Now that you've seen it: Are you gettin a Mac Mini

You gettin one?  

438 members have voted

1. 1. You gettin one?

• Yep, defo
    • No
    • Undecided.

i might try to convince my parents to replace their aging p3 1ghz with one of these, and i may even pick one up for myself one day, but i will definitely be getting an ipod shuffle. soon ;)

No. I don't think Mac has a broad enough software base for me.

You can get a more powerful PC from walmart  ($199USD)

Honestly, I have never wanted to use a mac and the release of this tiny thing will surely not convince me to do so.

585275297[/snapback]

What software category do you think the Mac is lacking it (there aren't as many games I know this obviously , although we are catching up) but name a few things that you might miss from using a PC?

What software category do you think the Mac is lacking it (there aren't as many games I know this obviously , although we are catching up) but name a few things that you might miss from using a PC?

585278185[/snapback]

you'll miss using windows on either pc. that walmart pc comes with linux.

how is that $200 walmart pc better than the $500 mac? the mac has double the ram, double the hard drive, a real video card, and a cd-rw/dvd. and hell, if you want to use windows, toss in another $200 since that is what you'll be paying for windows xp. now the price comes out to $500 vs $400. now which is the better buy? if you still think the wal-mart pc, i feel sorry for you.

So my PC is by no means a top of the line, but compared to a top of line mac it sticks right with it for running the Adobe CS apps which I have to use.

585276666[/snapback]

Thats because PS7 is much faster on macs in multiple things. PS7 on mac would smoke CS on pc/mac for alot of tasks.

*feels the urge even more to get one*

I need to keep a track of media centre apps for mac, i'm sold if there good.

I see the crybabies are out in full force. :rolleyes:

I want one badly. :cry:

The Mac Mini is everything I want in a Small Form Factor PC. I wonder if PS/2 to USB adaptors work with Macs. My mouse is USB but my keyboard is PS/2. :ermm: :unsure:

I was going to buy an iBook, but the mini is lighter,cheaper and has a larger hdd and I can keep using my 19" flatscreen with it. definitely going to make the switch from pc.

Its an allright design for the Mini Mac but not no where near as good as it could have been and its specs are not that good at all:

Inside the box is a PowerPC G4 processor clocked at either 1.25GHz or 1.42GHz, a 40 or 80GB hard drive, 256MB DDR SDRAM and ATI Radeon 9200 graphics chip with 32MB of dedicated DDR VRAM. It also can accommodate an Apple AirPort Extreme card for Wi-Fi networking using the IEEE 802.11g standard and an internal Bluetooth module -- available as a factory-installed option -- for communicating with thusly equipped cell phones, PDAs, printers and other devices. The Mac mini can be expanded with up to 1GB of PC2700 RAM as well. Apple representatives on the Expo show floor confirmed plans to certify 2GB PC2700 RAM for the system, as well.#

Unlike Apple's other consumer-oriented systems, the iMac G5 and the eMac, the Mac mini does not have a built-in monitor. It features a slot-loading CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo drive on the front, and on the back rests Ethernet, modem, DVI port, two USB 2.0 ports, a FireWire 400 connector and a headphone/line-out jack. A DVI to Video adapter is also included.

For people who havent seen what it looks like here you go:

macmini.jpg

I see the crybabies are out in full force. :rolleyes:

I want one badly. :cry:

The Mac Mini is everything I want in a Small Form Factor PC.  I wonder if PS/2 to USB adaptors work with Macs.  My mouse is USB but my keyboard is PS/2. :ermm:  :unsure:

585278505[/snapback]

I've used a USB-PS/2 adapter with my iBook before, and it works fine. The one I used was one of the ones with both a keyboard and mouse connection, GE brand, I think. Picked it up for like $5 at Big Lots.

No. The hard disks are way too small. I would expect 200GB.

585278553[/snapback]

In an entry level computer? Yeah, right. Look at the entry level computers from Dell, HP, and eMachines. Most of them have 40GB drives too. And of course, you could always hook up an external drive if you needed more space. The Mac mini has USB2 (which most other entry level computers have) and FireWire (which most others don't).

the specs of the mini put me off... but ?340 for the 1.2ghz is a very good price.. and 399 for the 1.4ghz isnt bad either

585278660[/snapback]

Looking at the specs of the system in your sig, you aren't the kind of person that Apple is marketing this to anyway. Why people fail to see that is beyond me.

I will for sure get one to replace my wife's computer (the Blue & White in my sig). She likes to play some games that the processor and the video card in hers just can't handle (no high end stuff, just things like CSI). A Mac mini would be perfect for her (and I'd probably use it occasionally too :) ). I was going to get her an upgraded Cube a while back, but this would be both faster and cheaper.

but if you're using VAT you need to first subract the US sales tax ;)

585275159[/snapback]

The prices shown in the UK include VAT, the prices shown in the US do NOT include tax (since sales tax is different in each state).

The main complaint is that the mac mini isn't even powerful enough to run features of OSX correctly and has no monitor...thats not a deal...its a ripoff

585275539[/snapback]

What the F*&K are you talking about? Both of my systems run OS X fine and they are FAR below the specs of the Mac mini.