• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

The 2005 Baseball Thread

BroChaos    1

it's stupid to have both games at the same time, but they were both on, you just had to switch to FX.

when they showed the zoom in of the ball, it looked like it hit dirt to me, and was at least a trap. i don't think the lip of his glove got underneath.

it really annoyed me how the announcers made it sound like it was the easiest call ever. it was damn close, and i think the umps got it right.

either way, after all the BS calls the angels got in their favor against the yankees, i'm glad to finally see one go against them.

BroChaos    1

i forget the catchers name, but it wasn't molina. john or jerry something.

man, they showed it again, i still think it hit dirt. just inside the tip of the glove. i wish i had a catchers glove, all i have is a fielders and 1st base.

now they are interviewing all the angels fans, and they are saying the sox don't deserve it, it's tainted, cheaters, bla bla bla.

how quickly they forget the 2 or 3 gifts the umps gave them in the yanks series.

plus, it's like the thing with the cubs 2 years ago, the catcher should've tagged or thrown jsut to be safe, and then the pitcher still gave up the double off the wall. it wasn't like the ump gave them a run, it still had to be earned.

bigbluepride35    0
it's stupid to have both games at the same time, but they were both on, you just had to switch to FX.?

either way, after all the BS calls the angels got in their favor against the yankees, i'm glad to finally see one go against them.

586664533[/snapback]

See above, I don't have FX lol.

And yeah the call, I was thinking karma for the Cano running out of the basepath call lol. But to me it did look like a catch. I mean most cathcers throw down to first by instinct when they know it hit the dirt and Molina sure seemed to think he caught it. And again the ump gave what I always thought to be the strike-out sign not just that he swung and missed. Either way they need to take the umps back to umpire school. Not just for this call.

Circaflex    3,633

of course its someone like a jerkoff pierzynski to be the one envolved

bigbluepride35    0
i forget the catchers name, but it wasn't molina.

586664558[/snapback]

Just realized that. Josh Paul. Why in the hell wasn't Molina in there anyway? Isn't he one of the best defensive catchers? The cathcer definitely should have just put the tag on to be safe. Bad mistake.

And I still see a catch lol. Either way a bad way to end a game.

Meh whatever, I'm pulling for the Cards anyway. I just want to see a good series lol.

O the Angels have too many Molinas. This is what happens when you turn the game on in the 9th. Bengie, the great defensive cather was DH'ing so brother Jose was catching and then they took him out for the Paul dude. Got it now. Still don't know why Bengie wasn't catching. Is he hurting or something?

Angels didn't give up an earned run lol. Insanity.

Edited by bigbluepride35

KOOLBOY    0

i dont know about u guys but the playoffs arent the same without the yankees

greatestfall    0
i dont know about u guys but the playoffs arent the same without the yankees

586664915[/snapback]

yeah, they're better.

:D

KOOLBOY    0

i just want the white sox to win it all.

stncttr908    0
i just want the white sox to win it all.

586664927[/snapback]

Why, because it would kill you to see the team that put you out win? ;)

I'm just kidding. I'm behind the Sox since it's been almost 80 years while the Angels won it all only three years back.

I must say that I enjoy the playoffs ten-fold when the Yankees are eliminated.

saotome6    0

That was BS. Angels win the series though I hate both chicago teams especially the cubs :yes: another team that sucks the yankees haha go ahead cry lol

bigbluepride35    0

Regardless of how you think that play should have turned out I think they need universal signs like in football. Each ump has his own little nuances and it can drive a player insane trying to keep track of who has witch sign. That Eddings guy uses what I always took for an "out" sign as a strike sign (the fist pump). That's why I thought the play was so nuts. Because once he pumped that fist I thought it was an out. For the amjority of umps I've seen it would have been. Anyway, yeah I think that would solve any problem like this. Get all the umps together for a two hour class go over all hand signs and what they need to do on a ball in the dirt. WHter it's yell "no catch" or what-not. Consistency can go a long way in preventing things like this from happening in the future.

BroChaos    1

i agree. it's an ump training problem. every ump tries to look cool, and do his own thing. they need to all have the exact same calls. just like in the NFL.

IlliniPi    0

My father was an umpire for 8 years for high school and collegiate baseball. He said one of the first things a home plate ump learns is to never call an out. The move that was made by the homeplate umpire was to signal strike 3. Never will you hear a MLB home plate ump call an out. Umpires said on the postgame press conference that they looked at the replay several times, enhanced it and everything, and the video was inconclusive to change the call. Officials said they saw the ball change direction, which would give the impression that it definitely did hit the ground.

Anyways, I though Mike Scioscia was very classy in the fact that he never blamed the game on the last call. Angels had more than enough chances to score earlier in the game and couldn't come through. But I'm sitting here saying the same thing as the Sox left 7 on base, including a bases load with 2 outs.

I also noticed that two former White Sox players (Tony Graffanino and now Josh Paul) have made costly errors in favor of the White Sox. Conspiracy maybe? :laugh:

Toxikk    0

i just love how they ended it right after that call.

i do like your point about the ump calling an out.

Hupp    0

the ump was consistant the entire game with his strike out/in the dirt calls and motions with his hands. this did not win the game for the whitesox, just like the bad calls earlier didn't lose the game for the whitesox ( ie.. crede getting doubled up on 2nd base..bull****). But this is the game, and the angels could of still got the crede out or not let the whitesox steal 2nd base...

Toxikk    0
yeah, i was watching the baseball tonight crew just a little bit ago, and they all thought the call was correct, but his mechanic for calling strike 3 was unusual. 

this is in contrast to all the retarded fox announcers who said it was 100% completely obvious that it was a clear as day catch.  those guys were so annoying.  no matter how certain you are of what it was, it was still a close call nonetheless.  refs are always gonna make bad calls, but the golden rule is you play until the whistle.  the ump never said out, just called strike 3, so the catcher has to know that the play is still alive, no matter how certain he was he caught it.

586668375[/snapback]

exactly! just like kevin jones picking up the "fumble" from harrington and running for 30 yards.

bad call. heads up play. play reviewed, play stands.

heads up play DAWG!

Detroit Lions at 07:58

1-10-DET39 (7:58) J.Harrington pass incomplete to R.Williams (S.Rolle).

2-10-DET39 (7:52) K.Jones up the middle to DET 42 for 3 yards (T.Polley).

3-7-DET42 (7:10) J.Harrington pass to R.Williams to BLT 46 for 12 yards (W.Demps).

1-10-BAL46 (6:26) K.Jones right tackle to BLT 43 for 3 yards (R.Lewis).

2-7-BAL43 (5:49) J.Harrington pass incomplete to M.Williams.

3-7-BAL43 (5:45) J.Harrington pass to S.Bryson pushed ob at BLT 25 for 18 yards (E.Reed).

1-10-BAL25 (5:26) J.Harrington sacked at BLT 31 for -6 yards. FUMBLES, recovered by DET-K.Jones at BLT 29. K.Jones to BLT 2 for 27 yards (E.Reed). Play Challenged by BLT and Upheld. (Timeout #1 by BLT.)

1-2-BAL2 (5:21) K.Jones up the middle to BLT 1 for 1 yard (T.Suggs; B.Scott).

2-1-BAL1 (4:44) K.Jones left tackle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

J.Hanson extra point is GOOD, Center-J.Maese, Holder-N.Harris.

BAL 0  DET 14,  Plays: 9  Yards: 61  Possession: 3:18.

diff sport, same drama. gotta love it.

BroChaos    1

yeah, i was watching the baseball tonight crew just a little bit ago, and they all thought the call was correct, but his mechanic for calling strike 3 was unusual.

this is in contrast to all the retarded fox announcers who said it was 100% completely obvious that it was a clear as day catch. those guys were so annoying. no matter how certain you are of what it was, it was still a close call nonetheless. refs are always gonna make bad calls, but the golden rule is you play until the whistle. the ump never said out, just called strike 3, so the catcher has to know that the play is still alive, no matter how certain he was he caught it.

....    0

The thing is....the ball ended up in the middle of the catcher's glove....meaning it bounced upwards.

At anyrate.. 1-1.

Go Sox

BroChaos    1
exactly! just like kevin jones picking up the "fumble" from harrington and running for 30 yards.

bad call. heads up play. play reviewed, play stands.

heads up play DAWG!

diff sport, same drama. gotta love it.

586668391[/snapback]

exactly....refs are gonna make bad calls. every sport. they always have, they always will. even if harrington's arm WAS going forward, the ref didn't blow the whistle, so you keep playing.

the only thing uncertain here is that there is no official call for balls in the dirt. some umps say something, some don't. they should become uniform in their calls.

bangbang023    31

I'm going for the Astros since they have two ex likeable Yanks on their staff. I sure do miss the Yanks though.

bigbluepride35    0

I never knew umps don't call "out." So are catchers supposed to turn around each time to see what hnad signal he makes after a ball that is close to the dirt? I always here umps calling strikes. Never realized they didn't call "out." Seems like it would be a good idea to do that actually. Any idea why they're not supposed to?

edit> That question's directed at IlliniPi, btw.

Tuffgong4    0

was at the game of the controversial call and nobody in the stands knew what was going on, we just saw A.J. at first...

but the best part of the night was a guy from the band Rusted Root played before the game and then said something about how he loves Chicago or something and then said "go Red Sox!!!!"

it was awful and pitiful and hysterical all at the same time

BroChaos    1
was at the game of the controversial call and nobody in the stands knew what was going on, we just saw A.J. at first...

but the best part of the night was a guy from the band Rusted Root played before the game and then said something about how he loves Chicago or something and then said "go Red Sox!!!!"

it was awful and pitiful and hysterical all at the same time

586673227[/snapback]

oh man, rusted root is one of my favorite bands...that's really embarassing, i feel bad for mike.

Tuffgong4    0

big game tonite for the sox. maybe a 5th straight outstanding start for their pitchers?

bigbluepride35    0

Wow the ChiSox have insane starting pitching (in case you didn't know yet lol). THey pitched 44 and one-third of 45 innings. Absolutely owned the Angels. I did not expect that. Crazy good.