Mac OS X Tiger News?

10.5 will be "leopard" or "cheetah", probably. though it might be something really nice, like "lynx". 

about this coreimage part of tiger, i assume it'll use a good bit of gfx processing power.  so a mini or ibook's 32mb radeon 9200 probably wouldn't be able to take it.  is this true?  i wouldn't be afraid for the geforce fx 5200s in the imac g5s, cause the weakness of those chips is in directx, which apple doesn't use.  they should be fine, but i'm eyeing those ibooks......

585530513[/snapback]

Those that are able to beta test it on the mini's and iBook's say it doesn't do the ripple effect in Dashboard which is part of core image. I don't know if that means that no core image OS effects will work or if just some.

Jeez, people want this "ripple effect" so bad. I'm not really to concerned with it but I do want it to perform like the way it should. I hope Apple does something about this because lots of people bought the Mini and the iBook, they can't just leave them hanging.

It's not really about Tiger peforming how it should, just what the video card is capable of. Tiger's made to take advantage of different video cards, instead of catering to just one or the other. If a lower one can just do some ripple effect but can do virtually everything else, is it really that bad?

Jeez, people want this "ripple effect" so bad. I'm not really to concerned with it but I do want it to perform like the way it should. I hope Apple does something about this because lots of people bought the Mini and the iBook, they can't just leave them hanging.

585543768[/snapback]

Its not just about 'the ripple effect'. Its not being able to run CoreImage. With CoreImage and CoreVideo you can do stuff thats in Motion in real time, throughout OS X. So someone brilliant could supposedly right a program that does image manipulation and their can take advantage of the built in filters in Tiger that would run in Real time. You gotta see last years WWDC video. It has the CoreImage and CoreVideo demo in it and it looks awesome.

I understand what your saying but the average person isn't going to benefit from CoreImage and CoreVideo. Also your iBook and MacMini users are average users, however the PowerMac and PowerBook users can benefit because they are the "pro" users and it would apply to them. IMO they are more interested in the eyecandy.

I understand what your saying but the average person isn't going to benefit from CoreImage and CoreVideo. Also your iBook and MacMini users are average users, however the PowerMac and PowerBook users can benefit because they are the "pro" users and it would apply to them. IMO they are more interested in the eyecandy.

585547578[/snapback]

'Average' users can take advantage of the better user experience. :yes:

It probably just comes down to the video cards on iBooks/MacMini's simply can't handle the updated effects without a significant performance hit. I'm sure if Apple could put them on all their newer systems they would because it is a selling tool, especially for the Mac masses. But they also don't want to make an interface that runs choppy like a bad game.

I am a newie to MacOS X. I just bought myself a PowerBook G4 and ill never go back to Windows (have used Windows all my life, bought my powerbook this week!). Just wanted to know what the "ripple" effect is cause i have no idea and is this a new feature coming in Tiger?

Also, i never knew that MacOS X meant v10... I thought it was just a cool name for the new MacOS. I refer to it as Panther. I hope they keep the name MacOS X, changing only the name from Panther to Tiger etc. I reckon that Lynx (as someone posted before) sounds really cool for v10.5.

I love MacOS and cant beleive how many usefull cool features are included. Windows users have no idea what their missing until they try a MacOS!

I am a newie to MacOS X. I just bought myself a PowerBook G4 and ill never go back to Windows (have used Windows all my life, bought my powerbook this week!). Just wanted to know what the "ripple" effect is cause i have no idea and is this a new feature coming in Tiger?

Also, i never knew that MacOS X meant v10... I thought it was just a cool name for the new MacOS. I refer to it as Panther. I hope they keep the name MacOS X, changing only the name from Panther to Tiger etc. I reckon that Lynx (as someone posted before) sounds really cool for v10.5.

I love MacOS and cant beleive how many usefull cool features are included. Windows users have no idea what their missing until they try a MacOS!

585572498[/snapback]

The ripple effect is just a fun little feature in Tiger. It does the ripple effect when a Dashboard widget "drops" onto the Dashboard workspace.

You can also see the ripple effect in Keynote 2 right now. I attached a test movie so you could see it, though the movie's a bit low quality. It looks a lot smoother when it's running natively.

droplet.mov

About the "performance hit" of Core Image, that has nothing to do with it when talking about the iBook and the Mac mini. It's that the Radeon 9200 doesn't support the right technologies (I think Pixel Shader 2.0) so it can't do all the cool effects.

Edited by jagedEdge

i've just bought a mini, and I'm not an average user, just a user with a budget.

I just wish Apple would offer Mini users some sort of compensation or (mini discount)

I'm sure alot of new switchers would be mad.

i've just bought a mini, and I'm not an average user, just a user with a budget.

I just wish Apple would offer Mini users some sort of compensation or (mini discount)

I'm sure alot of new switchers would be mad.

585572564[/snapback]

It's not like Core Image is just going to stop working. It'll just reduce what effects it can do so your card won't wonder what the hell it's receiving from OS X and just choke. That's the beauty of Core Image.

I just tried the latest build of Tiger. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the fact that I was running it off of my iPod, but it was quite unstable. I ran it for about an hour and it ended up crashing and I had to use the power button to turn off the computer. This makes me think that Tiger will not be released anytime soon.

The graphing calculator is wiched though. And the interface of Mail 2 is better than I imagined from the screenshots.

I just tried the latest build of Tiger. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the fact that I was running it off of my iPod, but it was quite unstable. I ran it for about an hour and it ended up crashing and I had to use the power button to turn off the computer. This makes me think that Tiger will not be released anytime soon.

The graphing calculator is wiched though. And the interface of Mail 2 is better than I imagined from the screenshots.

585574148[/snapback]

what is the latest build anyways?

585574148[/snapback]

That doesn't mean anything. The last beta builds of Panther where extremely unstable too... And yeah Mail 2.0 rulez and it's getting better by the build, I miss it every time when going back to Panther! :(

How is Mail 2 better compare to Mail? I haven't spent enough time on Tiger to know it.

585574234[/snapback]

Smart folders, spotlight integration. But for me it's mostly the dramatic interface change from Mail 1.3, I love the way Mail 2.0 looks.

585574148[/snapback]

I have ran Tiger on the iPod as well and it doesn't compare to running it on a proper Firewire HDD. Tiger feels slower then Panther on the iPod, but when it comes to running it on the HDD it screams.

isnt running an OS from your little ipod hard-drive a sure fire way to kill it within weeks? Thats what I read? Something to do with the access laser working too hard compared to when its reading music... ?

Something to do with the access laser working too hard compared to when its reading music... ?

585600714[/snapback]

Hardrives dont use lasers :D

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger to arrive in April

Apple will officially announce Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger's release at an event in early April and will begin shipping the operating system within two or three weeks afterwards, Think Secret has learned. Apple has previously only stated that Tiger will ship during the first half of the 2005

Source: ThinkSecret

Do you think its true ? I hope it is that will be awesome :devil: