• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

The 2005 Baseball Thread

bigbluepride35    0

I can't believe the BoSox got swept. I mean losing is one thing but going out like THAT? Makes ya wonder how good the ChiSox really are.

nemo    0
I can't believe the BoSox got swept. I mean losing is one thing but going out like THAT? Makes ya wonder how good the ChiSox really are.

586639999[/snapback]

... or how bad the BoSox really are. :shifty: :o :happy:

Tuffgong4    0
... or how bad the BoSox really are.  :shifty:  :o  :happy:

586642294[/snapback]

the white sox pitching shut down the best offense in baseball. 162 games of leading the entire MLB in almost every offensive category and then getting shut down does not show a bad team. It shows a team that was shut down.

Now on the other hand the Red Sox pitching is very very poor. And the White Sox offense is avg at best. They may not have the stats but they execute most of the time.

This was supposed to be a battle of Boston Offense vs. Chicago Pitching. And this one went to the White Sox.

I will never say the white sox will win it all or will win the next series (eventhough I hope they will), but they took down a very good offense.

BroChaos    1

wow, houston came back to tie it in the bottom of the 9th!

Hawkeye    0

...and the game is still tied in the 18th inning! OMG! This game is never going to end! :s

Both teams have completely exhausted their bullpens. Time to call out Nolan Ryan from his seat in the stands! LOL

Edit: It just ended! The Astros go on to the NLCS! It was the longest postseason game in history!

BroChaos    1

wow!! what a finish! i have the goosebumps, and i hate both teams. that was just as exciting as it gets right there. 2 grand slams in the game. craziness.

....    0

Dammit. Had the braves won, I was going to the St. Louis Atlanta game in Atlanta next week. :(

NeoMasamune    0

OMG! That was the longest game EVER!!! :p

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time after the ninth. The game was so intense, but great finish with Burke's homer in the 18th.

Go 'Stros!!!!!!!!!

RangerLG    42

Excellent game (equivalent of two full games). It overshadowed Oswalt's game on Saturday. I'm pulling for a little red bird payback this year. Got our starters set up. Get some runs and we got a shot.

On another note, kind of sucky that the winner of game 5 in LA has to play tomorrow night against Chicago. I guess in baseball it is not uncommon to play a game then have to be in another city the next day to play again. Just seems tough on whoever wins tonight. If it hadn't been for the rainout, last night would have been game 5 and the winner would have had an off day today.

bigbluepride35    0

Is there a more disappointing player than A-Rod when it comes to coming thorugh in the clutch in the playoffs? The guy is incredible in the regular season (he was tied with Ortiz with 19 HRs winning or tying a game) but can't do **** in the playoffs. I mean DP with no outs representing the tying run? C'mon!! The Yanks brought him in to help win the World Series again not just to get them to the playoffs. THey did that fine without him. I'd call him a bust at this point. The guy gets paid $25 million a year and he can't come up with ONE clutch hit in a critical game in two years in the playoffs? What a joke!

I'm not upset the Yanks lost by the way In fact, I'm happy. I just feel bad for bangbang) but even I can get angry that a player of his caliber can be so terrible when it matters in the postseason.

crimsonhead    0

If Arod came to my door right now I'd take out a baseball bat, open the door and yell "You can't hit in the clutch, so I'm gonna hit you in the crotch" and smash him in the face. That way he wouldnt be expecting it. What a waste of a gillion dollars.

RangerLG    42

No east coast teams left in either LCS. When is the last time that happened?

bigbluepride35    0
No east coast teams left in either LCS.? When is the last time that happened?

586656290[/snapback]

2002. Anaheim over Minnesota. Before then 1995. So since 1995 this is only the second ALCS wihout as East coast team. That's nuts. Of course, except for '97 the East coast team was always the Yanks so maybe it says more about them than the East coast in general lol.

RangerLG    42

I'm trying to think about the NLCS also. Of course before the wildcard there was only two divisions, east and west so there was almost a guarantee that an east coast team would be in the championship series.

BroChaos    1

did anybody understand why cano was called out on that dropped 3rd strike?

he was running right down the main line, one foot on the outside, one foot on the inside. is that illegal?

if he were to run completely in the box, he would have collided with the first baseman, who was standing on the foul side.

RangerLG    42

Angels pulled it out tonight. I didn't watch the game. Were the White Sox rusty since they had a little layoff? Maybe going straight from the DS to the CS allowed the Angels to remain focused. I still think the ChiSox will win the series.

crimsonhead    0
did anybody understand why cano was called out on that dropped 3rd strike? 

he was running right down the main line, one foot on the outside, one foot on the inside.  is that illegal?

if he were to run completely in the box, he would have collided with the first baseman, who was standing on the foul side.

586658044[/snapback]

The way he was running might have caused the missed catch. He was running erratically.

BroChaos    1

he was? it looked like he was running right down the line to me...

since when is it the runners responsibility to turn his head and look back to see where the ball is, and then be like "gee let me step out of the way of that".

and maybe cano was gonna run to the foul side like normal, and then realized thats where the first baseman was standing, and then in an effort to avoid the ball, moved a little more towards teh infield? that could account for the erratic behaviour.

crimsonhead    0

Rookie mistake. Arod would have just waited till he caught the ball and then just slap it out of his glove. Thats what the pros do :rofl:

saotome6    0

LOL this is the first time angels win GAME 1 , In post season

bigbluepride35    0

Ok FOX is officially retarded. They're basically competing with themselves with the two LCS. I mean why didn't they have one start around 4 or 5 and the other at night? Firstly, not every cable provider carries FX (my damn Brooklyn/Bronx Cablevision doesn't and that ****es me off becuase I'd rather see the NLCS) so they lose a LOT of people that way. Plus, wherever both are available they're basically beating each other up for a share of the rating. FOX has once again amazed me with their stupidity. Whoever thought up this ingenious plan deserves a swift kick in the ass.

RangerLG    42

Don't worry, you aren't missing much for the NLCS. Looks like we'll need to regroup for game 2.

Hurmoth    518
Ok FOX is officially retarded. They're basically competing with themselves with the two LCS. I mean why didn't they have one start around 4 or 5 and the other at night? Firstly, not every cable provider carries FX (my damn Brooklyn/Bronx Cablevision doesn't and that ****es me off becuase I'd rather see the NLCS) so they lose a LOT of people that way. Plus, wherever both are available they're basically beating each other up for a share of the rating. FOX has once again amazed me with their stupidity. Whoever thought up this ingenious plan deserves a swift kick in the ass.

586664007[/snapback]

Is it Fox that decides when games start or is it Major League Baseball?

Edited by Hurmoth

bigbluepride35    0

Wow the ump blew that one. That sure as hell looked like a clean catch to me. Way to give the game away. Absolutely TERRIBLE way to end a good game. No official in any sport should so blatantly decide the outcome of a game. BTW, I'm referring to the Angels-White Sox game for those of you who didn't see it. Watch for the highlights and you'll see what I'm talking about lol. And yeah didn't even think of it but on SC they just pointed out, that sure as hell looked like a punch-out sign the ump gave. Normally, a strike just puts the arm up not doing the across the body arm swipe.

Edited by bigbluepride35

bigbluepride35    0
Is it Fox that decides when games start or is is Major League Baseball?

586664522[/snapback]

Trust me the networks have a HUGE amount of control deciding start times. It's part of the contracts. I mean it's bonehead on both sides but I just picked on FOX because that was the first thing I thought to be angry at lol.