• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mac OS X Tiger News?

PureLogic    0
I think I know what you mean...

585457888[/snapback]

lol, Longhorn does sound pathetic. It probably symbolizes what we can expect from it :p

Xer34    0
lol, Longhorn does sound pathetic. It probably symbolizes what we can expect from it :p

585457910[/snapback]

:laugh: Come now, dont rag on MS. We always yell at the trolls for ragging on Mac's, we have to resist becoming one of them.

threetonesun    1,204

Longhorn is cool if you're from Texas...

They should just drop the numbers after X all together, just call it OS. And then, the one after that can be OS/2. Orrrrr..... maybe not.

macman87    0

The 'codenames' of Mac OS X is so well known now days its not even a 'codename' - more like a nickname for the final OS. Its better to say 'Panther' than just saying 'Mac OS 10.3' or 'Jag(wire)' for 'Mac OS 10.2'. The codename 'Longhorn' isn't suppose to sound cool. I bet Apple's internal codename for Tiger is just as 'bad' or even worse.

PureLogic    0
The 'codenames' of Mac OS X is so well known now days its not even a 'codename' - more like a nickname for the final OS. Its better to say 'Panther' than just saying 'Mac OS 10.3' or 'Jag(wire)' for 'Mac OS 10.2'. The codename 'Longhorn' isn't suppose to sound cool. I bet Apple's internal codename for Tiger is just as 'bad' or even worse.

585460681[/snapback]

They should make it cool. The big difference is that the public doesn't know the real codename of Tiger (if here is one) but we DO know the codenames of every Windows version. And Longhorn doesn't particularly sound like a new state-of-the-art operating system, to say the least. :laugh:

mac15    0
Even at Keynotes it's called Mac OS X instead of Mac OS 10. They should stick with Roman numbers, looks cool :)

585457544[/snapback]

I've never heard anybody from Apple call it Mac OS exx, its' Mac OS Ten

Rudy    457
They should make it cool. The big difference is that the public doesn't know the real codename of Tiger (if here is one) but we DO know the codenames of every Windows version. And Longhorn doesn't particularly sound like a new state-of-the-art operating system, to say the least. :laugh:

585461082[/snapback]

Whistler was pretty cool though, i wish they would have kept the name....way better than xp :(

macman87    0

585461082[/snapback]

People don't call Windows 2000 or Windows 98 or Windows 95 by the codename. But in the Mac scene everyone knows what Panther/Jaguar is. Its used a nickname and not a codename.

Yes, Longhorn doesn't sound revolutionary and may sound like its just another codename, but that doesn't matter to the end user; the people who will by Longhorn won't know that it was called longhorn. The developers (the ones who need to know) know that LH is revolutionary). Microsoft isn't putting 'Longhorn' on their boxes of the next version of Windows.

With Apple, they promote the product to Macworld attendees and the general Mac community with the name 'Tiger' for Mac OS X. They are putting 'Tiger' on the boxes of software. So it must sound cool and trendy. You didn't see Apple promoting OS 9 codenames did you? And anyway, Apple is the best when it comes to names IMO and Microsoft sucks, but that doesn't necessarily mean the software is bad (usually does!)

PureLogic    0

585461403[/snapback]

I did on several occasions...

@Phillip

I know Microsoft doesn't put Longhorn on their boxes, but thanks for pointing that out. I'm not a developer and most of us aren't but we still know it's called Longhorn. We use the name Longhorn for 4 years (2002-2006). When people are talking about the next Windows OS they're talking about Longhorn, not about "the-next-Windows-OS-that-will-be-released-in-2006". You should promote your system before it's out, and that's exactly what Apple does. ;)

MacMAK    0

I dont know if this has been mentioned here or not but Tiger is coming out the first quater of this year, that means anytime now. I got this source from a Mac guy at my local apple store. They do not know the exact date (they do but cant tell) but one guy told me that to be ready for when it comes out soon.

dougal.s    0

Really looking forward to getting Tiger! :)

If OS X is a ten yera project, what is the OS that comes after going to be called? XI??

If they continue the naming the same after that, OS XII could get confused with X11! :p

Dougal.

MacMAK    0

If you want to waste your cash you can best test tiger and get used to it, but i dont think thats worth it.

macman87    0
Really looking forward to getting Tiger! :)

If OS X is a ten yera project, what is the OS that comes after going to be called? XI??

If they continue the naming the same after that, OS XII could get confused with X11! :p

Dougal.

585481097[/snapback]

How about Mac OS 11?

Wickedkitten    12

585461403[/snapback]

Steve says it himself.

That being said

tiger-box-l.jpg

Rudy    457
I dont know if this has been mentioned here or not but Tiger is coming out the first quater of this year, that means anytime now.? I got this source from a Mac guy at my local apple store.? They do not know the exact date (they do but cant tell) but one guy told me that to be ready for when it comes out soon.

585480970[/snapback]

i thought it was supposed to be the first HALF of this year (before june).... im not 100% about this though

edit: well i guess i was right lol, just read wickedkitten's post

Hills420    0

I'm going to buy a Mac mini and was wondering if you guys thought I should wait for Tiger to be final before the purchase? Not that I'm a cheapass but if I want to buy a low priced Mac, I don't want to shell out an additional $129 a month later.

Vice    1,593

I would wait if I was you Tiger is not that far off and it will be worth the wait for getting it for free.

chillaaa    2

Looks like im waiting to sell off my cube and get a mini to replace it then. Tiger shall be sexy as!

sundayx    127

os10.5 liger? :cool:

binkgle    0

10.5 will be "leopard" or "cheetah", probably. though it might be something really nice, like "lynx".

about this coreimage part of tiger, i assume it'll use a good bit of gfx processing power. so a mini or ibook's 32mb radeon 9200 probably wouldn't be able to take it. is this true? i wouldn't be afraid for the geforce fx 5200s in the imac g5s, cause the weakness of those chips is in directx, which apple doesn't use. they should be fine, but i'm eyeing those ibooks......

sundayx    127

dude no. cheetah is used, and theres prob a 2 year gap between tiger and the next os10 release so its either a fast animal name again or os11?!

Matt T    0

Do Apple have any plans to ship iMacs with Tiger when it comes out?

Djmutik1013    0

585530654[/snapback]

I would believe so

macman87    0

585530654[/snapback]

All Macs will ship with tiger when it finally comes out.

PureLogic    0

585530654[/snapback]

No! When Tiger hits RTM all Macs will ship with Mac OS 10.1 again! :p

Yeah of course they will ship with Mac OS 10.4 :)