• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Now that you've seen it: Are you gettin a Mac Mini

You gettin one?  

438 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

harleydog    0

I will wait till I see some reviews.

Just wish I could afford a Powerbook!

SonComet    0

Eh... I had one all speced out and my credit card ready. But then I started having second thoughts about spending over 1000 (with 3rd party 1gb of ram and a 200gb firewire hdd) for a computer with a gpu that doesn't support core image in tiger. I am not sure how important core image actually is, but seeing as how I want a mac mostly for the prettiness factor of the os and hardware (the ease and elegance of use just makes me want it more), core image seems like it will be something that I want. If this thing had a gpu that was better suited for tiger then they would have sold me one today. I may have even taken the plunge if it had a 64mb gpu (I am not pleased with the peformance of things like expose on my friends 1.2ghz ibook with 768mb of ram), but I think I'd rather wait and see if the next revision supports tiger. Or just continue saving for a dual G5 rev C.

Slipdisc210    0

No. I don't think Mac has a broad enough software base for me.

You can get a more powerful PC from walmart ($199USD)

Honestly, I have never wanted to use a mac and the release of this tiny thing will surely not convince me to do so.

Starcom826    25

I've been a PC user my entire life so far. I'm starting to want to get a mac, but everytime it is just too expensive. People have been saying the mac mini is cheap, but really it isnt. When I can build my own PC or get a dell with a 3ghz P4, 200gb HD, 512mb ram, and a 17 inch LCD for $450 the mini just looks a tad bit expensive. If they just included a monitor....

giga    45

You can get a more powerful PC from walmart  ($199USD)

Honestly, I have never wanted to use a mac and the release of this tiny thing will surely not convince me to do so.

585275297[/snapback]

128mb ram

20GB drive

CD-ROM drive

integrated 32mb drive

xandros os

:x Sickening. Plus that things design is no where near the Mac mini.

Anyway, once tiger releases, I'll def get it.

Devoto.    0
I've been a PC user my entire life so far.  I'm starting to want to get a mac, but everytime it is just too expensive.  People have been saying the mac mini is cheap, but really it isnt.  When I can build my own PC or get a dell with a 3ghz P4, 200gb HD, 512mb ram, and a 17 inch LCD for $450  the mini just looks a tad bit expensive.  If they just included a monitor....

585275310[/snapback]

Yep, exactly my thoughts.

I was looking forward to getting a cheapish one. It would be my first Mac so obviously I don't want to spend a lot but after adding an extra 256 mb of ram, along with the keyboard and mouse it is still too expensive for me.

Narlzac85    0

the walmart pc may suck, but its powerful enough to run its linux distro and with a bit more ram, would make an awesome computer for so little money.

The main complaint is that the mac mini isn't even powerful enough to run features of OSX correctly and has no monitor...thats not a deal...its a ripoff

Prosidius    54

If the OS will be upgradable then hell yeah, I'll buy it!

giga    45
the walmart pc may suck, but its powerful enough to run its linux distro and with a bit more ram, would make an awesome computer for so little money.

The main complaint is that the mac mini isn't even powerful enough to run features of OSX correctly and has no monitor...thats not a deal...its a ripoff

585275539[/snapback]

What features? :unsure:

BajiRav    2,137
What features?  :unsure:

585275578[/snapback]

expose/iMovie/iDVD/iPhoto all need loads of RAM and not to mention the main Mac OS X its ram hungry....just keeps on eating it

DELETEMYACCOUNTTTTTTTT    0

I assure I ran all the aforementioned apps on my iBook with the same amount of RAM and a 1.2 ghz G4.

gdodson    24

I can build a much better pc than that for $599. Plus it's just as hideous as the Shuffle.

Just my opinion, but I think the Shuffle is going to be a huge mistake for Apple.

BajiRav    2,137
I assure I ran all the aforementioned apps on my iBook with the same amount of RAM and a 1.2 ghz G4.

585275754[/snapback]

well :happy: I am using all those apps on my 12" iBook G4 1.2GHz/768 MB RAM but there is a difference between can run and flawless performance which the mac mini isnot capable of. I've felt expose lagging, iMovie draggin system etc etc.

Ultimately those apps need some rugged system performance to use them practically. (it took my iBook about 2 hrs to encode a DVD from photo slideshows..about 10 with average 20 pics each)

kingpunk    0

585275539[/snapback]

um anybody in their right mind knows how to throw in third party ram and hard drives.

so that isnt an issue for me..

also, OSX is nice, but its slow imho. even on the super fast dual g5's..

i'd let gentoo linux own that box in no time. ;)

but the main reason why i'd get one is to do some project work on OpenDarwin

which is really picky about x86 and doesn't like any of my 100+ x86 boxen.

thus my excuse. ;)

sanctified    1,220

I think Im going to get this. The 1gb version is basically cheap. Im going to use it just for photoshop anyway. And since I hace an external usb drive then I dont think Im going to have any problems with this.

XanDaMan    0

You can get a more powerful PC from walmart  ($199USD)

585275297[/snapback]

Haha @ that pc beeing more powerful. Actually, more a :rofl:

Have you ever looked up what kind of software youd want? Or do you just look on neowin :pinch:

Sophism    8

There is no real reason to get a mac. The only reason people usually get a mac is either for the OS or the looks of the case

XanDaMan    0
well  :happy: I am using all those apps on my 12" iBook G4 1.2GHz/768 MB RAM but there is a difference between can run and flawless performance which the mac mini isnot capable of. I've felt expose lagging, iMovie draggin system etc etc.

Ultimately those apps need some rugged system performance to use them practically. (it took my iBook about 2 hrs to encode a DVD from photo slideshows..about 10 with average 20 pics each)

585275785[/snapback]

expose lagging? er, what you running, i've had running word, all the officee's, and 4 qt movies and i'm on a g3 and expose has never lagged on me. :huh:

sanctified    1,220
There is no real reason to get a mac. The only reason people usually get a mac is either for the OS or the looks of the case

585275850[/snapback]

The processor architecture makes it a very nice plataform to design (I just learnt this in deep days ago)

Remember. A G4 @ 1.25Ghz its a lot better than an AMD or Intel's at the same speed.

Steve    2
expose lagging? er, what you running, i've had running word, all the officee's, and 4 qt movies and i'm on a g3 and expose has never lagged on me.  :huh:

585275863[/snapback]

Dude, Expos? lags. Different people have different conceptions to lag, but it lags. I have a pretty top of the line Mac, and after i've had so many apps running, Expos? animation becomes choppy. It doesn't effect it's useful-ness to me, but none-the-less, the animation appears to drop a good few frames...

DrZoidberg    0

585275850[/snapback]

Right. Have you done a survey that backs up this assertion?

brettm133    0

I'm also a PC user thinking about getting a Mac mini. I am wondering how big of a hard drive I should get. How big is the Panther OS + iLife in terms of how much hard drive space it takes up? I tried searching and came up empty. If I get a 40 gig hd how much total space will I have left for other stuff. I heard the OS was as big as 10 gigs or something.. can someone clear this up for me? :unsure:

Chadwick    0

im pretty sure that if you get a 40gb hard drive, +the loss from format + the os + default apps +extra default apps you are most likely looking at about 30gb free, but remember a good chunk of the first 10gb is lost to the annoying 40gb != 40gb formatting on all drive.

brettm133    0

I just realized the one that comes with the 80gb also has a faster processor. Now my next question is RAM. Should I just get 256mb and get RAM somewhere else other than Apple? I'd really like a gig of ram but adding almost $400 to my total for it is insane. Where else could I get ram for less than that? It isn't that much is it? :huh:

Thanks. :)

floss    0

I want to, but I got a PC. :D

I am still undecided as of right now. The thing that makes me undecided is I don't have a monitor for it and the Apple ones are nice, but expensive. Also, I haven't really read into it, so I'm not sure if it is upgradable. Is it?

In the future, I will be getting a Mac, but not sure yet if it will be a Mini. ;)