Taskbar vs. Dock

167 members have voted

1. 1. Taskbar vs. Dock

• Windows XP Taskbar
    • Mac OS X Dock

Originally posted by spanky

I think it's fair to say that OSX?s aqua UI is aimed to appeal mainly to women and "girly" boys since they are the ones that usually get caught up on style. Sure it may have it?s features, but style is the first priority above all.

Where as Windows UI is pretty utilitarian and is aimed at making the job easier...all while still looking pretty good.

It?s just a matter of preference.

If you ask me it's very similar to the way people prefer different cars. You have the people that go out and buy a Volkswagen Beetle because it's so "cute"...Those kinds of people are greatly influenced by "cuteness" in my opinion kind of like Macheads.

Where as people like me, we like Jeeps because they kick ass...My Jeep is always muddy and I couldn't care less...I like kicking up mud on those darn little Volkswagen Beetles. .

Lets see, I do believe I have a Jeep, I do believe i find Volkswagen Beetles repulsive, I do believe my Jeep stays muddy, and I do believe I STILL PREFER OS X OVER WINDOWS! Wow, I'm such a "Girly" boy.

--dave

:Edit: "Repulsive" was spelled wrong.

Originally posted by deadzombie

Aaah, my friend Unsanity;

The taskbar includes the start menu, the task switcher and the notification area (system tray). And yes, although the dock looks 1000% better, the taskbar is simply more versatile both out of the box and with the addition of freeware.

ah everwise deadzombie, I see you mention freeware. Well Grasshoppa we have such freeware also

With freeware apps, the taskbar can support multiple desktops, full transparency, media player controls and menu launchers in addition to the start bar, to name a few.

have no need for multiple desktops yet with osxvnc can have as any as needed, full transparency can be achived through the dock as well or just at the background level which I would love to see done with an xp machine, media player controls are right out of the box and there are several menu launchers that can be launched off the dock OR the menu bar

Natively, the Taskbar supports high quality alpha blended icons (no animations, I admit :( ), taskswitch, quicklaunch, autohide, dragging to all 4 edges of the screen, address bar, app grouping, icon dragging, recent documents, highlighting of newly installed apps and access to ALL of Windows applications, including the ability to custom group those apps during the applications install (or later...), not to mention a multitude of custom folders at the users command...

everything that you mentioned can be done with the dock with the exception of the address bar, highlighting newly installed apps is useless since most people turn that off anyways as its annoying, not all apps for windows come with putting in a custom group during the install, and custom folders is something that can be done on both platforms.

The taskbar is the OSX dock and finder bar rolled into one easy access interface. And it takes up little resources while being used on over 89% of computer desktops worldwide, allowing instant user recognition and interaction.

Taskbar wins function, OSX wins the beauty pagent...

IMO!!!

the taskbar allows you to use the start menu, use quick launch, view your clock, and access the items you are using, the dock allows you to have custom folders which act like menus, pin to either the centre or edges of 3 areas of the screen, automatically resize it down if its too big, access your frequently used programs, autogroups the ones you are using, allows for customisation using pdf panels, and takes up little resources while having been seen by 70% of neowin of which 60% want a copy of.

I think Taskbar and Dock tie in function while OSX still wins the beauty contest :p

Originally posted by spanky

I think it's fair to say that OSX?s aqua UI is aimed to appeal mainly to women and "girly" boys since they are the ones that usually get caught up on style. Sure it may have it?s features, but style is the first priority above all.

Where as Windows UI is pretty utilitarian and is aimed at making the job easier...all while still looking pretty good.

If you ask me it's very similar to the way people prefer different cars. You have the people that go out and buy a Volkswagen Beetle because it's so "cute"...Those kinds of people are greatly influenced by "cuteness" in my opinion kind of like Macheads.

Where as people like me, we like Jeeps because they kick ass...My Jeep is always muddy and I couldn't care less...I like kicking up mud on those darn little Volkswagen Beetles. .

I like OS X and I own an Xterra, your analogy is retarded. What the **** does the type of car that you own have to do with your preference of OS?

Originally posted by sp00nman

Yeah, if you want to use this analogy, go ahead:

Lamborghini is to Taskbar

as

Volvo Stationwagon is to Dock.

Hands down, Taskbar wins. It's easily accessible, can be customized (we tWeAk!), is nice and small, and is fun to have. Game over, I win. :)

you sir, are obviously delusional. The taskbar is fun to have? Nice and small? Get out of fairyland, anyone that has used xp knows the taskbar is not nice and small nor is it fun to have.

"**** photoshop gimme that taskbar!"

Yeah, if you want to use this analogy, go ahead:

Lamborghini is to Taskbar

as

Volvo Stationwagon is to Dock.

Hands down, Taskbar wins. It's easily accessible, can be customized (we tWeAk!), is nice and small, and is fun to have. Game over, I win. :)

If I had a Lamborghini, I wouldn't work so hard to make it look like a Volvo Stationwagon, would you?

So, if that's the case, why do SOOOOO many Windows users try to emulate the dock on Windows? When Stardock had the Alpha of thier Dock, most of the Neowin population went kaka over it. Funny how I don't see many Mac users trying to emulate the Taskbar on OS X.

--dave

Originally posted by hkey_root

If I had a Lamborghini, I wouldn't work so hard to make it look like a Volvo Stationwagon, would you?

So, if that's the case, why do SOOOOO many Windows users try to emulate the dock on Windows? When Stardock had the Alpha of thier Dock, most of the Neowin population went kaka over it. Funny how I don't see many Mac users trying to emulate the Taskbar on OS X.

--dave

not me :p

Originally posted by Wickedkitten

ah everwise deadzombie, I see you mention freeware. Well Grasshoppa we have such freeware also

have no need for multiple desktops yet with osxvnc can have as any as needed, full transparency can be achived through the dock as well or just at the background level which I would love to see done with an xp machine, media player controls are right out of the box and there are several menu launchers that can be launched off the dock OR the menu bar

everything that you mentioned can be done with the dock with the exception of the address bar, highlighting newly installed apps is useless since most people turn that off anyways as its annoying, not all apps for windows come with putting in a custom group during the install, and custom folders is something that can be done on both platforms.

the taskbar allows you to use the start menu, use quick launch, view your clock, and access the items you are using, the dock allows you to have custom folders which act like menus, pin to either the centre or edges of 3 areas of the screen, automatically resize it down if its too big, access your frequently used programs, autogroups the ones you are using, allows for customisation using pdf panels, and takes up little resources while having been seen by 70% of neowin of which 60% want a copy of.

I think Taskbar and Dock tie in function while OSX still wins the beauty contest :p

As usual, you are correct on many of your points. I, personally do not care for the taskbar, as evidenced in the current screenshot of my WindowsXP desktop;

may13.jpg

I do, however hold to the simple truth that the taskbar is more efficeint than the dock simply because it performs the function of the dock and the finder bar. 2 for 1. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Interface? Beauty? Innovation? These things belong to the dock. The OSX dock, while not incorporating the features of the taskbar, leaves the taskbar in the dust. It is a look into the future of GUI interfaces.

IMO...

Originally posted by deadzombie

As usual, you are correct on many of your points. I, personally do not care for the taskbar, as evidenced in the current screenshot of my WindowsXP desktop;

may13.jpg

I do, however hold to the simple truth that the taskbar is more efficeint than the dock simply because it performs the function of the dock and the finder bar. 2 for 1. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Interface? Beauty? Innovation? These things belong to the dock. The OSX dock, while not incorporating the features of the taskbar, leaves the taskbar in the dust. It is a look into the future of GUI interfaces.

IMO...

heheheh we will have to agree to disagree cos the dock performs the same function as the quick launch, open tasks, and the start menu.

Originally posted by Wickedkitten

you sir, are obviously delusional. The taskbar is fun to have? Nice and small? Get out of fairyland, anyone that has used xp knows the taskbar is not nice and small nor is it fun to have.

"**** photoshop gimme that taskbar!"

Delusional? Because I prefer the taskbar over the dock? It's personal preference, "you sir." The "it's fun to have" part was just something I put there for giggles, fyi.

The taskbar IS nice and small, and is easy to use. I'm not in a "fairyland," I'm in the mainstream world where WINDOWS dominates. And I have XP, and I can tell you this: THE TASKBAR IS NICE AND SMALL, AND IS VERY FUN TO HAVE. :)

So the next time you disagree with what somebody believes in, think before you say something. Just remember that you're not the only person in this world and that there are other people out there with opinions that are at just as equal in value as your own. :p :p :p :p

Originally posted by hkey_root

--dave

I've never tried to emulate the dock, personally.

You don't see mac people emulating the windows taskbar, because they already have their own version of one! doh! These windows people went "kaka" over the dock because it was something new and everyone loves to tweak their operating systems. I'll tell you this: the dock looks cool and everything, I admit, but the xp taskbar is just simply better! And before you go nuts on me, remember that this is my opinion... so don't argue with me because their isn't a right/wrong answer to all of this!

Originally posted by unsanity

go back to chi land osx OWNZ. Why you think ms had to rip so much crap off it if ;)

Just because the majority of people out in the world prefer Windows over Mac doesn't mean you need to cry about it. :p

Note: This is all for fun guys, I'm not meaning to start an argument with anybody... Just playing around with you guys. No need to be offensive or anything... just an OS. Mac/Windows; Dock/Taskbar = it's a war that can't be resolved. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and their isn't a right/wrong answer. It's just a personal preference.

to be honest i like the mac interface, but i like the xp icons better, mac looks so futuristic than xp, i cant wait 2 see what longhorn will really look like, or blackcomb

thanks for the name calling chris ;) as if anyone didn't know that already.

and well you can just port them over easier than porting osx to xp. so fast so simple and DRAG AND DROP! lol

One button mouse people impressed by the shiny colors - oh, wasn't it Timan that was telling me last week that the dock was a big fat annoyance? [quoting conversation] "After you get used to the animation all it does is get in the way..." [unquote]

Jeez, spend a week in a forum with a bunch of mindless mac heads and a person comes out brain washed...

...and sorry, but old iMacs aren't l33t...kids gut them and use them for backpacks nowadays...

Delusional? Because I prefer the taskbar over the dock? It's personal preference, "you sir." The "it's fun to have" part was just something I put there for giggles, fyi.

The taskbar IS nice and small, and is easy to use. I'm not in a "fairyland," I'm in the mainstream world where WINDOWS dominates. And I have XP, and I can tell you this: THE TASKBAR IS NICE AND SMALL, AND IS VERY FUN TO HAVE. :)

So the next time you disagree with what somebody believes in, think before you say something. Just remember that you're not the only person in this world and that there are other people out there with opinions that are at just as equal in value as your own. :p :p :p :p

ah but you are missing one point here, windows does not dominate the mainstream world. maybe the us market most certainly where people use what they know, but for the rest of the world about 70% of it is run off *nix. As a matter of fact around 60% of the computers used in Japan are made by Apple.

I'm not disagreeing with your opinion, I'm disagreeing with your statement that the taskbar is nice and small and fun to have. I have used windows xp ever since last year in april and as with the same taskbar scheme ever since 95 its not small, its not nice, and its not fun, its just there.

Just because the majority of people out in the world prefer Windows over Mac doesn't mean you need to cry about it.

Actually, I don't think most of the world realize they have a choice.

One button mouse people impressed by the shiny colors - oh, wasn't it Timan that was telling me last week that the dock was a big fat annoyance? [quoting conversation]"After you get used to the animation all it does is get in the way..." [unquote]

More like a couple months, and yes i said that, all i have to do is turn mag off and problem solved.

And how about you all stop trying to make windows something its not and something it will never be? Want it to look like a mac get a mac even if its a Apple II or something least its the real deal instead of a knock off. Out of all people you can't say anything about the dock. seeing your the one making a desktopx one am i right?

Stuff like this can't be done Taskbar vs. Dock. Unless you have both on the same platform!

sp00nman, i'm not going to go nuts on you, but you made some points I want to refute.

I've never tried to emulate the dock, personally.

You don't see mac people emulating the windows taskbar, because they already have their own version of one! doh!

That is kinda a circular defination there bud. The mac people have thier own version of the taskbar which would be called the dock. So the windows people have thier own version of the dock...which, SURPRISE, is called the taskbar. So, my point still remains, there are many windows users trying to emulate the dock, but virtually no (if any) mac users trying to emulate the taskbar.

Originally posted by sp00nmanThese windows people went "kaka" over the dock because it was something new and everyone loves to tweak their operating systems. I'll tell you this: the dock looks cool and everything, I admit, but the xp taskbar is just simply better! And before you go nuts on me, remember that this is my opinion... so don't argue with me because their isn't a right/wrong answer to all of this!

The dock is new to the windows people, the taskbar would be new to the mac users, another circular defination. You have been using a PC for a good long while, because you think the taskbar is old old old, and the dock is new new new, the dock is old to mac users, but they aren't trying to emulate the taskbar because the dock is old. The taskbar is not old to people who use a mac because :o they use a mac, not a PC.

And right, there isn't a right/wrong answer to all of this, everyone has thier own opinion, and most likely people who have macs will choose a dock over a taskbar, and PC users will choose a taskbar over a dock.

--dave