Now that you've seen it: Are you gettin a Mac Mini

You gettin one?  

438 members have voted

1. 1. You gettin one?

• Yep, defo
    • No
    • Undecided.

I was considering purchasing one if it had a G5, but since it doesn't there is no chance. At work I use a dual 1.25GHz G4 system and dreamweaver and Photoshop get slow at times. I have no problem with Illustrator or InDesign though. After my experience with using a dual G4 system there is no way I iwll purchase a single G4 system.

I worked on a dual 2GHz G5 system for a few months and that was comparable to my PC I own. We just received our new dual 1.8GHz G5 system with 1GB of ram at work, and there is a huge difference between that and the dual G4 system, they are side-by-side so it is easy to compare. I use the same software at home that I use at work, and apps run much better on my PC then the dual G4 system and about the same as on the dual G5 system.

I got used to how OS X allows for multiple windows from different apps to be right there, like how the dreamweaver 4 workspace is on the PC. That is why I wanted to get one.

For those who want a mac just to be able to use OS X, the novelty wears off rather quickly. For a media center, I'd rather put together a dedicated linux box for that, which can be done for easily less than $500. And my PC is an Intel 2.4GHz 533fsb with 512MB of pc2700 ram and a 64MB ti4200 vid card. So my PC is by no means a top of the line, but compared to a top of line mac it sticks right with it for running the Adobe CS apps which I have to use.

I'm somewhat undecided, but I've been wanting one for a while, so I probably will. I'll only need the Belkin KVM switch and I'm good to go. :)

What I want to know is if it will be upgradeable? I mean I can find parts for much cheaper than what they are charging on the Apple store. I can't find any pictures of a case lock or switch so Im thinking it may be sealed up tighter than a nun's ######.

What I want to know is if it will be upgradeable?  I mean I can find parts for much cheaper than what they are charging on the Apple store.  I can't find any pictures of a case lock or switch so Im thinking it may be sealed up tighter than a nun's ######.

585276715[/snapback]

http://www.apple.com/macmini/design.html

If you check that page, it shows a picture of the Mac mini opened up. It looks like you slide the top part upward to open it up.

If so, I'm buying this and a huge hard drive :)

i have no cd-rw on this dell inspiron 2600 and i'm desperate for a new comp

i was looking forward to this comp

and then realized the costs of monitors and such :-/

i'll wait and see.

well im gonna get a powerbook for college in bout a year and a half so i thinks ill get one of these, one cause i need a nice school computer in my room and i need to learn osx. And i actually raelly like it, lol. Ive already customized mine with more ram and an apple keyboard and mouse so im ready to go come the 22nd. i thinks ill do the montly payments since im unemployed but i do get money every once in a while, lol. It will be my first modern mac i guess one could say, i have a LCII and LCIII but i dont know if they count, heh

Excuse me, Mr. Jobs. I'd like to thank you, because you shut me up.

I will be purchasing a Mac Mini in February, and dumping my laptop to the first person to flash some cash. I've been a troll for many years, until now, I've become a poster-child for this campaign. I purchased an iPod, and I want more. I want to be a stereo-typical Macintosh money launderer. I want an iPod Shuffle, and I need a Mac.

If I didn't already have a couple Macs I would.....

But I think a lot of people will be turned off by this thing for the following reason: its small size. I know the size of a computer has little to do with its potential/power. But I feel the average consumer will think twice before spending $499 on such a physically small machine. When they see a big Dell, they think "Wow, that thing must be powerful." When they see the mini, they might ask "where's the rest?"

BTW, I own a G3 snow iBook and a PowerMac G3 B&W and I love them both.

Just my two cents

I am working on a project which involves a Mac driving a 52" HDTV. I was going to use a PowerMac, but the Mac mini seems to be perfect for this. :woot:

I also know at least 3 people who will get one once I tell them about it, and I might get one myself in a couple of months to match my 20" Cinema Display. :cool:

It's not a bad price and it would be interesting to play about on one... but I'll have to pass. That money could get me a nice new monitor and a graphics card.