starting today.

585128988[/snapback]

lol somehow i can see the funny side on that, but not all of it is gone as there are many other torrent sites out there

I wouldn't attribute all 30% of bandwidth explicitly to suprnova. Bittorrent, yes...but not suprnova itself. Though it is a huge provider of torrents, tons of people use other sites, either in tandem, or by themselves. Tis a sad day though...I agree.

They dropped the  tvt.milfclan address a long time ago and went with what they list now....

585128986[/snapback]

ya forgot i had two bookmarks for them in my bookmarks. so it lives!! :) but anyways its legal for that site because the courts already deemed it legal to download tv shows since they are on public airways for free and we can record them on our VCRs. So downloading of tv shows is perfectly legal!

good and bad, no more tv episodes but helps cut down piracy

585129003[/snapback]

Actually this will cause a huge decline in software sales. Many many people download software first to try it out to make sure it is worth the price tag, after they find that it is...they go buy it. I have done this dozens of times. Why should I pay for something before I even know if its worth the money. Would you buy a car without test driving it? or buy a TV for $500 before even seeing what it looks like, the sound and how good the picture quality is? Hell no, so why should we have to pay for our software first?

Actually this will cause a huge decline in software sales. Many many people download software first to try it out to make sure it is worth the price tag, after they find that it is...they go buy it. I have done this dozens of times. Why should I pay for something before I even know if its worth the money. Would you buy a car without test driving it? or buy a TV for $500 before even seeing what it looks like, the sound and how good the picture quality is? Hell no, so why should we have to pay for our software first?

585129025[/snapback]

Yeah yeah....a lotta people say that but who actually does....

Thats just like with the RIAA saying that warez causes huge losses in the business when actually sales have gone up in the past 5 years. Many new artist got started because of warez and the fans that helped them become popular buy their cds when its released.

585129025[/snapback]

I agree completely. Although some people don't ever have the intention of buying.

its a sad sad day today, but on the plus side...30% less bandwidth is being used starting today.

585128988[/snapback]

suprnova.org isn't the one sucking up all the bandwith! there is a TUN of sites that host way more torrents then suprnova. its just another site gone down, and yes it was a very big site. but its not coming back, R.I.P. and move on and search for a new site to put your startup too... ;)

you guys also need to remember, 2 more sites are now closed.

youceff torrents and

isohunt

they are both gone as well :(

The fact (or overwise) that piracy does not hurt, but helps is still not valid. Downloading copyrighted content is illegal. The fact that a few people might purchase the content after the fact means nothing. You still are downloading the content, that's illegal. You can't change that fact.

I agree completely.  Although some people don't ever have the intention of buying.

585129062[/snapback]

and those are the same people that would of stole it from the store anyways, so no matter what its a lose lose situation for those companies.

well, the fact is, piracy will always be around and its simply impossible to stop. So you might as well look at the bright side of it like above, with people demo'n software and the spreading of artists music before the person buys it. may not always be the case, rarely is actually.

RIP nova

I have been an active warez monkey for many years and I have still spent thousands on movies, cds and software. Thanks to places like suprnova, irc and DCC I do not regret any of my purchases of either the cd, dvd or software or from goign to the theater and watching the movie. I remember before I was a warez monkey I used to waste hundreds of dollars a year on a cd that had one good song, a movie that all the good parts were shown on the commericals to entice people to waste their money on the crappy movie, and other movies that were corny or just had no plot what so ever. Since I became a warez monkey my money has been well spent.

it wasnt just suprnova that was shutdown. a lot of other sites got shutdown as well. not a real surprise. everyone knew they were gonna go after torrent related sites. and every december large crackdowns on piracy occur.

as for this causing a huge loss in sales..thats just complete crap. id say about 2% of people who get a warez version actually go out and buy a copy of it if they like it. besides most software out there have trial versions available that last about 30 days to try out or have a few features disabled. so people can try them that way.

The riaa and mpaa and whoever else arent trying to completey stop piracy. if you think they are by taking down crap like suprnova..well then you have no clue as to how the warez world actually works. theyre just trying to get it down to a point where they can live with.