The 2005 Baseball Thread

I was at the game - everyone went absoutly crazy after that

I will say that save at the end was perfect. They did the same thing 2 weeks ago vs the angles in the ALCS to win 2-1

amazing game

damn, what a game.  a grand slam to take the lead, then you blow the lead, then you win it with a walkoff.  gotta love october.

586717222[/snapback]

Yeah, Ozzy should have pulled Bobby right after he walked the second guy. He obviously wasnt pitching that gread

As an Astros fan, I have this to say: The umps DID NOT BLOW THE GAME. Hey Wheeler, how about not walking Iguchi to get to Dye! You get two outs and the walk the one hitter that has not done much this postseason. Inexcusable. And Biggio, how about letting the right fielder catch a ball every now and then huh? You had to backpedal, reach over your head, and behind you a bit. Regardless of the rules, that was an ERROR, and a free run. Glad we are coming back home for three. We have to sweep these three. No excuses, just results.

On another note, why was that game even played in that weather? I wonder if it had not been the WS, would the umps have called it.

As an Astros fan, I have this to say:  The umps DID NOT BLOW THE GAME.  Hey Wheeler, how about not walking Iguchi to get to Dye!  You get two outs and the walk the one hitter that has not done much this postseason.  Inexcusable.  And Biggio, how about letting the right fielder catch a ball every now and then huh?  You had to backpedal, reach over your head, and behind you a bit.  Regardless of the rules, that was an ERROR, and a free run.  Glad we are coming back home for three.  We have to sweep these three.  No excuses, just results. 

On another note, why was that game even played in that weather?  I wonder if it had not been the WS, would the umps have called it.

586718844[/snapback]

great post...just because a call was blown does not mean that a grand slam gets hit.

also if the game was not a world series game it wouldn't have been played...too much ad money to not play.

Yeah my dad and I were discussing the weather part too. I was a bit surprised they didn't at least stop play for a while to see if the weather would improve. I knew they wouldn't call it but, o well. My dad said that he read somewhere that the stadium could take two inches of rain and be dry in 20 minutes with the drainage system they installed so I guess they knew what they were doing. BUt yeah I definitely think if it wasn't a WS game they would have at least called play for a while. Amazing game though. Scott Podsednik of all people hitting a wlak-off homerun? Crazy. This has definitely been a great series so far despite the lack of a "marquee" team.

the head groundskeeper for the sox is hired by all the other teams to install their infields. When they redid Fenway and the new Busch stadium are just a few...so that is a definite testament that the game should have been delayed but it wasn't cause he is so good.

the head groundskeeper for the sox is hired by all the other teams to install their infields. When they redid Fenway and the new Busch stadium are just a few...so that is a definite testament that the game should have been delayed but it wasn't cause he is so good.

"Roger Bossard, head groundskeeper for the Chicago White Sox, has been in the sportsfield business for over 35 years. He is a world-renowned designer and builder with several prominent projects throughout the world, including six of the last 10 Major League Baseball fields in the U.S."

source

I do too, but its MLBs call. I personally hate the roof. Baseball is made to play outside. It should always be open. If a player can't get motivated for the World Series without a loud crowd then they have other problems.

BTW, you can't open the roof on the Astrodome. Minute Maid Park can. :)

Ummmmm anyone else think the fireworks for a first inning rbi single are a bit of overkill? lol

586725097[/snapback]

lol... didn't see it, but yes its overkill.

About the roof, I agree the Astros should be able to decide, but I also think baseball should be played outside (unless the weather is bad of course). Oh well, the didn't have much of a choice in the end

I'm disappointed they brought Scooter back. Dumbest animated little tool ever. And they used him to explain a fastball of all pitches! If you don't know what a fastball is you shouldn't be watching baseball, period. lol

Yea, I just saw that and was like WTF...

Joe Buck being a tool again-> He just said that homerun hit to the left of the yellow line and should have been fair. I replayed the replay that they showed with the blue circle he drew - the ball does not hit in that area!!! It clearly hit to the right of the yellow line. I zoomed in on my HDTV and watched it a few times.

EDIT: He just said it again and blew up the replay but did NOT show the ball bouncing off the wall, just shows the ball at an angle that might suggest it hit to the left, what **** poor coverage!

Edited by Snipe

Man, I'm glad I'm not a fan of either of these teams. These games would be enough to give me a nervous breakdown. Some great finishes and looks like we're headed for another tonight.

are you sure that ball was a HR? looked like it was clearly to the left (in play) in the replay the showed.

sure baseball is meant to be played outside, but it's not like the astros went and demanded that the sox build a roof cuz it was raining outside.

did the weather in chicago favor the sox? probably. so isn't it fair that the astros get to do what favors them?

I am 100% positive it hit the wall about 6" to the right of the yellow paint.

Man, I'm glad I'm not a fan of either of these teams. These games would be enough to give me a nervous breakdown. Some great finishes and looks like we're headed for another tonight.

586725737[/snapback]

I live in Houston, but am not a huge baseball fan. I went to 1 game this year, have to root for the home team!!! There are plenty of people that I work with who are crazy Astros fans!!!!!!

I am a crazy LSU fan, football gets me worked up big time, that does enough for my heart - 2 overtime games and one game won on a 4th down TD pass so far this year, but that's a whole other topic. :wacko: I am not going to let myself get worked up over the Astros lol!

Edited by Snipe

You're wrong (and I'm from Houston)....

BUT... the White Sox have gotten plenty of breaks, including an open roof at Minutemaid.

586725853[/snapback]

nope, I checked it out thoroughly.

O geez, why won;t this game eeeeend? It's getting late here on the East Coast don't these people know that lol? I have to wake up in about 5 and a half hours for work.

OOOOO Geoff Blum with the dagger.

Edited by bigbluepride35

well I'm a sox fan so I'm glad the sox caught the breaks they have

BUT BUT BUT just because you catch those breaks does not automatically mean you capitalize on them.

The errors and ump calls did not make Iguchi, Konerko, or Crede get the hits they did to win those games.

Good teams capitalize on what's given to them.

Also an open roof does not win or lose a game for a team...the players on the field do.

yes!!... the sox are going to sweep 4-0... ooo im so happy right now... Although i wish they would win in chicago for the home crowd but a win is a win and a championship is a championship! 1 more game... 1 more game...